View Full Version : I need EXCUSES everyone!

catnapper
10-10-2004, 08:27 AM
On Friday, my SIL told us about a birthday party for my neice. The party is today. Hubby can't make it because there is an out-of-town soccer tournament all day. My other daughter can't go because she has to work, and my son because he needs to study (hadn't had a chance all weekend with taking the SATs and all) So I'd be going ALONE... to my HUSBAND'S family! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hubby says HE wouldn't go alone to MY family's party, so he doesn't expect me to go to his. Whew. So I'm not that big of a creep for not wanting to go.

Problem is... they do this to us al the time. "This" being they wait til a day or two before the party, and expect us to drop everything else and come. We are busy people and we can't just do that. I'm actually surprised we got a whole two days notice this time! Ususally we get a cal the morning of the party. We are always the last to know and then made to feel guilty if we can't come.

And I'm NOT going! Their house is DIRTY and STINKY! Their 3 year old just squats and pees on the carpet (in her toddler mind she figures why not, the dogs do it too!) There's nowhere to sit, and they never have anything to drink outside beer and Koolaid.

So after this rambling rant, I need a plausible excuise as to why I also cannot attend the festivities. Here's what we've got so far (and not liking either) Grant thinks I can say one of the cats got sick and I'm at the emergency vet clinic (but if that really happened I'd feel really guilty for the lie) The other is that I had a proposal approved late friday, but the order needs to be in by Monday and the client made some last minute changes that I'm trying to make before the deadline... I know someone can come up with better!

puppyluvs
10-10-2004, 08:32 AM
I would just say I am sorry I have to much to much personal business to take care of this weekend and I am not gonna be able to make it !

Aspen and Misty
10-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Hmm, how about...

Thankyou for the invite, but we have some things going on this weekend and :Insert Sons Name Here: is studying for the SAT's and I need to be around for him to ask me questions. I really wish I could come to ::insert neices name here:: party, but it just doesn't seem possible. Please give her a hug and kiss from me!

LOL, I dunno. But then you aren't lieing. You DO need to be around for him to ask you questions!

Ash

puppyluvs
10-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Hmm, how about...

Thankyou for the invite, but we have some things going on this weekend and :Insert Sons Name Here: is studying for the SAT's and I need to be around for him to ask my questions. I really wish I could come to ::insert neices name here:: party, but it just doesn't seem possible. Please give her a hug and kiss from me!

LOL, I dunno. But then you aren't lieing. You DO need to be around for him to ask you questions!

Ash

Ash is right you do need to be there for your son, so just tell em' so......They can like it or lump it .....hehehehe

Jods
10-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Yeah thats what I'd say as well... Sorry, but you didn't give us much notice or get your husband to say that then maybe next time they'll tell you more in advance, so you can think of better excuses lol :) :D ;)

KYS
10-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Tell them how sorry you are, and your family wishes
they had a bit more notice but your husband and children
already have made plans and you are not feeling well.

catnapper
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Ooo... the "helping with homework" excuse is entirely realistic. My son probably DOES have a paper or project due this week that he needs my help on, He usually waits til the last minute and then we're up til after midnight the day its due :rolleyes:

Sorry if you all misunderstood me, but he took the SATS yesterday and didn't do any projects or homework the few previous nights because he was studying for the SATs. Keep your fingers crossed that he did well... a lot of colleges are looking at him and waiting to see how he did on the SATs.

Tonya
10-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by puppyluvs
I would just say I am sorry I have to much to much personal business to take care of this weekend and I am not gonna be able to make it !

You are better off saying that because then you are less likely to get stuck in a lie. The more specific you are, the more likely to get caught.

Also, next time around, instead of lying...I'd say "Oh, shoot! I wish I'd known sooner. I can't make it, we already have plans."

Corinna
10-10-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree with Tonya. You don't have to tell them any thing else. Why is it we always feel we have to explain more?

catnapper
10-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I am ending up going to a Pet Expo today, so I will just tell her that I had plans related to the fosters (which is semi-true... I have to return a borrowed cage to Jen and say goodbye to Sweet Annie before her big trip to England... and I'm supposed to get Babycakes possibly sometimes today) and gee, thanks, but please give us more time next time (which is what we tell them evry time.)

dukedogsmom
10-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't ever want to go there. Sounds horrible! Those kids are really going to have trouble with other kids. They don't even need to have any animals or kids. Where's the child welfare people? Sounds like they need to be investigated.

jazzcat
10-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Sounds like you have the perfect excuse with the fosters. I mean today is Babycakes big day to come home. That is much more important and you don't have to make up a story.

