PDA

View Full Version : Jessica spoke!

Killearn Kitties
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
We have Daisy imprisoned in the house at the moment, because her eye problem has flared up and she is getting ointment. We usually try to keep Jessica in with her because otherwise she camps out in the shed and I don't want her to do that because we have had unusually wet weather recently. It also gives Daisy a bit of company when we're not there.

Last night they were all in. About 5am we heard Jessica digging in the litter tray and throwing it at the walls (or whatever she does to get it everywhere). Then we heard her come upstairs, Sam and Daisy were on the bed at this point. Jessica got quite far up the stairs and meowed twice! We have never heard Jessica's voice before. Not once in the nine years she has been here has she uttered any kind of sound (apart from short hisses when we capture her to take her to the vet). Even on the way to the vet, Sam and Daisy object vociferously; Jessica remains stoically silent.

We now know that she has a kind of strangled meow. A rather strange sound. We were absolutely stunned. For a wild moment we thought she might jump on the bed too, but I think she is taking one thing at a time!

cruisetime
10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
That is awesome! I had heard that strays may not meow. I was afraid mine wouldn't when I got her I hadn't heard her talk other than to hiss at another cat I was looking at at the shelter. She did though - at first only to me and now to my hubby too. That is so wonderful that yours spoke! :) Debbie

aguu
10-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Perhaps she simply had nothing interesting enough to say up until this point.
Gosh - wouldn't it be fastinating to find out what she was trying to tell you??!!

catmandu
10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
That is Good News,as it means,taht she accepts you,as her Guardians,as Cats never MMMEEEOW,to other Cats,just us!

jazzcat
10-08-2004, 09:37 AM
That was the first time in 9 years?? Wow!!! Talk about holding her tongue.

kimlovescats
10-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Incredible!!!! :D

sirrahbed
10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
WOW!!!:eek: I wish I knew what she said - it must have been VERY deep and significant;)

Killearn Kitties
10-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I think she said "Help! I want out!" :D

sirrahbed
10-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
I think she said "Help! I want out!" :D
Karen - after nine years of silence - I was imagining something a bit more profound!!http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/lachen/laughing-smiley-004.gif You know - something wise and meaningful:p

lady_zana
10-08-2004, 11:54 AM
I wish you could meet my sister's cat Oliver. He hasn't been quiet for nine seconds since she got him.

Why is it that strays might not meow? I had never realized that before.

RedHedd
10-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Mitzi didn't meow a lot when I first got her, however once I got Mr. talkative Mishi, I think he's teaching her - probably naughty words! Now she's talking more and has a cute, squeaky little voice, however her "silent" meows are the cutest. Her little mouth opens, but nothing a human can hear comes out. :)

Kirsten
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
That's amazing!!! Jessica has finally decided to speak!

And yes, I agree, I think she complained about being "imprisoned". :D

Kirsten

lynnestankard
10-08-2004, 03:43 PM
He he he Karen - I bet she was saying

"Hey Meowmie I need some more cat litter in my box!!!"

Maybe she's had no complaints this last 9 years!!:D :D

Lynne

AmberLee
10-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, I'm betting that she'll never become a chatter-box, but will be giving you more "updates" on her life as time goes by. ;)