PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear shoes in the house?

popcornbird
10-06-2004, 02:02 AM
A recent chat with a fellow PT'er made me think of posting this topic.

Do you wear shoes (meaning the same shoes you wear outside), inside the house?

*No shoes inside* is a strict rule at our house. We never bring our outside shoes inside. We have a shoe rack in the corner of our tiled entry, and anyone who comes in must remove their shoes and put them there before stepping on the carpet.

The reason is obvious........we don't want our carpet getting dirty. We have always had this rule ever since I was a child, and while there have been times when we broke the rule when in a hurry, it doesn't happen often.

We sometimes wear shoes in the family room, which has tile floors, but shoes are a big no-no in the rest of the house.

So....do you wear shoes in the house?

Kater
10-06-2004, 02:37 AM
In Hawaii it is common courtesy to remove your shoes before you enter someone's home. In my home we also remove our shoes at the door. If it's cold I might wear bedroom slippers indoors, but those never go outside.

The multitudes shoes outside the front door when someone is having a big party can be a hazard! :eek: Trust me!
*trips and falls*

EssTer
10-06-2004, 03:00 AM
no.. no shoes here inside :D

jenluckenbach
10-06-2004, 05:32 AM
I do not wear shoes in the house because I don't want to wear shoes (not for the cleaning factor).

davidpizzica
10-06-2004, 06:20 AM
I don't. As soon as I come in, the shoes come off! I hate wearing shoes inside.

Pam
10-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Pops, I would love to institute this rule but I know at this point in life no one would cooperate (too set in their ways.) *sigh* I could never bring myself to ask guests to remove their shoes either.

Christiansmommy
10-06-2004, 07:13 AM
No shoes here, but not always b/c they are dirty, just b/c it is more comfy that way :) Of course, if they have caked up dirt or mud on them, they have to come off first. When you walk into our garage, the first door into the house from there is the laundry room, so it is a good place to drop the shoes, before entering the house.

ComedyDevil
10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
If they're dirty/wet then shoes get taken off, if not then it depends who it is. I usually wear mine in the house, but now the pups are through their chewing stage ( :rolleyes: ) we're having the carpets replaced, so it'll probably be no shoes in the house after that. :p

Logan
10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I do not wear shoes in the house because I don't want to wear shoes (not for the cleaning factor).

That's me, too, Jen!!! :) I can't get them off my feet fast enough, thus they are spread out all over this house!!! :o

BitsyNaceyDog
10-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Me too.

pitc9
10-06-2004, 08:26 AM
No shoes in the house...but muddy paws are ok!!!

ramanth
10-06-2004, 08:31 AM
It depends. As soon as I get home from work, I'll change from my work shoes to my tennis shoes to take Kia outside. If I know I'm in for the rest of the night, I'll take my shoes off. If I know I'm heading back out, I'll leave them on.

At my parents house we don't take our shoes off at the door, nor do we ask guests too. Same with my place, Andy's place, and his parents. :)

Now if they were really muddy, then yes, I'd take them off.

micki76
10-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
No shoes here, but not always b/c they are dirty, just b/c it is more comfy that way :) Of course, if they have caked up dirt or mud on them, they have to come off first. When you walk into our garage, the first door into the house from there is the laundry room, so it is a good place to drop the shoes, before entering the house.

Same here, Robyn. I HATE to wear shoes in the house. :D

Felicia's Mom
10-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Shoes are not worn when I get home; either slippers or barefoot.

Samantha Puppy
10-06-2004, 09:12 AM
I rarely do. More for the comfort factor than anything else.

Tonya
10-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Our entry way is hardwood. We walk in and go directly to the shoe closet and take them off. We never wear shoes in our house.

jazzcat
10-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I voted only in certain areas. We just had new hardwood and carpet put down in most he house so we are being very careful to not wear shoes on them but our laundry room and kitchen off the garage still have the old vinyl that we plan to replace next year so we will wear our shoes in that far and then take them off. Once we redo the kitchen it will be shoes off at the garage door. However, I don't make company remove shoes, but I don't have a lot of company except my Dad and he's old and would slip and fall on the hardwood without his shoes. A broken hip isn't worth keeping a little dirt off my floor.

anna_66
10-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I voted yes for two reasons.

