PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

pitc9
10-07-2004, 09:57 AM
OMG, I am getting so worked up over this...

My hubby and I are going to be spending Thanksgiving with my sister in Missouri. This will be the first trip where we both are going, and have to put the dogs somewhere. AHHHHH!!
I can't imagine not having them with me or at home!!

I have two options... I can start looking and checking out kennels... or have my father in law check in on them a few times a day.

The #1 thing I HAVE to find in a kennel is a place where they both can stay in the same kennel. There is NO way I would have them separated!! NO WAY!!
They are the two biggest scardy cats.... they handle stress better together.
I have to start calling around and stopping my places and check them out.
Oh my poor babies.... that goodness it's only going to be from Wednesday till Sunday (or Monday depending on pick up times)
:(

OR

My father in law offered to stop over a few times a day and let them out of their crates. He would spend an hour or so at the house eachtime he stopped. They only live 15 minuets away.... Oh I don't know what to do. I know it would be less stress on them if they stayed at home. But I can't imagine them having to sleep in crates at night! :(

What would you do?
Pleeeease help me?

I don't have anyone that would be able to stay at the house (I wish I did!! That would be the BEST!!) My friends/family all have dogs of their own to look after or they have kids!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
I don't have anyone that would be able to stay at the house (I wish I did!! That would be the BEST!!) My friends/family all have dogs of their own to look after or they have kids!!!

Does that mean that your dogs can not go and stay with your father in law?

Kfamr
10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Personally, i'd allow them to stay home and have someone check in on them.

They'll feel alot better at home, I think.

cloverfdx
10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
I too would prefer leaving the dogs at home and have someone come and let them out.

Samantha Puppy
10-07-2004, 10:16 AM
I think they'd prefer to be at home, BUT I don't think I'd like having them in their crates for most of the time. I know your FIL said he'd come let them out and stay for an hour and come over several times a day but that is still a LOT of time for a big dog to be cooped up.

There's no way you could take your pups to your sister's with you? Or your FIL couldn't take them home with him for a few days? Is there a professional dog/pet sitter in your area you could try out?

Logan
10-07-2004, 10:16 AM
I think having your father in law come is the best alternative. I have certainly boarded Lilly and Honey in the past, when I didn't have a petsitter and the kennels were large enough for them to stay together in an indoor/outdoor run. But kennels, no matter how nice, are noisy and stressful, I think, especially when dogs are used to being confined. My girls always did fine, but were also always pooped when they came home.

The best of all worlds was when I found my petsitter through www.petsit.com and now no one ever has to leave anymore. They get to stay home and she comes two-three times/day and plays and loves on each of them (including the cats and birds). It is not cheap to have a petsitter, but I definitely recommend it over boarding, anytime. I should say that my dogs are not in crates, and Honey, Lilly and Zipper stay outside during the day when we are away. Murphy stays indoors. But if your father in law will come several times a day, for that long of a period, they should be fine!

Good luck, and try not to stress too much!

pitc9
10-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Does that mean that your dogs can not go and stay with your father in law?

Correct, they do not have a fenced in yard. The last time I let my hubby take Sierra there to play with their dog, they took off and were gone for almost two days.:eek:

So NOOOOOO way are they going there!
Plus my mother in law is still a little uneasy around Buddy:rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
10-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Id say let them out a few times a day and leave them at home. Pups tend to be a lot better in familiar turf, and Ive noticed you can avoid behavior problems too. My friend always put her dog up in a kenel every time she went out of town and her dog was always such a snot when she came back :rolleyes:. I do really think they get mad at you and throw a tantrum lol!

Tonya
10-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I'd find a good kennel. I would think it would be just as stressful and scary for them if they were stuck in their crates at home and you were missing.

I kennel my dogs and they've grown to love it there. They get excited when we pull up. They always kennel Dusty and Roxy together for me. They prefer it that way too because then, they aren't taking up as many kennels yet they're making just as much money.

pitc9
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
There's no way you could take your pups to your sister's with you? Or your FIL couldn't take them home with him for a few days? Is there a professional dog/pet sitter in your area you could try out?

No, I can't take them with me, my sister lives in Missouri and I live in Ohio, we are flying.

I could check out a pet sitting service, but then again... I guess my father in law would be my own personal pet sitting service!!:D

Besides... my hubby is not the most trusting fellow:rolleyes: and would not like strangers in the house when no one is home.

pitc9
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I'd find a good kennel. I would think it would be just as stressful and scary for them if they were stuck in their crates at home and you were missing.

