View Full Version : Mother Fights off Hawk to Save Dog

QueenScoopalot
10-10-2004, 11:14 AM
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3597146

Thu 7 Oct 2004

6:43pm (UK)
Mother Fights off Hawk to Save Dog

By Alison Purdy, PA News

A mother-of-two spoke today of her terror as she battled to prevent a giant bird of prey carrying off the family’s pet puppy.

Sophie Patterson, 37, of Ely, Cambridgeshire, was walking Alfie, a 20-week-old Border Terrier cross, with her two daughters Anna, 11, and Lucy, eight, when a Harris Hawk swooped down from a tree and locked its talons around the small dog’s body.

As the bird lifted Alfie from the ground Mrs Patterson grabbed hold of him and took part in a tug-of-war with the bird.

Mrs Patterson managed to fight off the hawk and rescue Alfie from its clutches.

“It was really scary. We were all terrified and the girls were screaming.

“The bird swooped down and picked Alfie up from the ground. I was holding on to his body and so the bird was only a couple of inches away from my face.

“The bird was pecking at the dog’s head. It definitely could have killed him,” she said.

Mrs Patterson said luckily Alfie escaped with only a couple of minor cuts and a small hole in the top of his head.

The attack happened last Thursday evening on a field, close to Davison Road.

Mrs Patterson said the bird was being exercised by its owner when the attack happened and she said she feared the bird would strike again and may even attack a child.

“I want to warn people about it so that it doesn’t happen again.

“It wasn’t the bird’s fault as it was just doing what nature intended but people who keep birds of prey should keep better control of them when they are being exercised,” she said.

Mrs Patterson said Alfie was back to full health after being treated with antibiotics.

sammy101
10-10-2004, 11:59 AM
:eek: something like that happened to me once

I was taking my godparents GSD's for a run in the bush,then the crows started swooping down at them,and trying to grab them!:eek: i couldnt beleive what i was seeing!!Crazy birds..

im glad the dog is ok!and only had a couple scrapes:)

lute
10-10-2004, 12:04 PM
that's crazy! i'm glad the puppy is ok now!

KYS
10-10-2004, 12:45 PM
What a scary story, glad it had a happy ending.

Some times in the back yard crows, mocking birds and blue jays swoop down on Rocky and try to peck him. Rocky could care less.
Usually the reason why they do this they must
have a nest near by.

A bird of prey, those suckers are huge.
Once in awhile I see hawks flying over the neighborhood.
I never worry about the big dogs, just widdle dogs
like Pepper.

LorraineO
10-10-2004, 01:00 PM
wELL THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT BRAVE QUICK THINKING MOMMY!!!

senorita02
10-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Im so glad to hear she saved him !