PDA

View Full Version : Pergo/Wood Floors? -- Info please

Kfamr
10-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Does anyone have Pergo or Wood floors?
We'd really like to get rid of the carpet in our house.
Those with dogs -- Do they scratch it or ruin it with their nails? what about wet paws? And what about high humidity.. does it warp at all?

For those who have had carpet but went with pergo/wood..
Would you recommend going pergo/wood?

Any info appreciated!

jazzcat
10-10-2004, 07:59 PM
We just got rid of carpet and had red oak wood floors installed about 4 weeks ago. Since it hasn't been long enough to know how it's going to hold up for the long run I can't comment but I can tell you that I LOVE the wood over carpet. With a dog and 5 cats in the house I'm sure it's going to get more than it's share of wear over the years but I still think I will be happier than with carpet.

At the flooring store they recommended we go with laminate (like Pergo) since we have pets but we just didn't care for the look and hollow sound of it. I know a few people who have it and love it though. It's just a matter of preference I think.

Kfamr
10-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks!

One of the things I worry aobut is the dogs jumping up and down from things. With the tile in my room now, Simba's slid a few times while jumping down. I worry it may be harder for them to lay down and get up as well.

Holly's mom
10-10-2004, 08:08 PM
My sister had pergo floors put in her kitchen a little over 3 years ago. She has a Giant Schnazuer and a cat that like to play and chase each other around, and that floor still looks brand new, it's really held up well. She's very happy with it.

Twisterdog
10-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I pulled up all the carpet in the areas of the house where my dogs are allowed several years ago, and installed pergo. I went with pergo instead of hardwood for two reasons, cost and maintenance. Pergo is essentially maintenance free, and I LOVE that.

I LOVE my floors, although I do wish I would have gotten a darker color. The light colors tend to show the dirt, and with eleven dogs I have a LOT of dirt.

My dogs have no problem whatsoever jumping and running on the floors. Even my fourteen year old, three-legged dog does fine. It took me a little while to get used to the sound of their toenails clicking, after being silent on carpet, but now I don't really notice it.

dukedogsmom
10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I don't know too much about it but I was going to mention the getting up and down part. As they get older, it will be hard for them to get up. That's really something to think about. Maybe replace the carpet?

micki76
10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Kay, we have wood in our kitchen & entry way, but I don't want it in the rest of the house. Chester has slipped a LOT in the entry way. :( We considered putting it in the rest of the house, but decided against it. Instead, we went with padless commercial grade carpet, like they have in hotels. It comes in many colors, and it's very easy to clean. Since there's no spongy pad underneath the carpet, it doesn't hold odors, plus a quick shampoo with the Bissell and it's like new. It controls the sound a lot better than wood or Pergo, too. We chose a moderate color too help disguise dirt, but with the shampooer, that's not been an issue.

If not for the dogs, I might possibly have wood throughout the house. I just don't want anyone slipping and breaking anything. Toy Fox Terriers are prone to leg breaks, and I hope to have an Italian Greyhound someday and they're notorious for leg breaks. :(

This is what our carpet & wood looks like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/The%20kids/Kids7-4387.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/The%20kids/Kids7-4389.jpg

Samantha Puppy
10-10-2004, 09:36 PM
I have pergo flooring in the foyer, kitchen and extention. The people who lived here before me had a dog, and as everyone knows, I have Samantha - there is not one scratch on the floor. I love it!

My parents got hardwood floors in 1990. By the time our dog, Rags, died in 1993, they were very scratched. I would definitely suggest Pergo over actual - it doesn't scratch, it's cheaper, and looks just as nice. :)

The only thing I'd change is that when she sits, Samantha's paws slide - so if your parents do go to wood or pergo, make sure they still have throw rugs for your dogs to have some footing on. As soon as I have some extra money and we start decorating, I'll be putting a large rug under the kitchen table AND back in the extention.

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 09:38 PM
We have natural wood floors in our kitchen, dining room and entryway, and Heidi isn't allowed in there cause her nails scratch it SO bad. They leave big divits in the floor. The few times she has snuck in there, and then she runs out, her feet have slipped on it and scratched it. That may be just our wood floors though. I don't know. We are going to replace it with laminant, though, I think.

neko1
10-11-2004, 06:01 AM
We have Pergo in our kitchen and we love it! No scratches from the kitties tearing through on their rampages, and very easy to clean...still looks like new after all these years!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-11-2004, 07:39 AM
My parents have had pergo flooring in their kitchen and foyer for about 6 years. It still looks new. They just put it in my sisters bedroom a few weeks ago and are going to do the other bedrooms too. They have a 15 year old yorkie and he does fine on it. When my dogs are at my parents house the do fine on it too. Justin and I are wanting to get rid of our carpet and put down pergo too. It has held up fine in the florida humidity so far.:)

prechrswife
10-11-2004, 07:52 AM
We have wood floors, and we love them! The only problem with the floors and the animals is that Max sometimes has trouble with slipping. Bless his heart, he's not the most coordinated of our pets.;) The biggest bonus we've discovered with wood and pets is that it is so much easier to control the pet hair situation.

sirrahbed
10-11-2004, 08:04 AM
We had our whole house recarpeted about a year ago - I still love the feel of thick carpet under my feet but it does take daily vacuuming to look good and keep the cathair under control. We had thought of laminate. We were afraid real wood wood scratch - plus it was too expensive for us. So, we went with a really good quality carpet and a Berber in the family room - Berber wears like iron and is easy to clean. The entry and kitchen has stone-look Congoleum.

lovemyshiba
10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
We just put down our floor this summer, and it's pergo as well--no scratches at all, and that's amazing with these 4 playing all the time!! No one has had any trouble on it really, but Abbey was afraid of it when we first put it down!!!