PDA

View Full Version : Scratching post - can you make one?

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 08:24 AM
I noticed just this morning my new addition decided that the side of my couch was a scratching post. I thought we'd leave her in the spare bathroom and vanity area while at work today but hubby wanted to let her have the whole house. SOOOO I'm not sure what we will have left of the couch.... :) (it's old anyway! haha) But can you make scratching posts or is it best to buy them? Walmart only had real short ones. I noticed in someone's picture they had a real tall one.. Thank you, Debbie

catmandu
10-05-2004, 08:51 AM
If you are handy,you can get an old borad,and cover,it with cloth,maybe something,that the Cat,knows! Or keep,and eye,out for specials,Petcetera,had one,for 5.88,one time!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I know others here have made their scratching post/cat trees. I think you can get plans online, but not sure where. Hopefully others will chime in and give you some better ideas.

catland
10-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I made one out of scraps of carpet and wood. The cats don't seem to know the difference. You do want to make it tall enough so that they can stretch out when they claw. Also, if you can, rub some catnip into it so the cat gets the idea.

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Catland, How do ou get the carpet to attach to the wood? Do you glue it, staple it? I was thinking of the carpet on the rolls at Home Dept/Lowes - what carpet do you suggest? Thank you both - I will be looking at the net too for ideas. :) Debbie

emily_the_spoiled
10-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi Debbie,

Here is a website that has some plans and directions for building a variety of scratching posts. Some are more complex then others, but I guess it depends on how handy you are (and what you have laying around the house).

http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html

BTW, welcome to PT

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Emily - what a great site! So many ideas! Yesterday as our new kitty was sleeping in my arms and then on my hubby's he looked over and smiled and said this is going to be one spoilt kitty! Well after 2 years of being a stray - not sure she was a stray all that time - she deserves to be spoilt! :) :) Debbie

jazzcat
10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
My dad built me the cat tree that they show on that amby.com site as a Christmas gift. I covered the perches with carpet. I just stapled it on. Same when I need to recover the scratching post. I just tear the old carpet off and staple the new on.

cruisetime
10-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Jazzcat - thank you - I was wondering about stapling it. It would easier than glue I think adn I was thinking the glue wouldn't hold. :) Debbie

catfamily
10-05-2004, 03:44 PM
My husband said to get a 4 by 4 tall piece of wood,maybe 3 or 4 feet tall?
And get plywood about 1 half inch thick for the stand about 2 feet squared.Then screw those 2 together and get scrap rug and fold around the tall 4 by 4 and screw some screws in the rug to the wood.Screws are sturdier.:D

jazzcat
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I guess I should clarify that we used the bigger staples that my husband uses with a staple gun. If you don't have that then I bet the screws would be better.

catfamily
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Yeah, I guess I should clarify that we used the bigger staples that my husband uses with a staple gun. If you don't have that then I bet the screws would be better.
Oops... I meant my husband said to say that screws were sturdier than nails.My fault.I knew you meant a staple gun.Those are always nice and sturdy too.:D

sirrahbed
10-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Either Queenscoopalot or Jan had mentioned getting half landscape timbers and then wrapping them in sisal after stuffing the knotholes with catnip - best as I recall. It sounded like a very easy idea!! I am not sure how the base is done - or maybe it lays flat or just leans - not sure on that part....are you two reading reading?????:D