PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had sharp pains???

teenster3
10-07-2004, 07:35 PM
It all started last night right under my bra line, is how I describe it. I don't know what's happening. I had a very hard time sleeping as the pain kept getting worse like someone was stabbing me.
Today the pain got much worse at work. A girl at work gave me some Aleve but the pain was still there. Now, it just feels like it's spreading across the back of my neck & my whole chest & stomach just ache terribly. It hurts to cough, sneeze, laugh, stretch,even deep breathing hurts!
I did have a laproscopic surgery (for Endometriosis) done recently....would that be related? I feel somewhat scared of the pain & wonder what is happening. Someone at work told me it could also be stress-related. I just feel sick & achy all over!!!!:(

Karen
10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Get the to a doc, Tina! Pain that bad is nothing to ignore. How is your heart?

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Can you get to an urgent care or ER? A sudden pain could be one of so many different things and only testing can find out for sure. Some possibilities sound like gallstones, gastritis, etc - but in any case - medical care would be needed!! Please seek medical attention - OK?

teenster3
10-07-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't think it would be heart problems would it? I'm only 29 & it doesn't feel like really chest pains. It's hard to describe....it feels sharp, yet achy. Maybe I'm just getting the flu. Or could it possibly just be related to my surgery? Maybe I should just call a nurse but then they always tell me to go see a doctor & I don't want to if I don't have to.....my insurance stinks!
Thanks for listening though. I don't mean to be whiny. It's just that it came on all of a sudden. I felt "great" all week.

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, I am an RN and YES, all I can suggest is see a doctor. Have you been able to eat? Any trouble breathing? Nausea? Were you able to sleep?

teenster3
10-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes I can eat & I slept last night. I feel sick to my stomach right now (but maybe I'm just stressing myself out) & I'm having a hard time breathing, like I feel like I need to take deep breaths but can't due to the pain.
My mom thinks it's either gallstones or that I may have pulled something?
Urgent Care stinks here, last year I remember going in & ended up having strep throat....the doctor said it was just a cold & I suggested that it could be strep, so he had a test run & sure enough...I WAS RIGHT!
I just hate going in if I don't have to. That's why I was wondering if anyone here might know?!
I had sharp pains 2 weeks ago on a sat. & called my doctor. The pain was also in my stomach & she said it was from the gas they used to expand the area of surgery. This time the pain is still in the stomach but moving around to my neck & left shoulder.

teenster3
10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't know if I should just wait & call my gyno. doctor in the morning or maybe just wait till the pain gets worse to go into urgent care.

BCBlondie
10-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Omg I've had that same pain before!!!! Sometimes just moving hurt (like leaning over to pick something up or twisting around to see something behind me and getting into bed and stuff). :( Breathing was also hard. It hurt when I tried to take deep breaths, and I've had a coughing problem for many years, so every time I coughed, it really hurt. It really did feel like stabbing, sharp pain.

I tried to talk to my doctor, but she said it's normal?! :confused: I told my friend and she said she's NEVER gotten anything like that before.

I never took any medication for it.
It went away by itself after a while.
Sometimes it comes back, but I haven't really had it for a couple months now.

teenster3
10-07-2004, 08:15 PM
See......that's also what I'm afraid of. It seems like anytime you do end up going to the doctor.....they always think it's "in your head"....nope, I tell them "no it's here or there."
My mom said yes it could go away on it's own but what if it comes back or gets worse. AGH....I hate being sick & do get sick a lot.
:rolleyes: I too have not been taking any prescription drugs except for the Aleve my friend gave me this morning.

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Tina - my first impression was gallstones although that pain is normally on the upper right side and can radiate to the back - often with nausea. Even gallstones can be life threatening if they obstruct the duct and cause a rupture. This left side pain with radiating pain to the neck and left shoulder sounds frightening. If I were you - even at your young age - I really would head to the ER. Honestly I would. I am not trying to scare you further but the symtoms you describe really do warrant an urgent visit to get medical care. If nothing else - can you get a urgent message to your gyno via his answering service??? Stress that it is URGENT and he will hopefully call you TONIGHT.

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Tina - if it is a pulled muscle and resulting tension - a nice hot shower would partially relieve the symptoms and allow you to breathe more easily and move more freely. Have you tried this??

teenster3
10-07-2004, 08:27 PM
No, but I am going to take a warm shower now. Once again thank you for listening & helping me!!!!

sammy101
10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
When i have cramps or really sore muscles,or whatever i take a nice hot bubble bath:D ,that always makes me feel ALOT better.then i usually just lie down for a while.

hope you feel better!:D

green_chameleon_girl
10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I know what your talking about a few of my friends have that too, not a severe but I have experienced a bit of that too , I was walking with my friend at school and she stopped and kind of hunched over and I was like "are you alright" and she siad she was experiencing sharp pains like it was someone plunging a knife into her heart or somthing it was scary

teenster3
10-07-2004, 11:10 PM
I got a hold of my doctor tonight & she wants me to come in tomorrow for observation. She thinks it could most definitely be a cause of gas trapped in my diaphram. Due to the nature of the surgery I had, she said this could be a possibility. She does not think it is gallstones, stress or a virus. Yet, she didn't rule anything out for sure. She wants to see me tomorrow which is good, because then she'll know exactly where it is & see for herself how much pain I am in! I'm just glad to have gotten a hold of her. I wasn't looking forward to going into urgent care tonight. :rolleyes:
Thanks again for all the advice. It's scary to be sick & I'm glad to not be alone. To be able to just get online & talk to you guys.:)

lovemyshiba
10-07-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry you're having these pains, Tina. I'm glad you got ahold of your doctor, and will be going tomorrow.
Please let us know what happens, until then, I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

slick
10-07-2004, 11:23 PM
This is a prime example why I love Pet Talk so much. We not only care about pets but the humans who serve them. The support that Tina has gotten from this thread is amazing.

Tina, I'm so sorry I didn't see this until now. I sure hope the doc can come up with a solution for you tomorrow. I've never had pains such as you describe so I can't offer up anything except my support.

{{{HUGS}}} and please keep us posted.

lynnestankard
10-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Tina - I'm so pleased you phoned the doc., please let us know how things progress.

The things that happen over there slap in the middle of our night!

Keeping fingers crossed - hope it is just trapped wind (gas) - although I had that once and it was incredibly painful.

Lynne

teenster3
10-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Not good, not good at all.
I wrote another thread Still in pain & no solution.
I just wish I knew what was causing this awful stabbing pain.:(