PDA

View Full Version : Neutering your kitties...

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 01:52 PM
How much did it cost for you to neuter your kitties and at what age did you have it done?

Thanks!
Jaime

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I just called my vet this morning to ask about that for Rocky and Rumor. They said they will do it at 5-6 months of age and it's $82 to spay and $65 to neuter.

The shelter where I adopted Jazz and Scout runs a low cost spay and neuter in a neighboring county and they will do kittens as young as 12 weeks for $35. I just don't feel safe about it for some reason. They had already spayed Jazz when I adopted her at 14 weeks old and it blew my mind. I'm going to wait until R&R are 5 months and my trusted vet do it even though it costs more. I feel safer.

Okay I just called back to ask if they keep them overnight (they do) and this vet tech told me they will do the surgery as early as 4 months of age.

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks. :)

The reason I ask is for Sushi and Sake/Miso/Kirin/Wasabi. I just called my vet and asked how much it'd be... it's $35 for a pre-surgical exam, $70 for the surgery itself, and $17.50 for the pain meds they give us to take home afterwards. That just sounds like a lot to me, but if it isn't really supposed to be done 'til 5-6 months old, that isn't 'til January or February for my future boys, so it's doable.

The Cat Factory
10-08-2004, 02:19 PM
I think when I got Peppurr and Zeus done, is was $20. I'm not sure if the price is still the same. Zipper has got to go in soon to get neutered...

Zeus was around 5 months old when he was done, and I do not remember how old Peppurr was :)

Uabassoon
10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I've never had to take any of then in myself because they both came already fixed since they were from the shelter. But our humane society charges $55 for females and $30 for males.

aly
10-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I found Shiloh when she was about 7 months old and got her spayed a month later. She had to stay overnight which I HATED and I would never do again. They are much better off recovering at home. A lot of vets that keep them overnight don't even have staff there looking after them in the night time! It cost around $140.

I got Skylar done at 8 weeks and felt 100% safe. The shelters here do hundreds and hundreds of spay/neuters on 8 week old animals every week with no problems. As long as the kitty is healthy and at least 2 lbs, it is safe. I've seen it so many thousands upon thousands of times over the years that I feel safe. I dropped Skylar off at 8am and picked him up at noon the same day.

I get all of my fosters done at the low cost clinic. It is $25 for a female and $20 for a male. They also have low cost vaccinations. It REALLY helps me because I care for all of my fosters with my own money. They aren't funded by the shelter or a rescue group.

If you ask me, fixing them sooner rather than waiting until they're 6 months old is much better. Easier to avoid behavior and health problems if you just get it done early. I know tons of people prefer waiting and there is nothing wrong with that. This is just my opinion after all that I have seen. And I probably see on average 100 spay/neuteres per week for the past 5 years.

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info., Aly. Do you have any suggestions on how to find low-cost clinics in different areas? :(

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info Aly. I wasn't sure how safe it was to have them done early. The low cost clinic will let you drop them off at 8 am and pick them up by 5 same day. Is it really better to bring them home? I can't remember how it worked with Ripley.

Jazz was done at 10-12 weeks of age and she had no problems. I do love my vet though.

sirrahbed
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Just back from the white coats myself and discussed this with them. Females are $90 and males are $65. They are kept overnight after the surgery and the price includes a Capstar to makes sure no fleas are brought in or brought out, an antibiotic (precaution), pain medication plus the overnight and a return office visit for the female for suture removal. I think we will stick with our vet. I know it costs more but I am such a worry wart and love how pampered I feel when I go to this particular vet and love his staff as well. I just like having all the records and care done at one place where they know my animals.
Oh yes, and they also recommend waiting until 6 months but I did not ask why.:rolleyes: I wish I had!

catlady1945
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
We had ours done so long ago, I am sure the prices are much higher now. The price you were quoted sounds about right for our area, anyway. We were told 7-8 months of age. My females stayed overnight, but the males came home later in the day.

aly
10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Thanks for the info Aly. I wasn't sure how safe it was to have them done early. The low cost clinic will let you drop them off at 8 am and pick them up by 5 same day. Is it really better to bring them home? I can't remember how it worked with Ripley.

Jazz was done at 10-12 weeks of age and she had no problems. I do love my vet though.

If you love your vet, I'd say definately stay with them! There is nothing worse than not trusting your vet. I happen to know the vets at the low cost clinic here and have complete trust in them, but I'm sure not everyone is so lucky.