I kennel my dogs and they've grown to love it there. They get excited when we pull up. They always kennel Dusty and Roxy together for me. They prefer it that way too because then, they aren't taking up as many kennels yet they're making just as much money.

How were they the first time you sent them there?

Samantha Puppy
10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
Besides... my hubby is not the most trusting fellow:rolleyes: and would not like strangers in the house when no one is home. Mine is the exact same way. Frustrating, isn't it?

*sigh* Maybe you could pen them in a certain room so at least they wouldn't be in a crate for so much time? That's the main thing that I'd feel horrible over if I were in your situation.

micki76
10-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I personally would NEVER kennel my dogs. I did it once years ago, and it won't happen again. Too many potential hazards ranging from them getting lose, getting sick, being abused and/or neglected, or being medicated by accident. No way will I ever subject my voiceless children to that.

Tonya
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
How were they the first time you sent them there?

They were excited. They always get excited with outings and new places. They were anxious to get back to the kennels to see the other dogs that they heard barking. They're happy to see me when I get back, but it doesn't seem like they missed me.

*Their reaction was the same as it is when we go to the dog park. They were so excited that they didn't even notice me leaving.

Tonya
10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by micki76
I personally would NEVER kennel my dogs. I did it once years ago, and it won't happen again. Too many potential hazards ranging from them getting lose, getting sick, being abused and/or neglected, or being medicated by accident. No way will I ever subject my voiceless children to that.

I could imagine feeling that way. My highschool friend's mother owns the kennel I use. I have taken my dogs out there for training and stuff, so I feel more then comfortable. My grandmother, on the other hand, leaves her dog at the vet's kennels. I am always worried about her dog and trying to talk her into using my kennel. I especially dislike vet kennels because that's where sickness is. I don't see any reason to bring my dogs close to death and sickness unless it was necessary.

cloverfdx
10-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I could not say before but i too will NEVER kennel my dogs ever again :(, it breaks my heart to think i what i put them through earlier in the year. My sweet bright happy dogs in a few days turned into depressed lethargic animals. I know not all dogs react that way, but i will not risk their health and safety again.

I hope your FIL can come a few times a day for Buddy and Sierra. That is a great idea about penning off some of the house so they have a little more room, if possible.

Tina
10-07-2004, 11:03 AM
I think leaving them home and let someone check on them is the best thing to do.

I don't think I could never kennel my pups.:( I would much rather them be at home where someone can check on them.

pitc9
10-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I could try to clear a room in the basement for them.

They will and HAVE eaten/chewed on everything!! Carpet, cushions, couches, the cover to the pool table, books.... you name it!

So I have to be careful!! Esp since they will be a little weirded out since we won't be home!!!

LorraineO
10-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Can your dad maybe spend the nights overnight with them,, would your parents mind the evenings away from eachother?? this way,, she gets the bed to therself,, your dad gets a bed to himself and the doggies dont sleep in crates in the night!? :D

4 Dog Mother
10-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Having met your dogs, I think they would be better at home. They are very sensitive and love you so much, I think they would have a tough time at a kennel. Most of the kennels I know of, leave them in a small space most of the time too, - like a crate but with high walls. Some have a small dog run so they can be out a little but others only walk them once or twice aday and you have to pay for that. I worked for a short time for a vet and their kennel I think would be very scary to most dogs. The dogs did not get very much human contact either. It was noisy and echo-y and smelled funny!

When we did have to kennel our other dogs (a very long, long time ago) they came home smelly and dirty!

I always take my dogs to a relative or leave them at home for a neighbor to let them in and out. I think your dogs would feel less stressed at home.

Uabassoon
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
The best of all worlds was when I found my petsitter through www.petsit.com and now no one ever has to leave anymore.

