PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: I'm back from Ireland, but had bad news at work

AmberLee
10-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi all,

We are back from Ireland and all are happy and healthy. I'm almost over the jetlag, sort of... Yesterday was my first day back at work and my boss had bad news. They're having a Reduction In Force (RIF) and my job's one of those being let go. I'm kind of in shock at the moment. Hope to touch base with you all later.

Amber L.

slick
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Oh AmberLee, I'm so sorry that you got such bad news after returning home. :( When that happens here, there are some places that will offer career counselling and actually help you find another job. Wishing you luck.

Killearn Kitties
10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry you got such rotten news on coming home from your holiday! :( Wishing you all the very best of luck in finding something soon.

Glad you are in one piece after the driving though!

RedHedd
10-07-2004, 05:21 PM
OMG! I'm so sorry! What an awful welcome back!

Felicia's Mom
10-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope you get a new, and better job soon.
I missed the thread that you were going to Ireland.

Logan
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Oh, Pauline.......what a mess!!! You have had to deal with this situation too often in recent years. I wish you the best, and will keep you in my prayers that something perfect will come along.

If you need to vent, I think you know where to find me. I'm a good listener.

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2004, 11:41 PM
AmberLee, I'm so sorry to hear this. You know that you can always count on me for emotional support. I'm also a very good listener. I'll see you Sunday. Please take care.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-07-2004, 11:51 PM
First off, Welcome back! I hope your trip to Ireland went wonderful.
Secondly, I am so sorry for the news of losing your job. But dont get too upset, you will find another job, and I am sure you will like it better. What a terrible thing for them to have to do. Their loss right? Again I am so sorry and I will be praying that you will get back on your feet soon, and take care of yourself.:D

shais_mom
10-08-2004, 12:14 AM
welcome back
but am so sorry to hear your news
will keep you in my thoughts

koxka
10-08-2004, 01:47 AM
What a shock to come back home and find you don't have a job anymore!:(
I'm very sorry and hope you can deal with it until you find a new better job.

jenluckenbach
10-08-2004, 05:30 AM
What sad news. :( {{{{{HUG}}}}}

catmandu
10-08-2004, 08:54 AM
When I was laid,off,MyDear Mother,used to cheer me up,by telling me,that that just meant,another Business,would be able,to use my services! We,hope,that you find a Better Job,and Soon!

AmberLee
10-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Thank you, all. I appreciate your kind words. This is hitting me hard.

Karen
10-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I am glad they didn't tell you before you left, as it would have put a damper on your trip, which I am sure was wonderful, right? I'll spare you the "one door closing, another opens" sorta cliches, and will keep you in my prayers.

Tell us about your trip? Where'd ya go, what'd ya see?

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm so sorry.

Kirsten
10-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Oh AmberLee, I'm sorry!!! The same happened to me some years ago, I came back from vacation and was told my company would close down.

Don't give up, I hope you'll find something new very soon!

Kirsten

lynnestankard
10-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Oh Pauline - what an awful home coming:( :(

I'm keeeping my fingers crossed for a lovely, new and better job offer - very soon.

As least you had your trip before the axe fell - thank God they allowed you that at least.

{{Hugs}}} across the miles sweetheart. xxx

Lynne

AmberLee
10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Yes, it was gorgeous and wonderful! I accompanied my parents there -- it was each of our first trip abroad, if we don't count Dad's time in WWII. A very special 'getting to know' the folks better which was an added sweetness.

We met a woman with our last name in the same town Dad's great-grandparents came from, Templeboy in county Sligo. Although she's not into genealogy, one of her sisters is, and she's convinced we're cousins to some degree or another. That was an unexpected delight, too.

I need to log off now, but will tell more later.

Maybe KAK can teach me how to post some of the pics this weekend.

{{{hugs, all}}}

AmberLee
10-09-2004, 02:08 PM
P.S. Thank you for the PM's re. prayers coming in. They are so helpful right now. {{{hugs again}}}

AmberLee
10-09-2004, 05:47 PM
It's a teeny, tiny start...

A shot of my parents at the waterfall at the enterance to Newgrange (a World Heritage Site). It's a burial mound in county Meath, a little north of Dublin that's 5000 years old -- even older than the pyramids!

AmberLee
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
A medival fishing hut on the river in Cong, (county Mayo?) behind the old Abbey. (The stuffed cat is my mascot for one of my hobbies, Markeroni. Never mind.)

lizbud
10-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Welcome home AmberLee.:) I am so sorry to hear about
the job news. I'm hopeing maybe you brought back a little of
the magic and enchantment of Erin to ease your path to a new
and better position. I really liked the pics you've already shown.:)

krazyaboutkatz
10-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Great pictures AmberLee.:) Here are two that you had e-mailed to me. I hope that you don't mind me posting these for you.

Here's AmberLee holding 2 different kittens from one of the Bed and Breakfast places where they stayed.:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/a3f5c2b2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/3bdbf3ca.jpg

AmberLee
10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Thank you, KAK. Aren't they little cuties?

Here is a shot of Mommy Kitty, who doesn't look all that old, either. She was a darling, too.

Miss Meow
10-10-2004, 11:55 PM
My god, what a dreadful surprise for you. :(

Will be sending lots of good wishes that you find another, better job soon. :) Hopefully the combined power of Pet Talk prayers works for you soon!

Edwina's Secretary
10-11-2004, 12:46 PM
"Come on in, the water's fine!" You and I will job search in tandem! Now.... do you still have those contacts I sent you????

You looked so delighted in Ireland.....keep that glow and let's go!

ramanth
10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Happy to hear you had a nice trip. And Ireland of all places! I envy you. :)

Sorry to hear about the job. :(

Killearn Kitties
10-11-2004, 04:17 PM
What a great pictue of your parents! It's really lovely!! :D

Now about all those cats .... tell us about them why don't you??? :D

AmberLee
10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
What a great pictue of your parents! It's really lovely!! :D

Now about all those cats .... tell us about them why don't you??? :D

Thank you! It was a marvelous holiday and one unexpected outcome was interacting at a different level with my parents -- when we meet at our homes we interact in rather predictable ways, but off track for each of us we shared more and got along even better than we usually do.

I found two of the three kittens who were out and about for the first time that day. Aren't they adorable? And they are just as sweet as they look. The woman who runs that B&B (about 7 miles from Blarney Castle, near Cork in county Cork) serves tea and cookies/scones to people when they check-in back in her garden. The flowers, waterfall, goldfish et al were great, but I found the cat/kittens irrisistable. I suspect all the PTers would agree with me!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
"Come on in, the water's fine!" You and I will job search in tandem! Now.... do you still have those contacts I sent you????

You looked so delighted in Ireland.....keep that glow and let's go!

Sounds great! Blush, blush; scuffle foot, scuffle foot. No, I don't recall what I did with them. And worse yet, I haven't updated my resume since I got this job roughly two years ago. My normal habit of updating each summer just went 'pffft'. If you don't mind my being a bit of a space cadet these days, I'd like to be mutual cheering partners!