PDA

View Full Version : Cat just had surgery - can I bath her or wait?

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 09:29 AM
I just brought my new cat home and she has just gotten fixed yesterday. Should I bath her or wait till they take the stiches out in ten days? Thank you, Debbie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-05-2004, 10:28 AM
I would wait. I know that when people have surgery they're not supposed to get their stitches wet (why, I don't know, but that's what the doctors say), so just hold off for a bit. Also, any particular reason you'd be giving her a bath? Just curious because most cats don't need baths, and as a matter of fact, if you bathe them too often you can dry out their skin. Kitties are usually pretty good about keeping themselves clean.

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 11:02 AM
No particular reason really. I did a search here and it seems most people do give them a bath at some point and wasn't sure if I should? The vet said she is around 2-1/2 years old and she was a stray when she was picked up - trapped by a homeowner who said the cats were peeing on his lawn chairs. She was very pregnant and dropped her kittens at the animal control the next day. I know she had to be real hungry with the kittens and that was why he was able to trap her - she is so friendly. She seems real clean though so I wasn't sure. Yesterday I saw her scratch a few times. Not much and thought if it wasn't fleas then maybe she just needed a bath. I honestly dont' know about cats so am totally confused on what to do. Debbie

boscibo
10-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't bathe my cats and they are clean - they smell good, and we don't have a flea problem (indoor cats) here. The only time I'd ever bathe them is a) they had fleas, b) they were visibly dirty, or c) they smelled bad.

catnapper
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Aww... poor little girl has been through a lot lately.

I would wait also. Baths are stressful for some cats. you don't want to add stress to her while she is recovering from surgery.

I think the last time I bathed Allen was two, maybe three years ago. I gave him a partial bath few months ago when he ahd a "situation" on the back end ;) Pouncer usually gets bathed more often because he has a habit of rolling in dirty kitty litter and walks away smelling rather gross. Cats are generally very clean and tidy animals and groom themselves well enough to not need baths.

ramanth
10-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd call Animal Control. They may of given her a bath and flea medication before you adopted her.

If not, and if you really think she's dirty (obvious signs of dirt), then give her a bath AFTER her incision heals and the stiches are taken out. :)

My kitties scratch now and then and they don't have fleas. :)

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Thank you for saying that about the scratching sometimes but not for fleas. That releaves my mind. My hubby and I will check for fleas tonight and look her over real good. Last night we were very gentle with her and just wanted her to settle in. We picked her up around 6pm so she only had a few hours to get used to the idea of living in our house and with us. OK - she doesn't smell bad at all and my hands don't feel dirty when I pet her so I wont bath her. That is a chore I was not looking forward too. :) Thanks again, Debbie

catlady1945
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Our 14 year old and 15 year old cats have been bathed once (fleas, you know) and this is an experience I would not care to repeat. Our youngest, age 9, has never been bathed - except for her hind-end when she had an accident at the vet's.

Cinder & Smoke
10-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by cruisetime

... Last night we were very gentle with her and
just wanted her to settle in.

... she only had a few hours to get used to the idea of
living in our house and with us.

I think your own words sum up how I'd handle the :eek: "BATH" Question!

You really do want her to "settle in" - and to
learn to TRUST you 2-Leggers -

Kats aren't really All That "FOND" of an :eek: BATH -

subjecting her to a "BATH" is NOT the way to move yourselves up
to the TOP of her Popular People List! :p

I think I'd rather give Boots, da Kat, a KLAW KLIP long before
I'd offer him a BATH!

I'm pretty sure that New Kat would say:

BATH??? :eek:
NO Thanks; I'll *pass*!
But THANKS fur askin!
Let's jest *KUDDLE* fur a while! ;)

/s/ Phred

catmandu
10-06-2004, 10:16 AM
i certainly would wait,and unless a Cat,is raelly dirty,or had fleas,or bad tangles,they really dont need,to be bathed!At least,thats what the Vet,tells me!!

cruisetime
10-06-2004, 10:26 AM
We looked her over last night and she doesn't seem to have fleas and she is really short hair and no tangles. Looked in her ears and she seems fine. She didnt' seem to like this attention from my hubby so glad it was him doing it! :) She doesn't seem to be totally relaxed around us - any quick moves (getting the remote) will make her tense. Of course I'm learning to trust her not to scratch and bite me too so we are in it together! :) Debbie