PDA

View Full Version : I have a question...

kt_luvs_kitties
10-11-2004, 01:12 AM
My cats, Hannah and Puff are 1 year and 6 months old. I was looking them over, I do weekly checks to make sure everything is normal, no lumps, clean ears and eyes, you know the usual. But tonight I noticed something I havent before. They both have terrible teeth. Stained yellow and slightly pink inflammed gums. Hannah even has brown residue on a few of her teeth. I just took them to the vet September 13th, and they looked at them and didnt say anything about it. They are so young, I think it is unusual to have to get them a dental at such a young age. Most wait until many years before doing this. They free feed dry food all day, and I buy them anti tartre tempations treats. They do get canned food twice a day. Stash has perfect teeth. Should I be concerned? Should I brush their teeth?(with the cat toothpaste and cat toothbrush of course) Any advice? I worked for a vet for a very long time, and I have never ever seen such young kitties that are very healthy have to get this done...any help would be appreiciated. Thanks :D

slick
10-11-2004, 01:20 AM
That does seem awfully young to have stained teeth. I was told to brush my cat's teeth however I value my fingers so I don't bother. My cats are 17 and 11 and the 11 yr old has gone in twice to have toofies cleaned. I will not do it for the my 17 yr old. Why kind of wet food? I've been told that the cheap wet food such as Friskies contain some dye and I wonder if that is causing the problem.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-11-2004, 02:23 AM
That is exactly the canned wet food they eat. I only buy canned friskies. They wont eat anything else. And their dry food is purina cat chow indoor formula. I used to buy science diet, but they refused to eat it. I have tried IIams, they again turn away. I do not know why, but they dont like the expensive brands. The only one they did like was science diet hairball control, which my vet dissapproved of it because he said "it is too strong to feed daily???" I dont know what to do. :( Maybe another vet visit is in the near future?? Anyways, thank you for the advice.It gives me something to think about :D

Pickle
10-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi there

My cat had suspicious looking teeth when I got her as an adult cat from her previous owner. The vet confirmed some of her gums were inflamed and that she had bad tartre (sp?) build up, she had to have a couple of teeth removed and a full de-scale. According to my vet, some cats are pre-disposed to bad teeth, just like people.

Now Pickle eats a mix of ordinary dry food and 'Hill's Prescription Feline T/d', which are big lumps of hard food which she has to crunch through and they scour the teeth when she does it. Lucklily she loves the taste and eats those lumps first! I also sneak her little treats of - well, whatever I am having; tuna, cheese etc! So far no repeats of the bad teeth incident.

Hope you get it sorted for them, there's nothing worse than toothache!

Lisa