PDA

View Full Version : Update on Caleb, as requested by Slick

wolfsoul
10-07-2004, 04:21 PM
So Caleb is now four 1/2 months old, and weighs about six or seven pounds now (I haven't weighed him in a while. He was 4 pounds back when he was three months). As much as I don't regret ever getting him, I have learned a valuable lesson that kittens are hard work. I can't wait until he gets out of that kitten stage. :o

Caleb is still doing the peeing in not-so-great spots, and I've since discovered that "innapropriate urination" as it is called, is a sign of stress. Although, what the Heck does he have to be stressed out about? :confused: So I'm going to call the vet and see about getting a Feliway (plug-in that releases soothing mother-cat pheremones) that is really supposed to relieve stress or anxiety.

I switched him on to Chicken Soup a couple weeks ago, and he is doing terrible on it! :( That's really too bad because I really like the ingredients. It makes his poops really HUGE and wet. And if any of you have tailless cats, you know why wet poos aren't a good thing. It's constantly on the fur around his bum, so I have to wash him under the tap every day. He doesn't like the taste of the food either. He picks around the kibble, eating the Foundations kibble, and then he complains when only the Chicken Soup is left. He did much better on just Foundations, but I still wasn't impressed with the results. I'm going to try Go! Natural, and see how he is on that. Does anyone here feed it to their cats?

I'm going to get two new little rats sometime next week -- Caleb is going to go NUTS. He LOVES rats. Caleb will follow Icarus around and nuzzle his little nose in Icarus's fur, but as soon as Icarus turns around, Caleb will pounce back. He had a couple encounters with Frisco's teeth when he got too annoying, and he never forgot it, though Icarus would never hurt him. :) I'm hoping that if Caleb and the baby rats grow up together they will really bond and become good friends. Caleb loves to chase after Icarus. It's so cute because Icarus will just ignore him, and Caleb will make a huge pounce like he's going for the kill, with that prey driven look in his eye, and as soon as he's about to pounce on to Icarus, he'll pull short and land right in front of him. He's so gentle. :) And Caleb has also decided that he really hates dogs. You should see the act he'll pull -- arching the back, puffing up the fur and hissing. He looks too cute to be dangerous. :rolleyes:

And another new thing -- he loves to watch TV. I put on a cougar show yesterday just for him. Everytime he saw a cougar run past, he would look so fascinated. It is so adorable.

Sorry for such a long post. No new pictures. :( I'll get some eventually.

slick
10-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the update Jordan. As for the peeing problem have you tried putting him in a small room with just him and a litterbox for week. That might help retrain him. Are you sure that it's stress-related?

You've got about 3-4 years to wait until that "kitten stage" is over.:rolleyes:

cloverfdx
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Thankyou for the update :D. I was going to ask about Caleb aswell. Wow that is great news about Caleb and Icarus, what a sweet gentle cat he is.

Goodluck with the peeing problem i hope you figure out what is causing it soon.

shais_mom
10-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the uppiedate!!
I am sorry he is still peeing in the wrong places. That stinks.
I strongly suggest the Feliway plug in as long as you have ruled out a UTI or something.
My little Kloe was peeing in inappropiate places also but I bought a Feliway and then noticed blood in her urine and she went to the vet for a UTI and after getting that taken care of (Just last Saturday) and the Feliway in the room where she spends most of her time has helped greatly. **Warning** They are pricey!! I was going to buy 2 but one unit cost me $45!!! I was glad that the pet store only had one altho the price would have deterred me!
I got a refill for $13 on www.petedge.com so you might want to try there - might be cheaper to order it even tho you would have to pay for s/h across the border then buying it from your vet. I can't imagine how much it would be at my vet!

catmandu
10-08-2004, 09:07 AM
There is a number,in Cat Fancy,where Purina One,will send you a free sample bag.I am not sure,of the US number,in Canada,its 1 800 580 6369. Soup,is not sadly,for Cats!

mina'smomma
10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
I had the same problem with Mina peeing on my fiance's side of the bed. We ended up putting her in a kennel with some Fresh Step Kitty litter in her box for a day, and she hasn't went anywhere but in the box since.

Is there a reason why Caleb can't have regular kitty food? I wasn't here when you got him apparently. It might work if you soften it for him if its too hard. (Not Mina she got ticked at me when I did that, and gave me that look like "I'm not a baby MOM!"

Keep us updated on how he is doing.

wolfsoul
10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by slick
Thanks for the update Jordan. As for the peeing problem have you tried putting him in a small room with just him and a litterbox for week. That might help retrain him. Are you sure that it's stress-related?

I left him in the bathroom with his litter box during the day (while I was at school) and then I'd let him out when I got home. I tried that for a few weeks but I don't think it clicked lol.

Thanks for the info Shais_mom! :) Yes, we have ruled out UTI. I hope the vet here doesn't charge too much for the Feliway.

Is there a reason why Caleb can't have regular kitty food?
Chicken Soup is regular food -- it's one of my favourite cat foods. :) Too bad Caleb doesn't agree with it. You can see the website here (http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/)

trayi52
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the update, Jordan. I have been wondering about you and your new addition.

I do hope you get Caleb to do his duties in his litterbox, I know that can be a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Jordan.

Willie:)

shais_mom
10-09-2004, 12:18 AM
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/browse/directorymain.jsp?AS=1&keyword=feliway

I would call the vet first and price check it - then investigate this route that is what I would have done had I known I could have found it for half the price - including shipping.

How are things going?
Have you tried Rescue Remedy?

wolfsoul
10-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/browse/directorymain.jsp?AS=1&keyword=feliway

I would call the vet first and price check it - then investigate this route that is what I would have done had I known I could have found it for half the price - including shipping.

How are things going?
Have you tried Rescue Remedy?
Thanks! :)

Caleb didn't pee on anything all weekend, which I am surprised about because we went camping and had to leave him at home. I went back every day to give him food and refill his water, and he was always sleeping peacefully in his favourite spot. Of course now that I am back, he's going nuts meowing constantly, wanting attention lol. He had attention withdrawal. ;) I haven't called the vet about the Feliway yet -- every time I get out of school the vet is already closed, but I will call them on Saturday and see how much it costs. If it's really expensive, I might go for some herbs that I read about.

trinity
10-12-2004, 01:01 PM
ALso Dr. Fosters and Smith, a catalog for pets, sells the Feliway. Right now they have the diffuser itself for $24 and the refills for $14. That, even with the shipping and handling, is about half of what my vet charges for them. And I can tell you it definitely helps with the emotional/stress parts...I can see a difference with a few of our guys if the diffuser starts to run low....