PDA

View Full Version : Spencer, I need your help!!

gini
01-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Next door to my home is another home with a portion of the house converted to an apartment. The woman and her daughter who live there already have five indoor cats. Their cats need to be separated as they don't all get along.

My problem: A stray kitten has been around for several months. The neighbor has been feeding her outdoors and after months, she can finally pet her and pick her up but only for a moment or two. That's how they determined she is a female. The time has arrived for her to be spayed and soon. She isn't in heat yet, but it is only a matter of time.

My neighbor has asked if I will keep her in my home after her surgery. They cannot put her inside of their small apartment and she needs to be sheltered for a day or two.

I have Rascal - a large orange tabby who is about four years old. He knows this kitty, but I don't know how he will react if she is in my home with him. He has full run of the house.

She really is a sweet little thing - part Siamese with huge blue eyes - and somewhere there is some orange tabby - as she has a pale tabby tail. Otherwise, she is all white.

What do you suggest? I don't want her to harm herself and think the smaller the space the better - such as my bathroom. I only have one bathroom - so it would be interesting for us to share.........

As nearly as I know, she has never been inside a house - and she is cautious around me -letting me get only about ten feet away from her and then she scurries under their house. So the entire experience is going to be frightening for her.

There are also two additional stray cats that live next door - so count seven in all plus this kitty.

I have considering adopting her, however this is the worst time of year for my work schedule - and I won't have the proper time to devote to her.

Do you have any suggestions or advise - and of course, I am open to anyone else's advice as well.

The obvious would be to have the vet keep her for several days - but this is a low cost spaying clinic and they will only keep her overnight. I am not familiar with this clinic, but my own vet would be easily three to four times the cost (distemper shot only).

Thank you!!

gini
01-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Chuck (Spencer's Dad) Thank You!

Gini and Rascal

lbaker
01-19-2002, 07:12 AM
Spencer (chuck) you really are an incredible person, thank's for being around when we need you:D laurie

gini
01-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Again, thank you Chuck and Tutone too!

The kitten has an appointment for next Wednesday. They do keep her overnight - but recommended she be kept indoors for several days. And this is why my neighbor asked if I could keep her.

I do have a large cat carrier - but not large enough for a litter box.

I have been considering keeping her, (permanently) but she would have to stay indoors with me. If I let her out - she will go right back to her "home" next door and where she is fed. My Rascal goes to visit her every day - so he really likes her. And when Rascal is indoors she comes over looking for him. So there are some plusses here.

All of these changes are going to be hard on her and I want it to be as stress free as possible while she is in my home.

I will keep you posted on the results. Wish me luck!

zippy-kat
01-21-2002, 11:52 AM
Is it official? Are you a TWO cat household yet? ;)

If so, what'd ya decide to name her?!:D

gini
01-21-2002, 10:26 PM
She goes to the vets on Weds. morning.

My neighbors call her Squirt (yucky name).

I kinda liked Annie.

Don't know about this adoption thing. Rascal has been taking on the neighborhood and so now he is grounded.

Having an indoor companion might be the answer - but is "Annie" the one?

Stay tuned.

gini
01-23-2002, 03:23 PM
What a disaster!!! My neighbor put food out for the kitty as usual in the morning early. She was able to pick her up but then her next moves are the disaster part.

She took her into her kitchen where her daughter was waiting with the cage carrier. The kitten took one look at the daughter and the carrier and freaked out. She has badly scratched my neighbor - is now loose again and very much in heat.

I just don't think a trap will work with strong smelling tuna or other fish, because the neighbor leaves food out for the other strays - so she has access to food.

The situation is really beyond my control aside from suggestions for the possible "next time".