PDA

View Full Version : I need help with names!

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Meet Sushi:
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/VA219/VA219.3382444-1-x.jpg

He is going to be my new baby (see my "I'm going to be a mommy again!" thread for the full story). However, he will only be adopted out with another kitten.

Enter Doogie:
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/VA219/VA219.3382382-2-x.jpg

or possibly Heath:
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/VA219/VA219.3256364-1-x.jpg

Now comes the hard part. My husband likes the name "Sushi" because it's different, however he wouldn't have a problem changing it. If we keep it Sushi though, we'd like to have another Japanese name for the other kitty, in keeping with a theme. I've come up with Kirin (a Japanese beer), Miso (a Japanese soup) or Sake (pronounced sah-kee, which is a rice wine).

OR we could change both of their names, in which case I'm thinking my husband may go utter dork and name one of them Bo and one of them Luke (from the Dukes of Hazzard).

So what would you do? Stick with Sushi and find another Japanese name (and if so, one of the above or do you have another idea?)? Or would you rename both? Would you just name them each whatever, or would you go with a duo-type name like "Bo and Luke"? If so, got any more ideas?

cloverfdx
10-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Uh oh im in love, what sweet babies :D. As for names i think Sushi is a cute name, does he answer to Sushi?

I will have to get back to you on this one, i will go and do a quick search and see what i come up with.

Oh dear i am getting clucky, but was not planning another kitten/ cat for about 6 motnhs ;).

Maresche
10-08-2004, 10:12 AM
What about Sushi and Sashimi (Sa-SHI-Mi)? They are both Japanese foods (Sashimi is the "rolled" variation on Sushi) and would be very cute names.

sirrahbed
10-08-2004, 10:15 AM
I LOVE the Japanese names! I will PM my daughter in Japan and see if she has any other suggestions;)

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 10:20 AM
I picked Sushi an Sake if you are going to keep Sushi.

Goodness, that Heath is adorable!!! Too bad you can't take three kittens.;)

smokey the elder
10-08-2004, 10:23 AM
How about Sushi and Wasabi?:D

cloverfdx
10-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Ok found a great site for names :D, i will post my favourites and ones that might go well with Sushi.

Yoshi: good luck; joy

BENJIRO: Enjoy peace *I love it*

ICHIRO: first son, (Not sure how you would pronounce it though)

JIRO: second son

KEITARO: blessed

YUKI: snow; lucky

AKI: autumn (You guys are just into autumn/ fall :D )

I hope these were some help, i will keep looking though.

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
My brother suggested both Sashimi and Wasabi last night. Wasabi's cute. I'll throw that into the mix. But while Sashimi is cute, I know I'd get tongue-twisted calling Samantha, Sushi and Sashimi! hehe Same with Sake. I'm kind of leaning towards Kirin or Miso, but I'm still totally open for more suggestions! (Plus, I guess I have to take my husband's thoughts on the names into consideration... *sigh*... hehe)

This is so exciting!! :)

catlady1945
10-08-2004, 10:53 AM
I like Yoshi.

Maresche
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
My brother suggested both Sashimi and Wasabi last night. Wasabi's cute. I'll throw that into the mix. But while Sashimi is cute, I know I'd get tongue-twisted calling Samantha, Sushi and Sashimi! hehe Same with Sake. I'm kind of leaning towards Kirin or Miso, but I'm still totally open for more suggestions! (Plus, I guess I have to take my husband's thoughts on the names into consideration... *sigh*... hehe)

Good Point!

What about Kirin and Asahi (both Japanese beers)? Sushi would have to learn a new name, but he should be young enough for that.

catnapper
10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Awww... what a cutie! At the rescue I volunteer, there was a Suzuki! :D That might be cute to have all monsters start with S's. Sushi and Suzuki... now there's a tongue twister! Say that ten times fast!

cubby31682
10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I am just seeing this now. I am so happy for you for getting not one but two babies.

Karen
10-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Why not mix it up - Sushi and Lucas? SushieLukieSammie!

manda_moo87
10-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I love Sushi and Sake! :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I think Sushi is a cute name, I don't have any other suggestions though I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! on the new additions, I really like the grey cat that you posted btw.

Sirrahsim
10-08-2004, 06:57 PM
I voted other, there are so many pretty words over here in Japan, so I'll name off a few:)

Keiko- usually a girl name, but can go either way
Sakano- male
Yuki- male or female
Chotto (pronouned chow as in show and toe) which losely means "Hey You!!" or "Hold On!" which is pretty accurate for chasing after a kitten:rolleyes:
Neko- means cat
Koneko- means kitten
Ganko- stubborn:D
Sapporo- another Japanese beer

Just throwing a few out there:D I think Kirin is pretty, but would personally feel wierd with a cat named after a beer:D

Samantha Puppy
10-08-2004, 07:42 PM
LOL... Well, after speaking with my husband, he liked Kirin best... so I guess that's what we're going with since I would've been happy with anything I listed in the poll! :)

shais_mom
10-09-2004, 12:34 AM
I like Sushi and Sake but I voted for Sushi and Miso.
B/c I like them too!
Congratulations!!!
how awesome!
Everyone it getting Kittens!

Mkitty
10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
I like Sushi and Sake! but it's up to you and your husband to decide!