This really is a great place to find a good pet sitting agency. The company that I work for is listed there. You should be able to find a wonderful and experienced sitter that could stay there overnight, then have your FIL stop by during the day to let them out.

chocolatepuppy
10-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I voted stay at home. But is there maybe one other person you could trust with them so they'd have less time alone? They could stop in at different times then your FIL.

lovingisliving76
10-07-2004, 04:37 PM
I would let them stay at home as long as they were not left in their crates the majority of the time. If I were you I'd set up a room that you could let them stay loose in (after making sure there were nothing in it that they could get hurt by. At night maybe your FIL could come by and crate them for bedtime. But leaving them in the crates for such a long time and then being out of them for only an hour or so at a time is not a good idea. Imagine yourself in their paws. :-)

shutterbug0303
10-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, going on personal experience...it's mixed for me. Most kennels place the dogs in the same cage, but just leave them there and feed them twice a day...and hopefully walk them too. However, there is a place near me that is a "cage-free"/24 hr kennel/day care. They let the pups out to play in "pup-friendly" rooms and in their spacious, well-fenced yard with swimming pools and tons of toys. The kids are always monitored, bathed before being picked up, and loved on all the time. An ideal kennel situation that isn't too outrageously priced! (working on opening one of my own a little closer to my neck of the woods :D )...but anyway...if there isn't something like this available to you, then I would go for the leave @ home w/ FIL situation. I would try to find a safe place for them to be in the daytime out of their cage though. Good luck! :) :)

pitc9
10-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by shutterbug0303
Well, going on personal experience...it's mixed for me. Most kennels place the dogs in the same cage, but just leave them there and feed them twice a day...and hopefully walk them too. However, there is a place near me that is a "cage-free"/24 hr kennel/day care. They let the pups out to play in "pup-friendly" rooms and in their spacious, well-fenced yard with swimming pools and tons of toys. The kids are always monitored, bathed before being picked up, and loved on all the time. An ideal kennel situation that isn't too outrageously priced! (working on opening one of my own a little closer to my neck of the woods :D )...but anyway...if there isn't something like this available to you, then I would go for the leave @ home w/ FIL situation. I would try to find a safe place for them to be in the daytime out of their cage though. Good luck! :) :)

Boy... that sounds more like a vacation spot than a kennel!!!:D

pitc9
10-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Thank you all for the input.

I have spoken to another friend of mine, and she will come over and let them out to play for an hour or two once in a while, and I have one other person to ask. So they should be okay!
I already know how I am going to section off an area for them to stay in. They can be in crates during the day (they are used to that) then at night... I think I am asking for trouble ... but I think I am going to have my FIL gate them in our bedroom for the night. I mean hey... that's where they normally sleep!! But we may not have a mattress or blankets left when we get home. I think I may work for the first night... but after that, I think they may start to get mad!!!

WHEW.... I think I feel better!!
I can't believe how long I still have to freak out about all of this!
:D I can't stop thinking about it! I can't believe I am going to be leaving my babies for 4 days!!!!!

I know they are not going to eat!! The only time they eat... is when I mix up their food. Rick can mix up the SAME food... but they won't eat it!!:p Oh well.. it's not like they are going to starve! They'll eat when they are hungry!!!

pitc9
10-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
Having met your dogs, I think they would be better at home. They are very sensitive and love you so much, I think they would have a tough time at a kennel.

Yes... they are TOO sensitive!!!:o

lovemyshiba
10-08-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm a little late, as it seems you already have made your decision, and it's a good one, I believe.
I kenneled my dogs once, when we were moving into our house, and I was so glad I did, because it was much easier to get things done without them underfoot, and we didn't have to worry about them running out the door. But that was just for the day, not even overnight, and I left them with my vet.

Fortunately, we have a great dogsitter. A 16-year-old kid who lives on our street does that for some extra money. He was recommended to us by neighbors, and he does an amazing job. He stays with them any time we go anywhere, even if it's just for a long day. There is also a guy who my husband works with who is a college student and lives in a cramped apartment with 2 roommates, and we used him last time we needed someone to stay with them, because the other kid had to leave early. He loved having the whole house to himself for a few hours.

I believe Sierra and Buddy will do better in their own environment, and I hope all goes well. I was worried about Jada not eating when we went to the beach this summer, but she did it no problem.

snappy
10-08-2004, 11:09 AM
I am so glad you decided to keep your kids at home. I have an older gentleman who comes to my house and sits, takes the boys for 3 walks a day, gets the mail, answers the phone etc. that I use every time I am going out of town. In fact - sometimes I think the boys love him more than they do us! ;)

I don't like 'strangers' in my house either, and had to really get to know Max before I would let him stay in my house and take care of my kids. But this is now a great situation for all - he gets out of his small apartment (where he lives alone) and the boys get all the 'Max' attention they can handle.

