PDA

View Full Version : Getting Peanut A Friend....

Desert Arabian
10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Peanut has settled in quite nicely and has bonded pretty well with me- she only likes me and nobody else. :p When my friend Katrina comes over to visit, Peanut does not want anything to do with her and nips at her to get away.

Since she has settled in and gotten accustomed to her new family, I thought it was time that I start looking around for a bunny companion for her. There are so many at the shelter where I got her, she is buddies with most of them there.

I am going tomorrow to HAWS and Elm-Brook (where Pea is from) to take a peak at all the buns there. Nothing is set in stone though.

Here are some rabbits I am particularly interested in:
Emily:
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/WI47/WI47.3226018-1-x.jpg
Anubis:
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/WI47/WI47.3079438-1-x.jpg
--ïƒ_ I am very interested in him, I saw him a couple of days ago at Elm-Brook, and he is an extreme sweetie pie!
Antoin:
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/WI111/WI111.3331071-1-x.jpg
Cody:
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/WI111/WI111.3462077-1-x.jpg

There is a MUST requirement: litter trained! The bun has to already be litter trained. Neutered/spayed would also be nice, but I could have the surgery done myself if needed. Most of the rabbits are already altered, but there are a select few that aren’t. They obviously have to get along with other rabbits- otherwise there is no point in adopting the rabbit if it will not get along with Peanut.

The cage will be split in half, and they will be introduced slowly to each other. I will mainly let them get to know each other by sniffing one another through the wire. Once they seem to be ok with each other, I will allow them to mingle under supervision. I am prepared for the worse, if they do not like each other, then they will stay separated- simple as that, I refuse to take the rabbit back to the humane society.

I am not really worried about Penaut rejecting her new pal, I believe she will bond with her buddy quite fast. She is just fine with Sammy, but she attacks him when he gets to close to her food. Her papers from her owner state that she gets along fine with cats, dogs, and other animals- so I am guessing that with proper introduction there shouldn’t be a problem on her half. I am more worried about the newbie rejecting Peanut.

I just thought I would give a "rabbit update", hehe. :)

CathyBogart
10-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Oooh, I'm in love with Anubis!!

manda_moo87
10-06-2004, 07:09 PM
What a beautiful bun-buns. I bet Peanut will love having somebunny to be her friend (LOL). :) I personally love Anubis and Cody, all of them are adorable though!

Aspen and Misty
10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
If I were you I would get a already nutered male. Peanute will do the best with him.

Make sure you do TONS of research on bonding, it's hard and it takes a looooong time, unless your buns fall in love at first sight, but dont' count on it;)

Let Peanute pick out her new pal. Take her with you and do blind dates. She will let you know which one she likes and you will have more success bonding!

Also, the pens you have now, the holes are big enough for bunnies to hurt each other through so you will need something with smaller holes.

Just so you know, I also thought Julian would bond quickly. He loves our dogs and cats. He will follow them around and lay right against them! But he does NOT like other bunnies and there is a close to no chance to ever bonding him to anything bunny! he just doesn't like to share his cage, toys and food. He thinks they are his and only his.

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea!!! The bunnies you chose are adorably wonderful!

Good luck!!

Ashley

Desert Arabian
10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Let Peanute pick out her new pal. Take her with you and do blind dates. She will let you know which one she likes and you will have more success bonding!

That would stress her out too much. I don't think I can do that.

Also, the pens you have now, the holes are big enough for bunnies to hurt each other through so you will need something with smaller holes.

Yep, I know that. I would use a different type of wire to partition off the cage so they could not bite each other.

Thanks for the tips, Ash! :D

Yeah, I'm falling for little Anubis too- I hope he passes my "bunny test" LOL.

Aspen and Misty
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YellowLabLover
[B]That would stress her out too much. I don't think I can do that.

I know what you mean! Jaxom would die if I ever put him in a situation like that! But Julian would be fine.

Yep, I know that. I would use a different type of wire to partition off the cage so they could not bite each other.

I knew you would be prepared! Peanut, and her new friend, is sooooo lucky to have you as a mom!!

If you need any more tips or have any questions, let me know!

Ash

Kater
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh Laura!!! I'm so excited for you! :D And still jealous...
The buns you listed are all so cuuuuuute! I could never pick! :p Are there any lops for adoption in your area? I've heard lots of very good things about loppies. :)
I wish I could visit you again and meet Peanut (and her new pal!)...then I could prove you wrong about her only liking you. ;) ;) ;)
Good Luck with your search! :D

wolfie
10-06-2004, 11:21 PM
You're so lucky! I hope Peanut loves her new pal!

...and Anubis looks exactly like Benjamin's brother (my friend has him). Is he a mini rex too?

Good luck on your new bun!

Cookiebaker
10-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Ooh! Good Luck in finding another bunny-bun, YLL! How exciting!! :D

Oh, and I like Anubis the best, too! What a beauty! :D