PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your dog??

sammy101
10-04-2004, 08:53 PM
We got Kodie from a local Canine rescue!:D and pained $95 for the adoption fee and that is included with the donation!

GoldenRetrLuver
10-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Both were from breeders.

dogs_4_me
10-04-2004, 09:03 PM
We got Emma from a breeder. Moco came from a puppy mill.:eek:

BCBlondie
10-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Got Sesh from my aunt who got him from the shelter.

Got Miksy from a breeder.

Got Megan and Monica from a BYB. :( (my aunt :mad: )

binka_nugget
10-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Kai came from a breeder about 4 hours away.

Kaedyn came from the Pound (where I volunteer at).

cali
10-04-2004, 09:20 PM
shadow while she is no longer my dog, we found wandering the streets alone as a tiny puppy, she was wearing an old worn, brown leather collar, my naighbor found her, but he had big dogs, and was worried shadow would get hurt, shadow was the size my dads palm at the time. so our naighbor gabe shadow to my dad.

Happy I got from a breeder, while she is an amazing dog, both farmers and sport people, and geneal public swoon over her lol she is a total fluke. the breeder is insane, actaully my mom things the breeder is litterally a psycopath or something(you would have to know her) and if you knew Happys doggy relitives in person you would see what I mean by Happy is a fluke, she is the ONLY pup they takes after Dyna, all the rest take after the sire, who is completely brain dead, and does not have much going for him lol

Misty I got from a cattle ranch in weyburn

Ripley and perky are both from the shelter here.

RubyMutt
10-04-2004, 09:21 PM
The Humane Society :)

Shelteez2
10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Emily came from a BYB. (We didn't know any better at the time).

Clipse came from a good breeder.

wolfie
10-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Cocoa we got from a family that didn't want her anymore. she was free

Daphne we got from the pound - she was free too. ^_^

The best things in life really are free!!!

lute
10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
i got Beanie from a local no-kill cat shelter. they just happen to have a wondeffu pomerainian dumped on them. they probably would have taken him to the local kill-shelter if he hadn't been so loving to the cats at the rescue.:D so they decided to rehome him themselves. now they are a no-kill shelter for cats AND DOGS! all because of Beanie!:D

kingrattus
10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
RB Max came from a pet store for $20.00. If that pet store was still open & was ran by the same people, I'd buy another puppy from them, without thinking twice about it.

The people they got the puppies from were not paid, the puppies were accidental breeding & the owners of the parents would just give them to the pet store. The owners were great loving people. Too bad they died

molucass
10-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Molly:
When she was about 4 weeks old, I found her abandoned on the side of the road.. It had been raining a lot, and when I was going home from school, I saw her laying there in a little ball shaking, so I pulled over and went to see if she was ok... She was cold, wet & scared, so I brought her home with me and at first my mom and dad said "NO way", but after a few days my mom decided she needed to stay with us..

Annie:
The people that had Annie owned both of her purebred (mom was a black pug, dad was a red mini dachshund) parents. When I had originally went to rescue her pregnant half sister, Baby (she is a pug/boxer mix, and was pregnant by a boston terrier), I saw Annie and asked her if she was trying to find a home for her too (she was about 8 weeks old then), and she said no, but that if she ever decided she didnt want her anymore, she would let me know.. Well, about 2 1/2 weeks after Baby's pups were born, she contacted me and asked if I would like to have her, and of course I said yes. We were originally just going to find a home for Annie, but I decided that I couldn't part with her, and she has been here ever since.

Bailee:
Annie is her mom. We didn't know that Annie was in heat (She didn't show any of the traditional signs since it was her first heat) when we were babysitting my moms friends double dapple dachshund and he got her pregnant. I didn't know Annie was even pregnant until I saw the puppies moving in her since she didn't gain any weight until about the last week! :eek: I was there when Bailee was born and even had to help her be delivered since she was breech... She was the only girl out of a litter of 6 so we decided to keep her.

RB Felony:
My mom bought him for me for my 19th birthday from a BYB. The people lied to her and said he was a purebred Pit bull. But as it turned out, he definitely wasn't! I didn't care though, he was my baby..... What I wouldn't give to have that sweet big baby back by my side... :(

Cincy'sMom
10-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Sadie came to us from a friend of a friend. He had taken her mom in when she was pregnant and the farmer who had her was going to shoot her cause he didn't like how she was acting :rolleyes: Of course he didn't tell the family that took her in she was pregnant (Sadie was one of her 11 puppies)

Cincy was a free add in the paper. The mom was a mutt, lived out in the country and on her second litter. The mom had already been taken back in the house, and the puppies were left outside to live in a chicken coop.

Spot came from the Humane Society of the Ohio Valley. My parents and I drove 500 miles round trip to rescue him the day after he was to be PTS. ( He was given a last minute 24 hr extension)

Tonya
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
All of the above.

