PDA

View Full Version : Sake question...

Tonya
10-04-2004, 11:00 PM
We've got a few good bottles of sake from Japan. (Sounds like an oxymoron to me.) I think Sake is disgusting, but there must be a reason why it is popular. My husband says the Japanese generally drink it straight and warm but foreigners mix it on ice with water or tea.

I'm going to serve it at my Halloween party and I don't have much room for taste testing since I am pregnant. How all can Sake be served and what taste the best?

Sirrahsim
10-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey:) I don't know the answer to your question, but I live in Japan so I will ask around and find out what the general opinion is:)

Pitties are my life
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
What is Sake?

Sirrahsim
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
a Japanese liquor

slick
10-04-2004, 11:50 PM
I prefer it warmed however I don't like by itself. I only drink it when I'm having sushi. There is something about the combination of warm Sake, wasabi, pickled ginger and a sashimi that make me feel good all over. :)

guster girl
10-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm dating an asian guy (philippino) and he loves it. I'll have to ask him how he prefers it and if he knows of a couple of ways to serve it. :)

Tonya
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Pitties are my life
What is Sake?

It is a rice wine, but it is high in alcohol content.

Tonya
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
Hey:) I don't know the answer to your question, but I live in Japan so I will ask around and find out what the general opinion is:)

Thank you! My husband wasn't much of a drinker when he was in Japan, so I don't want to take his word for it. There might be better options!

Tonya
10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by slick
I prefer it warmed however I don't like by itself. I only drink it when I'm having sushi. There is something about the combination of warm Sake, wasabi, pickled ginger and a sashimi that make me feel good all over. :)

I couldn't even imagine it warmed, it tastes so gross as it is!

Tonya
10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
I'm dating an asian guy (philippino) and he loves it. I'll have to ask him how he prefers it and if he knows of a couple of ways to serve it. :)

Cool, thanks! My stepmom is filipino-chamoro, that's a good family to marry into! They're so family oriented. They'll always be there for you when you need them. :D

catmandu
10-05-2004, 09:43 AM
I has sake,one time,and it isquite good,a Rice Beer,I beleive! I think,that is is lower in sugar,than the Canadian Beers,and might be good,for me!

Samantha Puppy
10-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I don't love it but if I am going to drink it, I prefer it warmed.

Logan
10-05-2004, 10:19 AM
It is like drinking warm kerosene, but with Japanese food, I love it (heated). :) It's great when you have the upper respiratory stuff too!!! :p

guster girl
10-05-2004, 03:54 PM
My friend suggested that if it's an expensive sake, it should be served cold, but, it's either way, really. Whatever is your preference. :)

tatsxxx11
10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
My husband's Japanese so I've been indulging for quite some time now:D Sake is considered a wine; a rice wine. There are countless grades and methods of distillation. Some are meant to be served as aperitiffs, some to be served with food, some as an after dinner drink and others meant for simply sipping. Depending on the type, it may be more or less suitable to be served cold or warmed and some are good served both ways. I recently tried one called "Pearl" which is milky white and very sweet and tasted much like coconut!

Uabassoon
10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
My girlfriend works in a japanese restaraunt, she says that they serve it both warmed and cold, it depends on the sake. Some are ment to be served cold and others warm. She also hates the taste of it, she says it tastes like rubbing alcohol. She also says that sometimes there will be directions on the bottle, like serve at room temperature or serve chilled.

RICHARD
10-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Logan
It is like drinking warm kerosene, but with Japanese food, I love it (heated).

How do you know what warm kerosene tastes like???;)
:eek:

RedHedd
10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
a Japanese liquor Actually it's rice wine; best served warm, from what I remember it tastes like warm kerosene or turpentine :p .... it's been a LONG time since I've had a drink :)