First off I have to because of the surgery I had on my feet a few years ago. I'm not supposed to go barefoot any more.

And the second reason...the girls are always bringing some dirt in on their feet. This way my socks stay clean:p

molucass
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I never wear shoes in the house.
But with 3 dogs, its almost impossible for the floor to stay completely clean.
I don't wear shoes because I want to be comfortable.

I think the only one of us that actually does all the time is my dad... He never goes barefoot.. He either has his slippers on, or his shoes.

Tina
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah but not that much. If they are really muddy we end up taking them off before we come in. Usually my shoes come off soon as I am in the house.

When our floors are replaced I will probably change the rules some.

Vio&Juni
10-06-2004, 10:50 AM
I do not like shoes in the house - for many reasons - comfort is one of them. I not only change my shoes when I come home, but my clothes very often. I hate the thought that I (or someone else) could step on the carpets, where I like to walk barefooted, with dirt from outside.

I have an American friend that it took me a while to teach him to leave his shoes when he comes in, but... He takes them everytime he visits. He knows the rule. Another thing I hate is when people put their feet, esp. with shoes, on the table. I don't even have to mention about when someone lays in bed with shoes!!!

It is actually considered a sign of disrespect in Moldova to walk in someone's house and not take your shoes off.

catland
10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
I usually wear shoes in the house. I was brought up that way. Also, my arches aren't very good and my feet feel better when I'm wearing shoes.

Edwina's Secretary
10-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I do not like to walk barefoot. I am unable to sleep if my feet feel dirty. So I wear shoes in the house. Maybe house slippers, but something between me and the floor!

I do not ask people to take off their shoes in my house.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I wear mine in the house for many reasons:
No wall to wall carpet to worry about!
My feet get cold!
I have stepped on a couple of dead mice with my bare feet - twice! That cured me of the bare foots!!!!! :eek: :D

slick
10-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I hate shoes of any kind. If I had my way I'd go barefoot 24/7.

aly
10-06-2004, 01:04 PM
We never had a shoes off rule in my house growing up, so I don't have one now either. I could never ask a guest to remove their shoes :o So yeah, I wear them in my house, but usually take them off when I get home anyway for comfort.

joanofark
10-06-2004, 01:32 PM
What are shoes?:confused: :p

CathyBogart
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
No, but the rule gets broken a lot. Our poor white carpets. :)

RedHedd
10-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Nope, no shoes in the house; sheepskin slippers when it's cold. I walk out of my shoes or remove the boots the minute my front door closes! The cats like to sniff them ... silly cats. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by aly
I could never ask a guest to remove their shoes :o

I couldn't either, but most people who come to our house take their shoes off without us saying anything. :p I guess they can tell we don't allow shoes in the house when they see our shoes lined up in the shoe rack, and when they see us not wearing any shoes. :p Occasionally, we'll have guests that will walk right in without taking their shoes off. I can't bring myself to tell them to take it off, so they usually have their shoes on during the entire visit........and it irritates me the entire visit too, though I don't show it. :o I *hate* it when people come into our house with shoes on. :o

I just think its gross to bring the same shoes we walk anywhere with inside the house, on the carpet we sit on, pray on, let the birds explore on, etc. Its just disgusting. We have brand new carpets and we don't want to get them dirty either. :p It didn't irritate me when guests used to walk in with shoes on at our old house, but since we moved, it REALLY bugs me. :p

We wear slippers in the house when its cold, but those slippers don't ever go outside.

Karen
10-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I have screwy feet, so need my orthotics so need shoes for walking around. They're generally off when I'm seated, but if I walk around without them all day, my feet ache.

lizzielou742
10-06-2004, 03:00 PM
No shoes in my apartment! This might get confusing but: I live with my boyfriend. My boyfriend's brother used to live with him in the same apartment (he moved out, I moved in). Anyway but the time I moved in, the carpets were sickening. His brother works at Don Pablo's and he would track in all kinds of disgusting stuff from the restaurant. *gross* We had to have the carpets professionally cleaned when I moved in, and they're still kinda bad. Cleaned but forever ruined. So now, the rule is, ABSOLUTELY no shoes anywhere in the apartment. I'm sure we'll get slammed for $$ for the carpets when we move out, but....what are ya gonna do?

