PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Bed Off Limits?

cruisetime
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Ok we just got our first cat and I have let her everywhere (not to my hubby's liking at first but he gave in gracefully) except our bed. I do agree with him that I would prefer that to be ours alone. Right now we have her closed up at night in the spare bathroom and vanity area with litter and water and food. He wants to let her out at night and leave our bedroom open and not have her on the bed - like that could happen - you all know she would be up there at night! What should I do - let her roam and shut our door? Keep her in the bathroom vanity(she doesn't seem to mind)? Or just tell my hubby ok and have him wake up to find her in bed with us? Thank you, Dbbie

RedHedd
10-07-2004, 11:52 AM
My bed is definitely NOT off limits to the cats, in fact I encourage them to sleep with me. A bed feels empty without a cat on it IMHO.

DJFyrewolf36
10-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by RedHedd
My bed is definitely NOT off limits to the cats, in fact I encourage them to sleep with me. A bed feels empty without a cat on it IMHO.

Yep, me too!! I couldn't imagine my bed without a kitty butt in it!

aguu
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Ok we just got our first cat and I have let her everywhere
LET? - HMNN you ARE new to the cat world!! ;) ;)

I too just love having a kitty in bed - they are like fuzzy hot water bottles!!!

Craftlady
10-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Thumper is our nightly bed mate.
Skinny and Eleanor join in on occassion.

catcrazylady
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
We never wake up with less than two or three in the bed with us. I never ever want my bed to be cat free!:D I wish they would be less hoggish at times but I never want them to leave.
I realize this is a personal choice but if you leave your door open she will be in the bed. Cats love the warmth of snuggling in bed. I think that if I was determined to not have a cat in the bed I would just shut my bedroom door. Although, at my house that would result in howling, screaming, scratching and all out cat fits if I didn't let them in!;) :D

mina'smomma
10-07-2004, 12:11 PM

Mina sleeps with my fiance and I too. Its the joy of having cats. They make great bed partners when the others are away.

Logan
10-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I would prefer that at least Mimi not sleep with us, and she rarely does (she prefers my daughter). Not only am I a very light sleeper, and Mimi is one of those that wants to be on your head, my husband is very much an asthmatic (sp?) and she doesn't need to be near his face. Butter usually sleeps beside me or at our feet, but he wakes up around 4-5 am and wakes us up, banging the blinds to go outdoors. What a pain! One or the other wakes me up no less than 2 times each night for something and it does drive me crazy! If they could cuddle up at our feet and sleep while we sleep, I'd be fine with it! For the same reasons, our dogs no longer sleep in our room, but we've not found a way to keep the cats out! :)

cubby31682
10-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Cubby has to sleep in my bed. If he doesn't I wake up in the middle of the night, walk out into the livingroom and grab him. Then I put him on the foot of the bed and grab 'his' blanket and cover him up then I go back to sleep. My feet stay warm, and I feel safe with him there. Even though my husband is right next to me, I know Cubby would run and hide under the bed if any one came into the house but it's just a sense of security for me.

Randi
10-07-2004, 12:36 PM
When we first got Fister up in our flat, I said, he's not coming = allowed in our bed!! How naive I was. :rolleyes: Of course he's in our bed! :)

However, he doesn't really bother us at all, he has a habit of coming up to cuddle when we go to sleep, then 15 min. later, he finds his own space around the flat and occasionally comes up to see whether we're still asleep. If we are, he waits - thinking about this, I'm amazed how civilised he is!! :D He does come up in the morning when we're awake, to have his cuddle session - and we enjoy it immensely!

He always comes up to snuggle in the evening if we're watching TV. We wouldn't have it any other way. :)

catland
10-07-2004, 01:04 PM
open door=cat on bed. The choice is yours.

(actually, the real secret is to wait until its your husband's idea;) )

smokey the elder
10-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Try to keep a kitty off the bed (0r anywhere else she wants to go...:p )

Tina
10-07-2004, 01:46 PM
They are allowed on the bed during the day. But not during the night. We tried it and all they done all night was romped around and played.:p I had to end up putting them out of our room so I could get some sleep. :o

Lacey
10-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Both of mine are allowed on the bed, and I never know they're there until I wake up and see them. In fact, even though I leave the bedroom door open so that Zelda and Mowgli can join me, half the time they snooze on the recliner. Until I hit the snooze button when the alarm goes off - then Mowgli comes to see me for snuggle time.

