PDA

View Full Version : GRRRR....Does this make you mad??

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 10:22 AM
This really bothers me. Ok, I live in the country and every once in a while there will be people who drive by our house in their car with their dogs running along beside the car. I hate that so much! There's one guy who has a GSD, and he drives with his dog running along side his car, and my dad has almost hit it about 3 times and he has almost hit his dog. :mad: :mad: I don't understand why they just can't get out walk with their dog or something instead of having the dog run along side the vehicle. Its dangerous! It teaches the dog to chase cars, people almost hit them, their owners almost hit them....grrr....:mad: It makes me mad. :mad: What about you?

sammy101
10-10-2004, 10:27 AM
My godparents used to have GSD,and he used to do that,,,but they lived in a small town and he went in the bush,the dogs would just run WAY ahead and if they wanted to,they run run besides the car,but they drove really slow.Then after they would get out of the car and just go walking outside with them,he did it very safely and the dogs loved it!
Now they have a Husky/malamute mix,and a Chow/husky mix,and i dont think they do that anymore..

but that does bother me that he makes them run along side the truck???and he's doing it where other people could possibly hit the dog?? thats very dangerous...i dont agree with it.

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't like it at ALL! Cause it could get hit, and we have almost hit it about 3 times. This morning there was a pick-up that went by and it had two Golden Retrievers running along side it. :mad:

Kfamr
10-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Um... I think that's very stupid an i'm glad it's not done around here. I think it's bad no matter where it's done.

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree! I can't stand it! Its one of my pet peeves. Totally unsafe.

DogLover9501
10-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Um... I think that's very stupid an i'm glad it's not done around here. I think it's bad no matter where it's done.

I agree and am also glad it's not done around here! I have never even heard of anything like that until now!

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Wow! You have never heard of that before? :eek: It happens around here all the time. Even before I got my dog, there was a man who had GSPs, and he told me that he takes his dogs and runs them behind his pickup for 7 miles, and I thought that was wrong, even before I had a dog.

Aspen and Misty
10-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Some people do this to keep there dog's in shape, expessially people who use them for sledding but can't sled in the summer.

It's not dangerouse, if you have the right car. Like a station wagon or a van thats open in the back and the dog can run along behind the vehicle. Percautions must be taken. You have to watch for other vehicles, you have to watch to make sure your dog doesn't get tierd, and you have to watch to make sure that you aren't going ot fast. If done properly it can give the dog's wonderful exersise and give them a chance to run.

Ashley

cali
10-10-2004, 12:00 PM
we do that. we go out to the grid roads where a car other then your own is VERY rare. and we let the dogs out to run beside the van, and we drive really really really slow, and they tend to stay in the feilds beside the road anyway. the dogs anjoy it, its good exersize for them, and they get a much better workout then they could ever get on a leashed walk, or a run in the park. why? because some of our dogs are velcro dogs, if you are standing right their they will not leave you side, which makes it difficult to run them.

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I understand how it can help keep the dog in shape, but i wouldn't do it and I don't agree with it mainly because you are driving a vehicle which is large and things can happen. The dog could dart in front of it, the dogs foot could slip under a tire, etc. It just seems unsafe to me, and I would never do it.

kingrattus
10-10-2004, 03:29 PM
If its done properly & safely & the dog is TRAINED (if ur using a car & on the road), there is no problem with it.

My ex-friend & myself us to run her 200 pound Rotti tied to the back of the 4-wheeler. At this time the dog was not trained at all & was a dog killer. He was over powering both of us no matter what we did (there were no such things as a prong collar at this time in our town/area.

We had a retractable leash that I held. Her property was large enough to drive on & there was a little hill too which was fun. I would sit facing backwards & she would drive the 4-wheeler. Since we weren't going fast we could hear eachother talk with no problem, so if I said faster he bitting the 4-wheeler again then we would go just fast enough to keep a distance & he he stopped all of a sudden the leash gave us 30 feet to hit the breaks.

-----

Before Ceazar a guard Rotti was trained to walk on a leash, his owner would chain him to the car rear bumper & his kids would sit in the trunk of the car making all was well. They ran/walked him on abandoned roads in the middle of nowhere & if a car did go on that road u could see & hear them coming miles away.

-----

I use to run RB Max on my bike in the neighbourhood & in the bush. He was never tied up to my bike & he was trained to only walk in sidewalks & not roads so I never had a problem & he was trained to stop & sit at corners until I approved all was well. & in the bush he just had to stay away from me, which he picked up quickly & would stay ahead about 30 feet. he understood left & right so I only had to LEFT or RIGHT to make sure he went down the right path.

Also rollerblading with RB Max was fun. I cannot rollerblade on my own, I need a stop & go, I can turn on my own. Max also understood RUN (faster) & SLOW (slower duh) & STOP (which ment walk infront of me & make me stop with his harness!!!)..

Those were the good days :)

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Well. the people that I have seen do it, certainly don't do it proper, then. I just don't like it thats all, but that MHO. :) I run my dog on my bike, but we are out in the country and so she runs out in the field along side the dirt road while i am doing it. I have had people ask me if i had a four wheeler so that I could ride and she could run, but I don't and if I did, I wouldn't do it, because to me its just too dangerous, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. But thats again, just my honest opinion. :)