Pam
10-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
His brother works at Don Pablo's and he would track in all kinds of disgusting stuff from the restaurant. *gross*,

What kind of disgusting stuff? Should I be concerned? My son eats there once a week. :)

DJFyrewolf36
10-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Nope, and if it wasn't a requirement I wouldn't wear shoes at ALL! I love going barefoot, and always did as a kid. My feet got real hard after a while, I even could walk on glass without getting cut :eek: but after being out in the world where shoes are required :p my feet have lost some er, toughness. I doubt I could walk on busted up glass anymore but I do know I can walk on rocks and stuff and not get hurt.

I hate shoes. None ever fit my feet right so my feet always end up hurting after a short while.

Everyone just takes off thier shoes at the door most of the time. Its really more out of comfort than anything else. If someone didn't I wouldn't be too miffed about it though.

carole
10-06-2004, 04:32 PM
I wear slippers in winter, to keep warm, and Jandals in summer, I am not keen on barefeet anywhere,think about it, people may have smelly sweaty socks, then take them off and walk around,not only leaving a not so nice aroma, but you never know where they have been with those feet, it might be best if guests keep their shoes on, but then you don't know where they have been either, maybe we should offer our guest throw away slippers he he.. but yes I wear different shoes for outside most of the time, now trying to get the rest of the family to obey my rules is another story.

chrissycat21
10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Sometimes, only if I'm going back outside soon and the shoes aren't dirty!:p

Amber
10-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes. Shoes are aloud in the house, unless there muddy or something.

But usually they come off anyways.

If I'm ever at a friends home/relatives I always ask if they want me to take my shoes on or off, because I'm never too sure how they run things.

Kfamr
10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Yes.
If a guest wants to take theirs off, or keep them on, it's their choice. :) The only time I take my shoes off right away is if they're muddy/sandy.
We clean our carpets often, so we don't have to worry about them being "disgusting"
We also have rugs at our doors so we wipe our feet before entering, which those rugs are cleaned as well.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
I *try* not to! I also encourage other people in the house not to wear their shoes in the house, lol, I'm such a neat freak!:p

jenfer
10-07-2004, 12:44 AM
i actually have a sign by the door asking people to take off their shoes. :)

BCBlondie
10-07-2004, 01:02 AM
It depends.

Sometimes I take my shoes off.
Other times, I'm too lazy to take them off. (like now for example :p )

Rachel
10-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Logan
That's me, too, Jen!!! :) I can't get them off my feet fast enough, thus they are spread out all over this house!!! :o

This is me too. If I ever complain about something my husband leaves laying around, he can always bring up *the shoes* in retaliation. I wear these Okabashi sandals which are easy to slip on and off. I bought them at the grocery store for about $10 a pair and they are so comfortable. I have about five pair, and it seems that each door in and out of our house has a a pair of these nearby.

slleipnir
10-07-2004, 08:22 AM
At my dads, it doesn't really matter but usually we take our shoes off unless there is some reason for it (but it's no big deal to wear shoes in the house - we just don't do it)
At my moms, you need to take your shoes off. She hates ppl walking on her floors with shoes on.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-07-2004, 10:17 AM
No shoes in my house. I am OCD when it comes to pretty much anything especially cleaning. Our close friends know how I am and will remove their shoes when they come over. If it is someone new to our house, I don't ask them to take their shoes off but go into a cleaning frenzy when they leave!

trayi52
10-07-2004, 10:35 AM
No shoes for me, though my husband wears his shoes. I just wear something sometimes that is easy to slip on and off. Just habit I guess, not that it is going to hurt my floors or anything like that. I just want my floors to be clean if I am going to be barefoot, I can't stand to have dirt on my feet!

Willie:)

Toby's my baby
10-07-2004, 12:19 PM
No, i don't wear shoes in the house... I love walking around in my socks:p