Just a quick warning! If you let your kitty on the bed, if she's feeling playful, she may spend a few minutes playing "pounce whatever moves under the covers" before she settles down to sleep. Fun little game, but it'll keep you awake as long as your kitty feels like playing. When my folks were cat-sitting Zelda for me back in June, they refused to let her on the bed. Well, apparently one night Dad got up for some reason, and she slipped into the bedroom. She probably would have gotten away with sleeping on the bed last night if Dad hadn't moved his hand under the covers when he'd gone back to bed. Because sure enough... POUNCE! Poor Zelda was promptly put out of the bedroom. :rolleyes: So be ready for bedtime playfulness! :D :D :D

slick
10-07-2004, 03:14 PM
My cats go anywhere they like, except the kitchen and on the dining room table. Believe it or not, I have them trained. :eek:

I dated a guy for a couple of months back in 2001 until he said that if he stayed over the cats could not sleep on the bed. I promptly told him to hit the road.

cruisetime
10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
WOW - I didn't know I'd get this many responses.. :) Well my conclusion too is that if the door is open and she wants to sleep with us she will be on the bed. SO - I'll tell hubby what all of you said. Either close the door or sleep with cat... :) BUT then he gets up in the middle of the night - which he can do as a volunteer fireman than she will be in the bed I bet.... Hummmmm. :) Debbie

chrangharris
10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Ours are allowed in bed with us. They only like to sleep by me though! Patches waits until we fall asleep and then curls up by my tummy. Oreo sleeps at my feet! I joke with hubby that I have three guys sleeping with me and I love it! I miss the kitties when they don't join me!

DogLover9501
10-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Definatly not! I love when Tigger comes and lays in bed with me, but that isn't often!

wolfsoul
10-07-2004, 03:56 PM
All of our beds are off limits, because Caleb loves to pee on beds. :o

QueenScoopalot
10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
What's not to love about purring kitties all around you at night? One would'nt feel right here of course, but I adore having them all purring me to sleep at night. Thumbelina is entertaining in the morning with the exception of this morning! She drools a lot due to having multiple handicaps, and she drooled right into my nose this A.M! I woke up fast LOL! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

rosethecopycat
10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Re: Is Your Bed Off Limits?

Yes, to me. :(

I'm sleeping with foster Almalfi UFN (until further notice) because he's alone in a bedroom, with a broken foot. It's my time to make him feel like he' got company.

Our bed, is manned (literaly) by my husband, who keeps our 3 cats interested in staying downstairs and not worried about: Where has Mama gone?

:eek:

prechrswife
10-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Like someone else said, the bed feels empty without the cats. When we are off on vacation, one of the things we miss most is having the cats in the bed.

boscibo
10-07-2004, 05:26 PM
I can't fall asleep without a cat on the bed. It just doesn't feel right. Luckily for me, Bo always happily obliges. Hanna usuallly joins me and sleeps under the covers next to me (that can get warm!), and sometimes if I'm really lucky, Abby will decide to sleep on the bed, too.

lady_zana
10-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Not only does Weezie sleep in the bed with me, she even sleeps under the covers with me. And, as soon as I typed her name just now, she jumped on my lap. That's a smart cat!

nibblets
10-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Nope, my bed is open to my fur kids. Buddy is my little furnace keeping my legs warm. I would love it if Julie would sleep up on the bed, but she chooses to sleep in her window perch or on the sofa in the living room. Once in a great while she will curl up on the corner at the foot of the bed, that is rare. She will curl up when I am watching TV in bed, but for real sleepy time...she's outta there.

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 07:20 PM
I am firmly with the consensus here. A bed is lonely without a kitty or three or five:D In fact, if I go to bed without a kitty, I will get up and go find one!! Hubby is the same way - can't get to sleep without his princess Emily. Try it and I bet you are hooked for life. I think it is one of the delights of being owned by cats.

