PDA

View Full Version : Lost dogs

PJ's Mom
10-08-2004, 10:55 AM
We have an awful lot of lost dogs in our neighborhood. Seems that every week there are a couple more signs posted because someone lost a pet. This week it's an older border collie who needs medication. :( Rumor has it that when the people come to read the electric meters, they don't latch some gates, and of course the dogs find a way to escape. Bailey got out once and was sitting on the street corner wagging at the people as they drove by. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it makes me very sad to know that someone has lost a dog, and I can't imagine what the owners must feel like when they discover their pet is gone. :(

Does your neighborhood have a lot of lost dogs/pets, too?

micki76
10-08-2004, 10:59 AM
We lock out gate, which forces the meter reader to use his goggles to read ours. They’ve never complained and after all, it’s my right to lock my gate. Many people will just go around unlocking gates for “fun”, too.

Someone let our neighbors senior Golden out and she was hit by a car & killed. :( They now lock their gate, too.

cloverfdx
10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
We dont get many lost dogs (Maybe a couple a month) around here, quite a few Cats though (If they are not spayed or Neutered i take them strait to the RSPCA).

snappy
10-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Lost pets seem to go in cycles in my neighborhood. Sometimes there are many postings,:( and then others there aren't any. I like that time best......:)

Down the street from me is a small shop that posts all the lost pet info in the front window. In fact she was fostering a dog for another person - who just never picked him up...so she now has a new found friend - who is in the shop every day with her. What a cutie!

She also has t-shirts that read, "Puppy Mills" with the circle and line running thru it!

LorraineO
10-08-2004, 11:32 AM
no,,, where we live there are strict rules for running animals.....

Toby's my baby
10-08-2004, 12:08 PM
We have a lot of lost dogs in our area, at our dog class they said that the dogs didn't run away but are being "dog-napped!" A couple weeks ago my dad and sister were driving and there was a black lab walking along the highway, my dad wouldn't stop and pick it up:o, then about 20 min. later my sister witnessed a dog hit by a car, the car didnt stop when they saw the dog on the street they just kept going... some people!! :o :mad:

pitc9
10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't see dogs wandering around in my neighborhood at all!
I've lived in my house for 5 years now, and have only seen 1!!
It was a black lab, VERY nice, but no collar, tags.. nothing. So I made signs, and had him for a day and a half!!!
Finaly his mom showed up, and took him. He must have had a WONDERFUL time because he kept coming back to my house! He would scratch at the gate to be let into the yard!! He did that for 5 or 6 months, until she finaly had enough of me bugging her to put up a fence!!! :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
There are a few Border Collie mixes lost right now over here, they are all from the same family. I have seen alot of strays around here in the last couple of months:( 2 weeks ago I saw a Rottweiler get hit by a truck on my way to school:(

tatsxxx11
10-08-2004, 05:37 PM
We have very strict leash laws here, so it's VERY rare that I ever see a dog running loose/a poster up for a lost dog. And each village in our town has a very caring animal control officer and if ever a dog is sighted running loose, someone will call Cheryl who comes to the resuce:) What I do see here are tons of missing cat posters:(:(:( It breaks my heart to read the family's pleas to help find him. Almost all say, "no collar or tags." My vet, in conjunction with the MSPCA and Humane Society is running a little campaign at the hospital, all about kitty education. He is very much for collaring and tagging cats and provides written info dispelling the myth that cats are more likely to choke, wearing a collar. A properly fitted collar, the right kind, is highly unlikey to cause injury. Without tags, a lost kitty has a less than 2% chance of being reunited with his/her family.

kingrattus
10-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Only cats get lost here.

Esp A new cat named Ginger (or something like that). The got him from the Ottawa ASPCA & we ran off a week later. He was hiding in our garage & we only go in there once a week. Then a week after was freed from our garage he ran away again. this time he was on Toms window ledge, So Tom opened the window & snatch the cat & called the # on the flyer.

& thena week later he was missing again & then again & then again & then the cat was never seen again.

Stupid owners

PJ's Mom
10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
We have the occasional cat, or turtle or bunny that gets lost, but it's usually doggies. It seems like they never find their way home, either. The signs stay up forever, and they're often replaced by worried owners who try to keep peoples attention by putting up bigger, brighter signs. It's very sad. :(

Tonya
10-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Not here, but Modesto's ghetto has stray/lost dogs running everywhere.

kingrattus
10-08-2004, 06:51 PM
When & if a dog does get loose (its SUPER rare), the dog is always caught by people. this is a HUGE dog loving area.

Rob found an old mutt tied toa bench in the park beside the cop shop. Rob sat with the dog for 45 mins & took him home