PDA

View Full Version : Conformation Equipment

Miranda_Rae
10-09-2004, 01:00 PM
I know that a lot of you don't do conformation, but I need some info. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who I am going to be showing this November in a dog show in Canada, and I don't know what kind of equipment I would need for that! Does anybody know, like what kind of brushes, scissors, etc? I have the show lead and collar. Thanks!

Miranda Rae

K9soul
10-09-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure exactly after show lead and collar. I showed my RB collie in conformation years ago but the coat care and prep is very different from what a pointer would be I'd think. Perhaps you can do a search on preparing a pointer for the ring or maybe someone else here can help you though I don't think many PTers have been involved in showing. We do have a couple who do grooming however.

Miranda_Rae
10-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks! Yes, I am sure its a lot different. I know a lot of people don't do showing on this website, so I kind of feel like, I don't know, stupid maybe? Well thanks again.

Miranda Rae

K9soul
10-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Don't feel stupid, it can never hurt to ask! :)

Miranda_Rae
10-09-2004, 01:20 PM
No, I feel stupid cause I am probably the only one on this webiste that shows their dog, so therefore I feel, I don't know stupid cause I know a lot of peopel are against that. So yeah.

Miranda Rae

Shelteez2
10-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Have you been going anywhere for handling classes?
Are you able to ask your dog's breeder?

I know all breeds are different when it comes to showing. With shelties most breeders I know use thin nylon slip collars along with a thin nylon leash. What color of of collars and leashes they use depends on the color of dog.

Some breeds use thin closely linked slip chains.

Maybe, if you can't get ahold of your breeder you can look up websites of GSP breeders and see what they are using in their show photos.

As for other things you may need. Your dog should be clean with the nails trimmed nice and short before the show. I have a friend who breeds and shows dobermans and she has a nice fuzzy cloth she uses to sort of buff the dog up and make it shiney before the ring. I'm not sure if she puts a grooming product on the cloth or not though.
You will also need to find out if GSPs are typically shown with or without whiskers as you will need to trim them if they are supposed to be trimmed.

I know with Jr Handling though they judge the handler and not the dog.

Good luck and have fun!

Miranda_Rae
10-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Thank you very much. I know that GSP's are shown without whiskers, and I have the show lead and collar. I have tried contacting my breeder before about just general things, but he didn't respond. :mad: There aren't any handling classes around here. :( So, thank you very much!

~Miranda Rae~

Corinna
10-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I used to show springers and that taakes tons of grooming . I would call the local breed club or AKC afflite in your area and just ask. You could talk to sevearl different groomers in your area.
Have fun and good luck. Shepards are a hard breed to show and there are usuall lots of them there. Keep us posted.
oops GSP threw me sorry . Most of the pointers just need wiskers trimed and the hair in the pads trimmed.

Miranda_Rae
10-10-2004, 11:23 AM
oh no, shes not a Shepard. Shes a German Shorthaired Pointer, but thanks for tip on calling my local club....good advice. :)