I would check with a local college (vet college if there is one near you) or the Petsit.com to see if there isn't someone there who you can interview to see if they can help for the future. Then the FIL can come and check to make sure that all is going well until you are really secure with the 'new' person.

Just MHO!

kingrattus
10-08-2004, 06:26 PM
I have mixed feelings about dog kennels. RB Max has gone to both good & bad kennels.

A really big & nicelooking kennels Max had gone to several times was good, he wasn't bathed but he wasn't stinky or filthy when we got him back, except for the last time he was there. He was a mess. he smelled horrid & was covered in dirt from nose to tail, he had deep gashes on his lips & scabson his face too. Hes not the type to fight unless someone is getting hurt or a dog is attacking him or another, he always went after the agressor to breakit up. But the kennels didn't tell us anything at all. so we never took him back. & they closed a year later, so something must have been going on, cause it was always full of dogs.

Then in PEI, we wanted to go somewhere for the day & found only 1 kennel open. We drove him there & were a little unsure. The kennels wasn't normally a bording kennel, but it was a personal Shelty kennel.

The lady said yes to us cause we called her, sounded nice & so did Max. the lady wasn't expecting such a large dog & said what she'll do is open all the Shelty outside runs so he can walk around from run to run to run & she'll leave the walking area open to him too. & at night he could sleep in the Shelty House & have the whole space to himself while the Shelties were in their kennels. The space was HUGE & she brought him several large blankets to sleep on.

Her daughtor LOVED Max & we told him he wont run awayso it was safeto bring him to thehay field to run & play with him. The daughtor ended up playing with him the whole time he was there & they all LOVED him so much. Now that I think of it, they were the ones who got usto change his food fron the 2'ed best to the best in Canada at the time, which was Nutro. Her dogs were Lovely & very healthy.

But after Max turned 5 he was just too large for Kennels& there no no more left in our home area. We got ouryoung neighbour to care from him. She would stay with him all day, take him to her friends houses, her house, walks, swimming, watched scarry movies with him, slept in the house with him, brought her female dog over to play with him (she was a fixed mini Scnousar (sp)). Max LOVED staying at home, we knew he was getting town water & was eating his own food (he would get very ill otherwise).

Max wasa good dog so he had the whole house to himself.

Miranda_Rae
10-20-2004, 06:27 PM
I did not vote because I could not make up my mind. When I have to go away and I can't bring Heidi with her I leave her at my dog trainers kennel. She LOVES to go there, she gets there and shes just shaking with excitement and her tail is waging. :) I would NEVER send her to a kennel with someone I don't know though....I did it once because I was down in a city and I was going some place and I couldn't bring her with, and I wasn't going to leave her in the hot car, so I had to settle for her staying at a kennel for just the day, not overnight....I will NEVER do that again, never. When I left her there and walked away she was crying. :( I still feel awful about it. :( But when I am going somewhere I take her out to my trainers kennel because I know and trust her. My trainer gives the dogs a complimentary bath before she sends them home-a brushing, ear clean, nail trim and a bath. So I don't know....a lot of other people have given great advice, so I just thought I would tell you what I do. :)

bckrazy
10-20-2004, 08:13 PM
I voted other, because I just noticed you have a pen! Could your father in law possibly come over in the morning, maybe exercise them and put them in their pen, then come back at night and play with them and put them in their crates inside? As long as the weather is ok, of course, and if it started raining he could bring the dogs inside. ^_^ I'm sure you've considered it, or some one has said the same thing, but I think it's a good idea if it could work out. A pen together is a lot better than sitting in crates all day, you know?

Also, I don't trust kennels either. Most of them will only feed your dogs the food they have on hand, which is usually Iams :rolleyes:.. we've only had to kennel Gonzo once, which was when he had to be quarentined. He came back to us very dirty, starting to get fleas (he was on Advantix), and exhausted. This was a very expensive kennel that was part of a veterinary office. He slept for days after he came back, I think all of the barking dogs kept him up. But, I know there are a lot of *good* kennels out there, maybe you could even find a doggy daycare-type place for them!

KYS
10-20-2004, 09:16 PM
I am glad they are staying home and you have worked
everything out.
Some dogs do great in kennels and others do not.
(my current dogs would be stressed in a kennel)

I am lucky, if I need to take off, my aunt who
lives next door will take care of them.
During the day, the dogs stay in the back yard and
in the evening they sleep in the house.

