PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy

Tracey
10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I have the chance to get a new puppy. I am so lost without my Tyler. No other dog could ever take his place. But I really feel the need to take care of a new baby puppy! It would give me something positve to focus on. I still weep for my baby. There have been so many changes in my life lately. The one thing I failed to mention, is that we have just purchased our first home. Ole Tyler hung on until we got here. We were here for a week and a half before he went to the R.B. Just the way he looked at me before he passed, I know he doesn't want me to be sad. But I am in a strange place, a whole new area. I miss him so much. My husband thinks we should wait to get a new puppy. I feel so strongly the need to get one, what do you think? Anybody? I am not working at this time, and I have a lot of time on my hands. I think it would be a good time. My husand is greiving too. And I have already gone through this in my mind, that it would somehow hurt Tyler to get another dog. But I know better, he lived a good long life, and he was happy and loved! And I know he wouldn't want me being miserable. I know my husband would accept this, once he smelled puppy breath on his face, and hugged the little guy. What a difference between a good ole boy, and a new pup, who has to be taught everything. (More changes), but I am up to it. Please any feedback on your own personal experiences would help. I really want to be a mommy again!!!!

Thank You, Tracey

PJ's Mom
10-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Only you know what's needed to help you get over the pain of losing your Tyler. A lot of people find getting another dog immediately really helps.

After I lost my Rottie, I regretted waiting so many years before getting Peej. I think it would've helped. Maybe it will help you, too.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

Karen
10-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Listen to your heart. Perhaps find prospective pups, then show your husband pictures (petfinder.org is a great resource) and stories and see who melts his heart!

One dog never really "replaces" another. Tyler will always have his place in your hearts, and the miracle of love is that our hearts expand to fit another dog or pet, rather than just having room for one at a time.

carole
10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
If you feel in your heart getting a new puppy would help your grieving process, by all means go with your feelings, I waited too long to replace my kitty, it may have seemed short to many people , but my heartache was so unbearable, I wished in hindsight I had gotten my new kitty sooner, as once I did, it sure helped me focus on my new arrival, and although not forget my Sooti, it helped ease the pain considerably, however I have to say if I had chosen my new kitty sooner, I would have missed out on the best kitty in the world, my sweet loving Lexie.

So I suggest just go with what you feel is the best for you, things have a funny way of working out.

Sudilar
10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Shortly after the passing of any of my beloved pets, I begin by searching for another to save. It usually takes me about a month or two before finding the perfect fit. I feel that there is no better way to honor my RB rescue dog than to find another to rescue. Save a life, adopt.

tatsxxx11
10-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Everyone before me has echoed my thoughts...follow your heart:) It's a very individual decision; but your heart will tell you when the time is right. Some people need more time, others less. Either way, a new pup will not be a replacement for your Tyler, but a way of honoring him, by sharing your love with another deserving pup! When I lost my heartdog Jing, I was lost and miserable, crying every day, heartbroken. Getting a new doggie allowed me channel my heartbreak into love; it was the best decision I could have made. I think it was about 2 months after her passing that my new one came home. And this seems to be an ideal time for you to welcome home a new one, being home all day to acclimate him/her, train, etc! Good luck:) And please accept my heartfelt sympathies on the passing of Tyler...so hard:(

LorraineO
10-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Welcome ot Pt,,, And I am sorry about your baby,,,,, Like what others have said,, do what feels right for you and hubby.....

GraciesMommy
10-09-2004, 02:25 PM
My Mercedes went to RB one year ago this month (halloween to be exact) and I said I would never get another..I had her for 16 years...
WELL, 9 months to the day.....I now have Gracie...my baby girl...a yorkie poo....so its been almost 3 months now...she is 4 months and 2 weeks and spoiled absolutely ROTTEN...lol

I do not feel Gracie is taking Mercedes place...not one bit...no different than losing a child and having another baby..they do not replace the one lost. I loved Mercedes to pieces, still think about her every day. This month has been hard...with the anniversary coming up. I never dreamed that I could love another one like I do Gracie. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to bond with her like I did Mercedes....not a problem~

And it sounds like this is a great time for you to get one..you have time for the potty training...bonding, giving lotsa love...

I have a feeling you have already decided...lol..so post your pics when your new baby comes home!!

PS...We called Mercedes "Mercy" a lot....and now we have Gracie...so we have had "mercy and grace"...kinda cool....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/pamelagraves/collage4gracie.gif

doggylovr6
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
yes that is a very good idea!! getting a new puppy is sort of filling in that place in your heart which was broken. Same with me happend. I got a new puppy after my dog summer died and it helpd and over time, i started feeling better. if you want some advice, if it eezes the pain any eezier, try getting a dog that isnt the same breed, or i meen, if you want to, yea. RIP Tyler, say hi to Summer for me at the RB

andrea

carole
10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Funny you should say that, I had every intention of choosing a new kitty (when my Sooti died) that was a completely different colour, sooti was all black, hence his name, and as you can see below I ended up with Lexie another black beauty with a little white dot.

When that baby looked at me under a blanket with those beautiful yellow eyes at the mall, I said OH MY GOSH she looks just like Sooti., funny thing is , Lexie is so alike in personality and her ways.

your new puppy will find you, and you will know when and if the time is right.

cyber-sibes
10-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Your heart will tell you when you find the right baby! But take your time...I started looking for another dog a couple months after we lost our girl. It took us a long time to finally find the "right" dog to add to our family, we brought home two dogs, first one from a rescue and then one we adopted from the shelter, but our other dog seemed so distressed, we returned those doggies. (I understand they now have good homes, too) I found our new boy on the internet and travelled three hours to meet him - and it's been five months now and he is exactly what we were looking for. His presence has really helped me not to grieve so much for my Rosie. And Star couldn't be happier!