Tonya
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
My cats sleep on my bed, but if I could do it all over again, they wouldn't. I am a light sleeper and they constantly wake me up. It takes me forever to fall back asleep. Also, the cat hair drives me nuts. I get it in my eyes and mouth when I am sleeping. It seems like we're always having to buy new bedding because I wash it to much.

jenluckenbach
10-07-2004, 07:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/7onBed.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/6onBed.jpg

enough said

sirrahbed
10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

enough said
TOO FUNNY!! I just posted on you furnace thread Jen:D

Felicia's Mom
10-07-2004, 08:18 PM
No, it is not off limits. They usually sleep with me only in cold weather though. That might be because I have a fan blowing on the bed in hot weather.

dragonchilde
10-07-2004, 08:24 PM
When I lived in my apartment with Minette and Wobbles, they had their own room. We closed them up in it at night, because we didn't trust either of them to stay out of trouble. And Wobbles liked to play with toes. ;) We always let them out first thing, and Wobbles would immediately bound into the bedroom and jump up on the bed for some major purrs, kneads, and head bumpies. That was our 15 minutes of affection every day, and it became quite a routine. ;)

That said, I prefer to have cats in my room. I sleep with Tinkerbell like a big stuffed animal. ;) Mozart would sleep with us, but he likes to get up at four AM and sit my my ear, purring really loudly while he plays with my hair.

So he sleeps in his room. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-08-2004, 12:34 AM
No, my cats can sleep on my bed any time they wish to. Storm will usually sleep at the foot of the bed and on cold nights Sunny will curl up beside me for warmth. Sky will usually sleep beside me in his kitty condo but will occasionally sleep at the foot of the bed. As long as Storm is in the room, then Cirrus isn't allowed on the bed.:( He'll usually sleep in the kitty condo or sleep in the living room. I prop my door open with a door stopper so they can come and go throughout the night as they please.:)

catmandu
10-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Sometimes,I think,that the Bed,is off limits,to me! But its a King Sized Bed,so I take one third,and The Found Cats,get the rest! I think,thats its nice,that they let me have,that third!

emily_the_spoiled
10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
I might start the night in bed by myself, but by the time morning comes I have 3 (out of 4) cats who have joined me in bed. Emily likes to sleep on the other pillow, Tanner likes to sleep under the covers, and Charlie will sleep almost anywhere but his favorite place is anyplace with flannel (so I have a small flannel blanket at the end of the bed just for him ;) ) Bear still hasn't reached the point where she joins us, but I figure that is just a matter of time...

catnapper
10-08-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm getting here to this discussion a bit late, but better late than never! ;)

I was out of town for the past few days and spent the night in a hotel... I tossed and turned and slept miserably. When I spoke to my husband the next morning I complained of my bad night's sleep and he had the NERVE to say, "Oh, I slept GREAT! I had the dog on one side of me and the cats on the other." Grrr.... what a brag he is! Thats why I couldn't sleep! I need my fuzzies there to comfort me! :D

The only time I can think of where it should honestly be discouraged is if you have bad allergies. Then MAYBE... but I have allergies and rather suffer through the sniffles than miss out of the nightly purring and loving.

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 09:29 AM
I let all three of my adults on the bed. Ripley sleeps at our feet of and on during the night and if there is a thunderstorm he is usually on my chest (hard to breathe with a 18 pound cat on your chest). Jazz will sometimes sleep between my legs and Scout sleeps curled up in my arm against my side.

Wonder what it'll will be like when the kittens join us?:D

NKBurlington
10-08-2004, 10:35 AM

Same here! The more the merrier.

Uniqueviking
10-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Nope, it's not. I love having my babies in the bed with me. Like I said in the "furnace" topic: They're soft and warm, live little "teddybears" :)

Actually, I don't think I'd be able to sleep if I didn't have them right there next to me.

Beans always sleeps on the left side, right next to my face. Jade, the Beddy Bear, sleeps under the duvet with me on the right side and Brynja also under the duvet, but on the left side. Boomer likes to sleep on my legs. Bownie the Bat sleeps on my chest (but usually goes off to sleep on a blankie somewhere during the night) :)

NoahsMommy
10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Nope, our bed seems to belong to the cats and they nicely share it with us. ;)

I think my hubby would prefer that less cats slept with us, but I know he likes it when we awakes to a few snuggling kitties.

My Micah wont leave the bed until I'm up, no matter what. Noah always sleeps on my feet or on my head/pillow. ;) Hermoine sleeps between us, Basie sleeps next to David's head. The rest come and go, but when I awake, there are always three or more on the bed with me.

Its a WONDERFUL way to begin the day. :D

Sirrahsim
10-08-2004, 07:13 PM
my poor hubby has bad kitty allergies, so Boomer is not allowed in the bedroom at night. I will let him in with me during the day as long as he sleeps on my side of the bed or my pillow:) When it is change the sheets day he gets his run of the whole bed:D :D :D