PDA

View Full Version : Need Information and Advice!!!

JRM
10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I need advice and information from anyone that has any experience with FIP. Some of you may remember me posting pictures of my new baby Wallace a while back. I took him in to the vet last night because he just wasn't acting right. He was running a slight fever and was lethargic. The vet found fluid in his abdomen and we are now waiting for test result to find out if it's FIP. I'm in complete shock. He's just a baby! I've only had him 5 months! I don't know what to do, I'm in a fog. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it over once they start showing symptoms, or can they be treated or maintained for any length of time? Please, any help you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=191129723&photoID=191130101&security=vzUupj

This is Wallace with his big brother Winston

Lacey
10-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! FIP is such a horrible horrible disease! I lost one of my babies to it several months ago. Sadly, it is one of those diseases for which there is no cure. From what I know of this disease, once they start showing symptoms, the kitty generally has anywhere from a few weeks to a few months left. :( :( FIP is also a difficult disease to diagnose, but the fluid in the abdomen is usually a dead give-away. I think there are treatments to slow the disease, but nothing to stop it. You'll want to keep Wallace isolated from Winston, and be sure to get Winston tested to. But even if Wallace does have FIP and Winston comes up positive also, it's not a sure thing that Winston will get FIP. It just means that he's been exposed. The disease could manifest in a few months, a few years, or never.

I'll be saying a prayer for you all! PM me if you need someone to talk to!

catmandu
10-05-2004, 08:58 AM
You could email,Dale at [email protected],as she knows,a lot more about it,as she is fostering Karinas Babies,as they might,have FIP too! Prayers,are coming,for your Companions!