PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Squeekers

manda_moo87
10-11-2004, 12:20 PM
As many of you probably know I recently adopted Misty, my new cat. She's living in the Garage which has been set up into a nice room for her and she's out in our yard a good part of the day and is loving it! Anyways... it seems Squeekers is furious at us for getting another cat. Her behavior has been very un Squeekers like lately. She's even bitten my Grandma and Mom which is something she'd NEVER do. :eek: I don't know what do about her. I mean she's still getting TONS of attention from us, and she's still got the house completely to herself so I don't understand what her problem is. :rolleyes:

Yesterday while Misty was outside Squeekers was at the screen door watching her. Then Misty saw her and troted over to greet her but as she approached Squeekers started growling and hissing at her and frightening poor Misty away.

What's really making me nervous is I overheard my Mom and Grandma talking this morning and my Grandma is very upset about Squeekers behavior and I think she wants us to give Misty up... but I could NEVER do that, I love that cat with all my heart, I love both my girls so much. :(

Anyone have any advice on what to do with Squeek?? :confused:

manda_moo87
10-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Bump :p

jazzcat
10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear about this. All I can tell you is it takes time, sometimes a long time for cats to adjust to each other. Maybe you could try taking a towel or blanket that Misty is using and let Squeekers smell if for a little while to start getting her used to Misty's scent.

Hopefully some others here will have better suggestions.

Good luck. I know you would hate to have to give Misty up.

manda_moo87
10-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Jazzcat, I'll give the blanket idea a try.

RedHedd
10-11-2004, 04:54 PM
It does take time. It took my two over a month to tolerate each other in the same room. They still aren't cuddle-bugs, but I have caught them on very rare occasions sleeping next to each other. Be patient. Swapping scents with the towel trick does work; albeit slowly for some.

catcrazylady
10-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Time, time, and more time! Don't give up on Misty now. You waited so long for this sweety. Eventually she and Squeekers will come to some kind of an agreement. Just be patient and I'm sure things will get better.
Is Misty ever going to be an inside kitty?

manda_moo87
10-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

Is Misty ever going to be an inside kitty?

I honestly don't know, my Mom is not to keen on it at all. If Squeekers ever accepts her then possibly. But when I move out in another 2-5 years and I have a place to keep her then SHE WILL for sure!

Jods
10-11-2004, 06:40 PM
maybe they should meet... Instead of just squeek seeing her in the yard on your property... Maybe she thinks the cats invading I dunno... Try the blanket thing first I guess, Good luck though!!:D I hope you get to keep both

catmandu
10-12-2004, 09:33 AM
It will take time,for the New Cat,to adjust,especially,if she has been ill treared,in her previous life! Patience,and TLC,does the trick,at The Found Cat Hotel.