I definately think it is better to bring them home. Then again I feel comfortable with it since I've become accustomed to helping the shelter animals come out of their surgeries. If your vet is one who recommends staying overnight, ask him if there will be staff there with the kitties. If not, I'd definately demand to bring them home the same day. I think it is terrible for them to be alone overnight recovering by themselves :(

Jaime - what city do you live in? I can help you look for a clinic in your area.

cubby31682
10-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Cubby was fixed at 6 months old, my vet charged me 45$ to get it done. He had to stay over night because the medication they gave him was to much for his system. They gave him the correct amount according to age/weight, but it was to much for him. After I brought him home they told me not to let him jump. I let him out of his jail cell and went to bed I woke up to a purring Cubby staring right at me on the bed. He jumped up there on is own. When you have your future cats done try to make sure they don't jump. :D

rosethecopycat
10-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Oh yes, and they also recommend waiting until 6 months but I did not ask why.:rolleyes: I wish I had! [/B][/QUOTE]

I think most vets are not proficient at pediatric spay/neuter.
The organs are very tiny.

My vet wants to wait till 6 months, problem is, Siamese go into heat, typically month earlier than other breeds. And I can't keep these fosters around that long, while others are waiting to get into rescue.

So, I have the spay/neuter done at a facility that routinely does pediatric.
2 lbs and they are fine.

I have no choice.

catnapper
10-08-2004, 08:36 PM
This was a year ago, but here's what I paid (I pulled the bill :D )

Torbugesic - $10 (what is that???)
Castration - $75
Pre-surgical labwork - $35

I also had a $23 discount after you totaled all those, though I have no idea why.
:confused:

He was 7 months (we doidn't have the money at 6 months or earlier) Poor guy had it done on New years Eve.

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by aly
Jaime - what city do you live in? I can help you look for a clinic in your area. I live IN Westminster, MD. Some larger suburbs around me are Frederick, MD; Mt. Airy, MD; Columbia, MD; Owings Mills/Reisterstown, MD; and Baltimore...

Thanks!

Tonya
10-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I don't remember. Mine may have already been fixed when I got them. My memory has gotten so bad lately!

leslie
10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
I have never in my life heard of giving pain medications to a cat after a neuter (which is a non-invasive surgery) or a spay which is more Invasive. Nor have I witnessed any of my cats showing signs of pain after a normal spay or neuter. So that is one medication you should say "no thank you" to. That is pure going for your wallet.
Males can safely be neutered at age 8 weeks. Femals can be spayed at 3 months. There is new technology for males only and I don't know where it is being used but it involves shrinking the testicles instead of surgery. Jan knows more about than I do. I will send this post to her! She can enlighten us on the newest procedure though I don't know that it is being used really anywhere..

sirrahbed
10-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by leslie
I have never in my life heard of giving pain medications to a cat after a neuter (which is a non-invasive surgery) or a spay which is more Invasive. Nor have I witnessed any of my cats showing signs of pain after a normal spay or neuter.
I do not mean to be disagreeable but castration IS invasive. They incise the scrotum, removes the testicles and either suture with dissolving stitches or supeglue the skin together. I know some places are using a newer technology but the procedure my vet uses is surgical excision. As far as the spay - it is like having a hysterectomy. Good grief - I am GLAD to get the Torbugesic (or some type of pain medication) for the babies. It's cheap - about $10 according to catnapper's breakdown and included in the entire fee at my vet's whether we refuse it or not. It also keeps them mildly sedated and comfortable for several hours after the surgery which is desirable for their recovery. I would never refuse the pain medication for them.

QueenScoopalot
10-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
This was a year ago, but here's what I paid (I pulled the bill :D )

Torbugesic - $10 (what is that???)
Castration - $75
Pre-surgical labwork - $35

I also had a $23 discount after you totaled all those, though I have no idea why.
:confused:

He was 7 months (we doidn't have the money at 6 months or earlier) Poor guy had it done on New years Eve.

Males shouldn't have any need for pain meds, and for females it's optional. Friends Of Animals has a country wide 'low cost' program, but it covers only the price of the alter. 1-800-321-PETS, or http://friendsofanimals.org/ on the net. My vet charges $35. for males/$45. for females, and $10. for shots (buts that's discounted greatly). Full paying customers can expect double that anyway. I have had kittens altered at 2 LBs. as well with no problems at all. With all the irresponsible peolple in this world, I feel all should be fixed before being adopted. Only in a perfect world *sigh* :rolleyes: As far as the shot to shrivel up testicles, I'm not sure its even being used on cats yet. Mutters to self...sure know some people who could use that shot ;)

catcrazylady
10-09-2004, 06:52 AM
My vet charges $40 for males and $50 for females. None of my females have ever been given pain medication afterward and I noticed that the younger they are the less pain they seem to be in. The shelter spays and nueters the minute they hit the two pound mark. The kittens all seem to do well with very few after effects. I have always wanted mine to be a little older but sometimes I think it might be best to do it while they are so young and bounce back so quickly. I will soon be having to make that decision with little Rosco and Abigail.

catmandu
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
It been a while,but I think,in Canada,in Hamilton,it runs about $150.

sirrahbed
10-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Males shouldn't have any need for pain meds,
:D Try telling my hubby that!!

