PDA

View Full Version : Lump on Icarus

wolfsoul
10-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Icarus is off to the vet today. I found a lump on him a few days ago, and it has gotten bigger since. It is on his scrotum. It is shaped oddly -- it is long and thin with a lump at the end of it. One end is attached to his anus. I'm really hoping that there is a better explanation than it being a tumor. And if it is a tumor, it had better be benign. I talked to the VOA about it, and she told me that it is a possibilty that neutering him could remove the entire thing. I hope so. But he is 2 years and three months old...I know for dogs that there is no difference in the deaths of older dogs vs younger ones due to anesthesia, but I hear that older rats can have a hard time handling the anesthetic. If it is a tumor that needs to be removed, should I risk it? I think I should, because the chances of him living with a tumor covering his anus aren't that great, if you know what I mean. She told me that when the vet determines what it is, I can have it removed or have him neutered at a later date; I think that Thursday will be open for him to have surgery.

I have lost three pets in the last four months. Losing Icarus would absolutely kill me. Please wish him luck at the vet today, and pray that his surgery will go well. I'm really scared.

cloverfdx
10-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Oh Jordan i am sorry to hear about Icarus' lump, Prayers are on the way for the little guy. Please keep us updated.

Queen of Poop
10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
So very sorry for your previous losses. Prayers and loads of positive thoughts that this 'growth' is nothing to worry about and can be removed cleanly and quickly.

micki76
10-05-2004, 01:14 PM
I know how scared you are, and I hope everything will be ok with Icarus.

Please keep us updated on what the vet says, Jordan.

lv4dogs
10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Wishing only the best for you's!

wolfsoul
10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, Icarus went to the vet yesterday, and the vet said that it is most likely a tumor. He is optimistic, but is nervous because of the tumor being attached to Icarus's anus -- he said that that is a very difficult area to delve into because it could cause alot of elimination problems for poor Icarus, not to mention any surgical procedure involving the anus can be fairly hard to perform. But he said that I shouldn't worry too much, and that it should go well as long as Icarus's body doesn't react badly to the anesthetic. I told him to use Isoflurane, and he assured me that he will.

Icarus goes in for surgery next Wednesday. I have to bring him there in the morning, and then leave him there all day! He says that they have to moniter him for several hours after the surgery. I'm going to be so distracted all day at school. The vet told me that the tumor removal should only take 15 or 20 minutes, so I will stay for the duration of the surgery and see how it goes.

And you know what really ANGERS me? That if Icarus is killed, I STILL have to pay for the entire thing! :mad: You'd think that losing your pet is bad enough without having to pay for his death while you're at it.

Please keep praying!

pitc9
10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Praying for you and Icarus that all goes well!

GoldenRetrLuver
10-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Poor Icarus. :( I hope he'll be okay when he has the surgery.. I'll keep him in my thoughts!! Keep us updated!

wolfsoul
10-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone!

Lastnight I was watching TV, and I flicked to a channel that had some vet show, and this boxer was being operated on, and at the last second she just died. I'm not religious, but I always get freaked out when something could be considered a "sign." But I also had a dream that the vet called me while I was at school and told me that Icarus was just fine. Hopefully it'll come true.

tikeyas_mom
10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
he should be alright jordan. but i keep him in my thoughts

wolfsoul
10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.petpics.net/memory/

K9soul
10-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Prayers on the way for your sweet Icarus.

slick
10-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Oh Jordan, I'm so sorry but I just saw this now. Prayers on the way for sweet Icarus. I'll light a candle for him.

ComedyDevil
10-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Oh gosh, I'm praying for him, I hope he'll be ok. Trust me, I know how you feel. Get well soon Icarus! I lit a candle for him :) Update as soon as you can, Jordan :)

wolfsoul
10-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

The tumor is getting bigger. :( When I first noticed it, you couldn't see it, only feel it. Now you can see it very clearly. It's very red too. :( It doesn't seem to hurt or bother him though. I wish that Wednesday would get here so I could just get it removed!

I have another problem though...Icarus isn't eating. He's only eating his parsley. The tumor is going to suck all of the nutrients out of his body. Because he isn't eating, I don't know how the anesthetic will affect him. I'm going to ask the vet to sedate him and try some local anesthetic on the scalpel instead.

wolfsoul
10-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm getting two new baby ratties. :) It's too bad I couldn't get them a coupel weeks ago. It would have been nice to introduce them when Icarus is too drugged up to care LOL.

trayi52
10-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Sending you and Icarus prayers and good thoughts, Jordan.

Willie:)

kingrattus
10-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Jordan ur back!!!

Hope ur baby boy is ok. U said his operation is on wed, its now fri. I hope ur silence isn't a bad thing

wolfsoul
10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. :)

It's now Tuesday...one more day until the operation... :eek: I'm very nervous. I'm so sad that I have tp leave him there all day. The vet will probably think I'm weird when I show up with a box of all of Icarus's things. I want my baby to be comfortable lol.

I went out yesterday to see if I could get a couple babies for Icarus, but all the rats that I wanted were girls. Figures. :rolleyes: