PDA

View Full Version : Daisy... what a scare!

GoldenRetrLuver
10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
... First off, she's fine! Here's the story.

I came home from school after my mom dropped me off, because she had to go to my sister's Girl Scout Meeting. I immediately went out to the backyard to see the dogs, and I saw Daisy laying in the patio, with her head down. I knew SOMETHING had to be wrong, because both she and Molly usually come running up to the door as soon as they hear it opening. I went over to her, and she sat up, and was foaming at the mouth, and I saw little specks of blood where her head was resting on the patio. She wasn't panting at all, just breathing. I immediately brought her inside, and she began to paw at her mouth like something was in there, and making "hacking" noises like she was about to vomit. I looked down her throat again, and I didn't see anything. I called my mom and dad, and a few minutes later my mom came home, and we rushed her to the vet.

When we got there, we had to wait for a few minutes before the vet would take her, because they also had a few other emergency cases as we brought her in. Her breathing was fine then, so she was made to wait.

The vet finally took her back to the office, and we were waiting without her for about 20 minutes... so, of course, I began to panic and wonder what was happening. (not like I wasn't beforehand.. :() They finally came back with Daisy, and the vet showed us this...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pd0cf06fbc90792864a43f6c1e5acbb6a/f6b7c3dc.jpg
This piece of hard, black plastic was wrapped around her very last back tooth, and almost protruding into her gum. He said she was really putting up a fight when he was trying to get it off, and almost had to put her under to do so. Thankfully, he finally got it off of her tooth. He said to just watch her, and a little bleeding around the area where it was would be normal, and that she shouldn't have any problems drinking, eating, etc.

She's EXHAUSTED now, and she's laying at my feet. I just thank GOD it was a happy ending, because it could have been much, much worse. We found out that the little black object was a piece of a sprinkler head she had bitten off, after I searched the entire yard. That little bugger! Of course, I don't care about the sprinkler; I'm just glad my baby is okay.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/p2846021b27ceb76b7edaa24a166843b1/f6b7c3e7.jpg

*sigh* :rolleyes: What am I going to do with her! I'm still shocked and stunned with the whole ordeal.. who knows how long she could've been like that! :( We're now going to be extra, extra careful about what is out in the yard, and tomorrow we're going to do yet another "dog proofing" of it.

chocolatepuppy
10-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Wow how scary for you! Thank goodness Daisy's ok!

shutterbug0303
10-08-2004, 08:36 PM
wow Daisy!! What a tough day! Glad that everything is ok! Get some rest and have a great day outside tomorrow with everyone "puppy-proofing" the yard! hehe :D

popcornbird
10-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh my GOSH!!!!!!! :eek::( What a horrible scare!!!! THANK GOD Daisy's alright!!!!!!! Thank God!!!

Hugs to you and Daisy.

Tonya
10-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I am glad she's ok! I recognized what that black plastic was right away. haha. Unfortunatly, we find those little black shards of plastic around our backyard way to often!

micki76
10-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh Julie, how scary!!! :eek: Thank goodness it wasn't anything worse. I'm so glad she's ok!

I pick up the poop every evening after work, and when I do that, I usually look for dangerous/unusual stuff in the yard. Before we got our new fence, I would also make "trouble checks" as Michael would call them, lol. I would examine the fence and make sure it was still sturdy and had no weak boards, etc.

Can you tell I'm a worry wart! :p

sabies
10-08-2004, 09:23 PM
How awful. Daisy I'm so glad you are ok!

DogLover9501
10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
:eek: How scary, Julie!!

I'm glad Daisy is okay, I think she'll think twice about what she chews on from now on ;)

I think because of this Im going to look in the yard tomorrow :eek: :o

KYS
10-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Poor baby!

Sending Daisy oodles of (((hugs))).

jenfer
10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
daisy, i am glad you are ok. be careful and don't eat "crap", ok? hugs to you. :)

bckrazy
10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
oh no! thank god Daisy is ok. Daisy, youve gotta stop scaring your mom like that!! ^_~

lovemyshiba
10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm so glad Daisy is ok!! I would have been so scared too!!
When I scoop the yard, which is daily during the warm months, I always look for stuff too. When our deck was being built, I was a nutcase about checking for nails and stuff. My husband said the guy who was building it was very meticulous about cleaning up, so not to worry (what????), but I did find a few stray nails:eek:

Please give Daisy a few gentle hugs from me.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Thank you guys! I gave her hugs for all of you. :D

We always check for stuff in the yard that might be hazardous for them too. I just never thought sprinklers would be one of them! She's back to her normal, playful self now. It didn't seem to affect her permantely. :p She's playing in the den with Molly now, haha. But, we'll be sure to be EXTRA careful from now on...

Tina
10-09-2004, 11:05 AM
OMG! That is so scary!:eek:

I'm so glad to hear that Daisy is ok.:)

CamCamPup33
10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
:eek: :( Oh my gosh!

Thank god she's okay. I was getting nervous just reading it, :p

Aw, Poor Daisy..

Glad she's okay!

aly
10-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Sweet Daisy! I am SO glad that she is okay and that you took such fast action to help her. I think she deserves to be pampered today :D I'm sure you're already taking care of that!

puppyluvs
10-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Oh sweetie I know that had to be one more scare for you ...Thank God Daisy is o.k. Hope she is doing better...
Hugs

shais_mom
10-09-2004, 11:56 AM
poor baby!
how scary!!!
It must be the GR thing that they LOVE to tear things up. I had to ahem help Keegan go to the bathroom last nite b/c she tore up her new rope toy..

:rolleye: :o
bleckkky!

hugs to Daisy

lute
10-09-2004, 12:01 PM
that's so scary! i'm glad she's ok. just a unfortinate reminder to dog-proof your yard more then once.

Miranda_Rae
10-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I am glad that she is ok! That would have scared the heck out of me if it was Heidi! :eek: I would be freaking out too. Glad shes ok.

Miranda Rae

K9soul
10-09-2004, 01:11 PM
OMG Julie I can imagine how horrified and distressed you must have been! What an awful nightmarish scene when you went out to greet her, one doesn't get over a scare like that easily. :(. I'm so so glad she's okay, like Poppy said, thank God! *hugs* to you and Daisy girl (and Molly too :))

ChrisH
10-09-2004, 02:25 PM
That was scary! Glad to hear she is ok.

dappledoxie
10-09-2004, 02:32 PM
OH no! How scary, poor girl, I'm glad she's ok and you too. :)

RobiLee
10-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Very Scary! I'm so glad Daisy is ok though.

Hugs for you Daisy!

Robin :)

pitc9
10-10-2004, 07:01 AM
OMG... Thank GOD she is okay!!

I'm sure you were loosing your mind!!
Very happy to hear the happy ending!

Now Daisy... leave those silly sprinklers alone!!!:p

GoldenRetrLuver
10-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks again, guys! You're the best! :) We did another dog proofing of the yard over the weekend, so hopefully nothing like this happens again.

Well, she doesn't seem to be affected at all with what happened just a few days ago. No signs of blood, trouble eating or drinking, so looks like all is well!

Of course both she and Molly were pampered and spoiled -- we took a trip to Petco and picked them up some of their favorite treats, bones, and a new toy.

I'm still getting over from the scare.. it usually takes me a while when things like this happen. :( *Sigh* Silly girl.. we're even looking into getting some Pet Insurance, just in case. :o