(I am lucky that my dogs are no longer destructive)

My aunt/Uncle had a GSD who was a PIG.
But when they went out of town, that dog would not eat
untill they returned.
It's funny how dogs are so different.
(mine on the other hand eat better when I am
gone) lol

Have a great time, I am sure your pups are in good hands.

shais_mom
10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
I am very lucky. My parents watch Keegan for me and when the time came up that they were going to their cottage while I was going to be away for a weekend, they just took her with them. :)
This is also one of the reasons I haven't gotten another dog. My mom ~not the animal lover~ can't take more then one dog in the house at a time.
I think having your friends stop by and your father in law is the best idea.
I agree with Diana, having met your dogs, I think they would do much better at home. :)
Good luck!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I am a manager of a small and wonderful boarding facility. We keep no more than 30 dogs at a time (a kennel near us keeps 120 at a time). We have 1 girl for every 5-7 dogs. They are in little bedroom suites rather than runs and it's plenty of room for 2 GSDs. They get 3 walks and play time each day. We rarely have a dog that is upset being there. They are often nervous for the first hour or so (depending on the dog) but settle in rather quickly. Most of our return guests are excited to come and visit us again. We certainly are no replacement for mommy and daddy, but the dogs do accept us nicely for the time they are with us. We have people from far away bring their pets to us. We have a lady who drives 2 hours to bring her shelties to us, we have a man who drives down from savannah, GA to bring his cat to us and then he flies out of Orlando. We have a yorkie coming from New York to stay with us over Christmas, she has been with us many times.

questions and tips for boarding:
-Many boarding facilities will probably be already booked up for Thanksgiving by now. We were booked full at the beginning of September. If you find one you like and they are booked full ask to be put on a waiting list.
-Ask what the person to dog ratio is.
-bring something from home- a favorite toy, a blanket, a t-shirt that you wore to bed the night before.
-Do they provide a bed? If not ask if you can bring your own
-ask what hours someone will be there on the holidays.
-ask what they use to clean and sterilize the room between guests. (we use mintcide, which a lot of vets use. A kennel across town uses Lysol, which is no good for a kennel)

robinh
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm in the same boat as pict9. We're going out of town to SO's sisters house. Can't take dogs because her daughter and son-in-law are horribly allergic to dogs. Can't put Max in kennel - he'd die. He was with his Peach last time we kenneled him and he was so sick when we got back, I said I'd never do it again.

So our solution is to make my son stay at our house to babysit. I've babysit with his dogs enough times - it's his turn to watch ours. His wife will probably stay at home with their dogs. Can't leave his dogs alone with ours during the days - they can be together when someone is on site, but NOT alone!

pitc9
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
I have decided to keep them at home and have my father in law let them out a few times a day. I will TRY to let them sleep gated in our bedroom at night (we'll have to see how the first night goes) They like to chew up everything :o

We have a dog pen outside they can stay in for a few hours at a time. I also have a landing, basement stairs and a section of the basement I can block off for them too. Along with their crates that they LOVE!! I have a friend that will come over and play with them for an hour or two once in a while. So they will be fine.

KBlaix - My dogs are nut cases, Buddy gets spooked very easily, barks at other dogs (anyone at the park last year could second that:o) and Sierra is very afraid of strangers. They get stressed out VERY easily (and they would have the poops for a week after! :o )

Thank you to EVERYONE for your input, you all have helped put my mind at ease!!! This will be the first time leaving my babies, and I think I am going to loose my mind worring about them!!
But we are going to my sisters in Missouri and she has 3 dogs and a kitten, so I'm sure they will help keep my pups off my mind!

joycenalex
10-21-2004, 08:40 PM
for the first time in 6 years i went on an away vacation earlier this month via an airplane to texas from ohio. it was the first time i've been away from alex the wonder dog for more then two nights since he was diagnosed with epilepsy in 1997. i left him at home with 2 close friends who switched off staying with him over night. he knows them very well, and even then he was stressed enough to have a seizure, but being in his own space, with his own cats and his own things and his bed( mine really) were better for him. i had used on an absolutely wonderful kennel 3 years ago for a weekend trip. they treated him well, fed him exactly what i prepped for him, gave him a bath before his pick up time, and treated him as the prince that he is. i have recommended it to 2 coworkers.
it sounds as though you've made the best choice for your dogs.