Samantha Puppy
10-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Males shouldn't have any need for pain meds, and for females it's optional. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay... Are you married? If so, let's use your husband as a test subject, chop his testicles off and see if he requests pain medications. You can be the test subject for a hysterectomy. Let us know how it goes!!

QueenScoopalot
10-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay... Are you married? If so, let's use your husband as a test subject, chop his testicles off and see if he requests pain medications. You can be the test subject for a hysterectomy. Let us know how it goes!!
Hubby was neutered years ago...and he still has his testicles believe me! They don't chop anything off! :rolleyes: And all he did was itch afterwards....they do shave the things.

aly
10-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Believe it or not guys, neutering really is about as non-invasive as you can get. I don't think males need pain meds at all. I 100% agree that whatever vet recommends pain meds for a male is trying to suck you dry :eek: It is a very easy procedure and the boys bounce back QUICKLY. I got Skylar, Chance, and Lucky neutered on the same day. They all came home and took a quick nap and then it was all I could do to try to keep them still and prevent them from playing too much.

aly
10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Here's some info on low cost clinics I found for MD :)

MARYLAND
Feral Cat Program Spay/Neuter Clinic
Clinic location Northwest DC
Managed by Metro Ferals
PO Box 7138
Arlington, VA 22207
703-528-7782
or call Alley Cat Allies 202-667-3630 ext 112
Low cost spay/neuter, testing, and vaccinations for feral or stray cats.

Montgomery County Humane Society
Rockville, MD
240-773-5960
Offers discounts at many veterinary clinics in the area. Call for information

Prince George's County SPCA
Forestville, MD
301-324-0807
www.pgspca.org web site
Call here to learn about the clinic for low cost s/n.

Human Society of Charles County
71 Industrial Park Drive
Waldorf, MD 20604
301-645-8181
Low cost s/n for pets of people with low income. Call for details.

Frederick County Humane Society
1832 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21702
301-694-1545
Low cost spay/neuter for pets.

Well Pet Clinic
Lexington Park MD
301-866-0303

The Lucky Ones
37725 Traveled Lane
Charlotte Hall, MD
301-884-2850
www.luckyones.com web site
Low cost spay/neuter clinic.

Montgomery County SPCA
PO Box 637
Gaithersburg, MD 20880
301-948-4266

Animal Welfare Society of Howard County
8556 Davis Road
Columbia, MD 21045
410-465-4350
Low cost spay/neuter clinic as well as low cost vaccinations at time of surgery or at weekly vaccine clinic.

Humane Society of Baltimore County
1601 Nicodemus Road
Reisterstown, MD 21136
410-833-4480 or 410-833-8848

Animal Advocates of Howard County
PO Box 1403
Ellicott City, MD 21041
410-880-2488
Offers information about low cost s/n in the area. Also, offers free s/n for pets of people with low income. Also, holds an annual male cat neuter-a-thon for very low price neutering.

Spay Inc.
PO Box 3240
Arlington, VA 22203
703-522-7920
703-521-2677
www.spay.org web site
Help for residents of Maryland, DC, and Virginia.

catnapper
10-09-2004, 12:46 PM
I remember now that the vet did say they had given him a pain med, and to not give him anymore. They said that it was for the first night and that by morning he shold be feeling better. But they also said if you give them pain meds to mask the pain, then they are more apt to try and act like normal, where they might actually end up hurting themselves more.

That makes sense to me.... I currently know someone who ust went through a hystorectomy (sp?) and she was told its a 6 week recovery time. After less than one week, she's up and down the steps, lifitng & moving things, etc. All because the pain meds are masking the real pain. She's even admitting that one.

Samantha Puppy
10-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Wow! Thanks, Aly! :) I will definitely be contacting one of the ones close to me, like Frederick or Columbia... :D

leslie
10-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Oh good! Samantha! I am glad to read that you understand things a bit better! good luck!