PDA

View Full Version : Should you bath kittens?????

mina'smomma
10-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Should I be giving Mina bath's? If so what should I use? She is 7 weeks old this Friday

:confused:

aly
10-05-2004, 01:01 PM
If you do give her a bath, use something mild like Johnson's baby shampoo or Dawn dish soap. And be sure that you dry her well. You can put a towel in the dryer before you use it so it will be warm. Cuddle her in towels until she's bone dry so she doesn't get sick.

That said, I don't think it is absolutely necessary to bathe her right now. If you want her to be used to baths, I'd wait a few more weeks until she's just a tad older before you start.

I don't bathe my cats. They are all young and healthy and stay clean. They're also indoor only. I tried to give Shiloh a bath a few times and I'm surprised I didn't lose a limb in that process :eek: The vet told me I didn't have to do it anymore though. I imagine I'll have a real problem on my hands if any of them ever do need a bath :eek:

rg_girlca
10-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Does your kitten have fleas? Is this why you want to give it a bath at 7 weeks old?

lexibent
10-05-2004, 07:22 PM
If the kitten doesn't have fleas and is able to clean itself, I wouldn't give it a bath. If you need to clean it, take a wet washcloth and wipe the kitty clean that way. I would think that such a young kitten would run the risk of catching a cold if it were bathed.

I'm no expert, so this is just based on my own experience. My cat, Bentley, fell in the toilet (he's a clutz!) when he was 8 weeks old and ended up getting sick and dehydrated. I'd say it's just not worth the risk. Cats are great at keeping themselves clean. That's why they're the best pets! (IMHO) :)

christa
10-05-2004, 07:55 PM
If you do, warm the towels in the dryer and immediately wrap them up . . . kittens that small are more suseptible to hypothermia.

Barbara
10-06-2004, 08:52 AM
First thing: no I don't think it's a good idea. If for some reason you have to , then all the above are good recommendations ;)

catcrazylady
10-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I only bathed the new babies because of fleas. As soon as they were healthy enough to be treated with Advantage there was no need anymore. Unless they really get into something nasty then no I don't ever bathe mine.

Logan
10-06-2004, 09:08 AM
The only bath that our 15 year old Mimi ever had was when she was a kitten. A FEISTY kitten, for sure! But she was covered with fleas and it had to be done. This was before there was Frontline or Advantage to control those fleas. We have never attempted that again!!! :)

catmandu
10-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I dont think,that unless she,is very dirty,I wold bathe her,at all,as Little Kittens,are very vulnerable,to drafts!