PDA

View Full Version : Four weeks?!??!?

DogLover9501
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
My mom's friend Mary, who lost her shih-tzu Shiloh (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58366) in September, is getting another shih-tzu puppy soon.

I asked her when she was getting it, and she said 4 weeks from last Sunday, that's when it was born :eek:

I was very surprised and said "your getting it at 4 weeks old?!?!" and she said "yeah", like it was no big deal!!

She said the breeder "gets rid" of them as soon as they are up walking around!!!

I think even 6 weeks is too young, 4 is just insane!!

sammy101
10-07-2004, 06:05 PM
4 weeks??:eek: he can probably barely get around yet!I wouldnt take a puppy home that young:eek:

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-07-2004, 06:09 PM
4 weeks:eek: I wouldn't even take the puppy at that age! The earliest age I would take a puppy is 8-12 weeks.

BCBlondie
10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
:( That's so sad. The pup must be coming from a BYB then. :(
4 weeks is way too young to be taken away from the mother. Poor pups.

dukedogsmom
10-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a bad breeder to me. That's way too young to be leaving the mother. You need to educate her about BYB.

aly
10-07-2004, 06:39 PM
That is TERRIBLE. Puppies start learning bite inhibition from their mom and littermates at that age. That woman (I can't call her a breeder) is putting every single puppy at a social risk by doing this. The dogs will most likely grow up with absolutely no manners when it comes to other dogs. That means no trips to the park, no going to the petstore, and no second dogs added to the household. Or if you do those things, you will probably have a ton of complications on your hands.

The woman should be reported. She is letting little tiny puppies go out into the world during their important learning and transition periods. What if they refuse to eat? Not many people know how to deal with a 4 week old puppy not eating. What if the people don't even notice it??? I'm sure your mom's friend will, but I'm talking about the general public who comes to get these puppies.

*sigh* :( :( :( :( :(

Have your mom's friend be sure to socialize the pup around as many dogs as possible while he grows up. Of course the puppy shouldn't go to high traffic dog areas until he's had his third booster shot though. Also the pup needs to learn that being alone is okay. Often times if they are adopted into a human family at that young age, they will become overly dependent upon humans.

Ugh, the possible problems are countless.

Jods
10-07-2004, 07:14 PM
yes this is terrible.... What does BYB mean?? :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Jods
yes this is terrible.... What does BYB mean?? :(

I think BYB means Back Yard Breeder.

DogLover9501
10-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Mary actually knows alot about dogs, and puppy mills..etc so it REALLY surprised me that she didn't think this was a big deal!

She has another new shih-tzu that is 6 months old and she also has a schnauzer mix, Im not sure if it will be socialized with other dogs except those, maybe ours.

I was stunned when I heard that, I couldn't believe it!!

If "the woman" can't even keep the puppies there for 3-4 more weeks, what kind of a "breeder" is that. She also shows dogs and they stay in kennels 75% of everyday so they wont get dirty, and also my mom said she used to groom dogs but a few people caught her being too stern/yelling/being rough with their dogs and I guess she went out of business.

So sad :(

LorraineO
10-08-2004, 07:47 AM
This woman needs to be reported!!!! thats awful,,, 4 weeks is WAY TOO YOUNG!! and obviously,, from the sounds of her biz being closed,, she is none too gentle with her animals,,,, SHE needs to be caged all day,,,,, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

pitc9
10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
What an evil human.... (I can't even call her a person)
4 weeks ..... omg.. those poor little pups...

how sad....:(