Kim - please give sweet Annie a big hug for me, if that is possible. If not just send her some eye kisses from me.

rg_girlca
10-10-2004, 12:34 PM
They allow their 3 year old daughter to squat and pee on the carpet. :eek: That is preposterous. I've never heard of such a thing and they let the dogs do it also??????
I don't blame you for not wanting to step into that house. How disgusting. How can people live like that.??????

Okay, i'm getting off the topic here as that comment really blew my mind.

I agree with what others have said in regards to having made other plans and that you wish you had more notice.

Lets her 3 year old squat and pee on the carpet. I just can't get over that.:eek:

jazzcat
10-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
They allow their 3 year old daughter to squat and pee on the carpet. :eek: That is preposterous. I've never heard of such a thing and they let the dogs do it also??????
I don't blame you for not wanting to step into that house. How disgusting. How can people live like that.??????

Okay, i'm getting off the topic here as that comment really blew my mind.

I agree with what others have said in regards to having made other plans and that you wish you had more notice.

Lets her 3 year old squat and pee on the carpet. I just can't get over that.:eek:

I was thinking that was pretty nasty myself. I believe I'd always have a reason not to go to that house, ick!

gini
10-10-2004, 12:51 PM
All of us get into the trap of saying too much. "I cannot attend because.............." It is the because that gets us into trouble.

No lies.........no excuses..........just say, thank you, but I cannot attend.

They will guilt you whether you give an excuse that may not be true.........and guilt you if you give none.

kuhio98
10-10-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm not into excuses. The truth is always best. The truth isn't a bad, hurtful thing.

I'm sorry, we can't attend. Please give us more notice next time.

What's wrong with that?

chocolatepuppy
10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
After years of RSVPing my in-laws for stupid parties,cook outs,etc... I learned to say 'Sorry we can't make it we have other plans, thanks for inviting us.' And my other plans may be to curl up and spend the evening with my furkids but it's still plans and not a lie!:)

cubby31682
10-10-2004, 06:52 PM
I hate short notices. If we get a notice we have to be somewhere a day or two in advance we always tell them no, and that they didn't give us enough time to make plans. We use to drop every thing and go but now we refuse. We get told alot sooner now. Just call them and tell them that they gave you short notice so you are going to give them short notice that you and your family will not be attending. :)

catnapper
10-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Ok, I didn;t go... thank God! And she never asked why. I had told her Friday night that I didn't know what I was going to be doing, but that I'd come if I could make it. Well, I wasn't about to go alone!

And yes, she does just squat and pee. She is 100% naked more than not. They simply cannot keep clothes on the kid, nor do they really try. They don;t want to "ruin her sense of self and inhibition" yeah, right. Its easier to let her do what she wants than it is to keep shoving clothes back on her!

animal_rescue
10-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I remember once when I was baby-sitting this little 2 year old girl, well I left her in the living room watching a movie because I was on my you know and when I came back into living room she had pooped and smeared it all over the couch! Ok one thing I learned is never go to the bathroom while your baby-sitting and two little kids are evil! She was laughing and came up to me and smeared it on my leg! OMG I was so close to throwing up, but I put that aside picked her up :s and gave her a bath. well, when the parents got back I told them what happened, the mom said"oh she does that a lot" like it was just that casual! I mean I know I shouldn't have gone to the bathroom but I really couldn't have helped it..... anyways needless to stay I haven't baby-sat for them

Kfamr
10-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by catnapper

And yes, she does just squat and pee. She is 100% naked more than not. They simply cannot keep clothes on the kid, nor do they really try. They don;t want to "ruin her sense of self and inhibition" yeah, right. Its easier to let her do what she wants than it is to keep shoving clothes back on her!

WOW! They need a big lesson on parenting. so when their daughter becomes 14-15 and she starts ripping her clothes off infront of people they're not going to stop her? :rolleyes:

Glad you didn't have to go!!!

pitc9
10-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Okay... and people ask me why I don't have kids yet!!!
:D

Now I can say "At least I can potty train my dogs!"

puppyluvs
10-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
Okay... and people ask me why I don't have kids yet!!!
:D

Now I can say "At least I can potty train my dogs!"

LMAO Pitc 9 You know you are right.... Gosh I know this may be harsh to say but thank goodness kids grow up...lol...Mine are grown now well for the most part...lol...