PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Question - ATOMIC CHILI!!! Help!!!

christa
10-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I made a pot of chili yesterday. It was already really HOT becasue it had a big fat habanero pepper in it. Then my husband comes home and puts about 1/8 of a tsp of "habanero mash" in it. Well, it's so hot now that HE can't even eat it and he's got a stomach made of steel!!!

So my question . . . How can I cool this stuff down? Any suggestions? Should I just water it down? Add more tomato sauce???

Seriously, it deserves the name ATOMIC!!!

HELP!!!

Maresche
10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
I would add more of whatever else was in there; tomato sauce, meat, beans, whatever. That should decrease the heat to volume ratio enough to be edible.

Samantha Puppy
10-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Yup, increase the volume of tomato sauce, meat, beans and add water. You'll have a monster VAT of chili but at least you'll be able to eat it! LOL

PJ's Mom
10-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Yep. Add the least acidic foods first...such as beans and meat. :)

After that, tell hubby to leave the chili alone. :D

Logan
10-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Your sinuses should certainly be clear!!!!! :eek:

Any spicy flavor my chili gets is due to using more Cayenne pepper. I've NEVER used a Habanero before! In fact, I've never even bought one! LOL!!!! :)

christa
10-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I've NEVER used a Habanero before! In fact, I've never even bought one! LOL!!!! :)

ONE is all it takes!!! LOL Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will try it!

Maresche
10-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Any chili you can't eat in the next few days should freeze nicely for later too.

lynnestankard
10-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Try a little milk instead of water, to thin it out, it might help a bit - and serve it with yoghurt.

Lynne

puppyluvs
10-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Yup, increase the volume of tomato sauce, meat, beans and add water. You'll have a monster VAT of chili but at least you'll be able to eat it! LOL

I agree and add milk to if you can....
This happened to us once, everery one was adding this and that and no one knew the other was doing it....LOL

RICHARD
10-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by christa

Seriously, it deserves the name ATOMIC!!!

HELP!!!

If all else fails.....

Paint stripper!!!!:eek:

http://www.thescarms.com/hotstuff/pepperfacts.htm

Some Habanero facts!!!!

-------------------------

This sounds gross but something sweet like molasses or a few teaspoons of brown sugar may take the bite out of it.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Brown Sugar counteracts the HOT AND SPICINESS. :eek:

Logan
10-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I was thinking that a little sour cream, served with it, might help too! I love Chili with cheese and sour cream! In fact, that's what I had for dinner last night!

christa
10-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Brown Sugar counteracts the HOT AND SPICINESS. :eek:

Now this is something that I've been wondering . . . if there's anything that counteracts HOTNESS . . . I knew that Milk was supposed to . . . I might try both milk and brown sugar . . . lol . . . I'll probably end up throwing it away anyway!!!

:)