Roxy came from www.norsled.org it's a sled dog rescue.

Dusty came from the pound.

Sarah came from a horrible breeder that they were shutting down.

puppyluvs
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I got Harley & Hailey from or local Pounds
Keeau I got from an Ex neighbor who
was mistreating him :( I prayed really
hard for him ;)

K9karen
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Cody was from a litter of my friend's GR. They thought the pups were purebred, but realized they were part Labbies. He cost $50 but was worth a trillion.

Logan's an SPCA rescue. She was $35 but worth her weight in gold.

shais_mom
10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
My rainbow bridge greyhound, Shaianne, came from the Humane Society.
Keegan came to me when Shaianne died, a friend of mine from work - her dog had sired a litter of GR puppies, and they were getting a free puppy so she offered her to me b/c my dog had passed away.

wolf_Q
10-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Reggie was from a breeder...my dad's co-worker had a schnauzer that had a litter and Reggie was the only one left. They couldn't sell him so they gave him to us for free.

Nebo was from a breeder.

Sydney was also from a breeder, my sister bought her.

My next dog will be a siberian husky from a shelter or rescue. :)

aly
10-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Both Reece and Lolly came from the shelter I volunteer/work at. Reece was there in March and Lolly was there in June of the same year (2001).

Glacier
10-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Muskwa came from a breeder. Earle came from Muskwa--contract had a breeding clause in it for one litter if Muskwa turned out as well as he looked as a puppy. Hoodoo was from that litter as well.

Pingo, Sleet & Hobo all came from other mushers who didn't want them anymore.

Everyone else--all 15 of them--came from the Humane Society Yukon.

senorita02
10-05-2004, 03:30 AM
We got Face from a breeder, whos 2 Rotts had puppys, ( i think it was a 1st time thing)
We got Rita from a breeder who only bred Presa Canarios, and was highly publicized, (but is no longer in business) Drove a total of 24 hours just to get her, she is amazing and im glad we did.

chocolatepuppy
10-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Lacey and Mandy both came from a shelter.

talia22
10-05-2004, 05:55 AM
BARNYARD WE FOUND WANDERING IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE IN THE RAIN WITH NO COLLAR ON.

MUKLUK WAS WANDERING DETROIT WITH AN EMBEDDED COLLAR:(

TAHOE WAS CHAINED OUTSIDE A CONSTRUCTION SITE

AND TALIA WE GOT FROM A BREEDER BEFORE WE KNEW ANY BETTER ABOUT HOW BAD THIS LADY WAS. BUT IM SO GLAD WE DID

Christiansmommy
10-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Dale is from a breeder. We drove to North Carolina to pick him up...

Logan
10-05-2004, 07:06 AM
I voted "other" because ours came to us in a multitude of ways!

Honey and Lilly came as puppies from breeders (back yard breeders, to tell you the truth, before I knew better :o.....I'm glad I didn't know better then because I sure do love those girls).

Zipper came from our local Golden Retriever Rescue group.

And I got Murphy because I got married and she was a part of the deal!! :)

pitc9
10-05-2004, 07:41 AM
I voted Breed Rescue.

We got Sierra from KRPetz/Dogs Hope, German Shepherd Rescues that work together here in Ohio.

When I went to the kill shelter to adopt Buddy, they had already called the rescue to come and get him. When I was there filling out the papers, they told me I would have to go through the rescue. When I found out it was the same rescue, I told the shelter to call them and tell them who was adopted him (Since I had just adopted Sierra through the same rescue not even a year earlier) So they did... and Buddy came home with me that day!!

Samantha Puppy
10-05-2004, 07:45 AM
My neighbor rescued Samantha and her puppy sister from along side a busy highway when they were 6 weeks old. They'd just been dumped there and left to die. She brought them home and brought them over to my parent's house to see if we knew anyone who wanted a puppy. Samantha looked up, I looked down, our eyes locked and the rest is history.

LorraineO
10-05-2004, 07:57 AM
I said other because LucyBelle was a breeder... but Merlin was a rescue from the SPCA

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Blaze was from a Border collie breeder...Bandit, my deceased dog; well, we got him from my aunt and uncle, and he was a mostly pure-bred BC; and I got Domino, my American Satin guinea pig from a breeder also. :)

Tina
10-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Ginger came from a breeder and I got Reggie from a rescue group.:)

PJ's Mom
10-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Peej came from a breeder and Bailey is a shelter rescue. :)

KYS
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Sheba and Rocky I got from breeders.
Sheba is a CA girl and Rocky came from
Alaska. :)

Canis Amicus
10-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Hello dear PT friends!

I got Rex from a drug junkie who did not want him anymore.

Rosana
and Rex (GSD, 3yo)

Jods
10-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Mercedes:
In the paper there was purebred danes for sale no papers... So I thought what the heck they are probably not purebred but I'll go look. I saw the mom and dad and tons of puppies and they were purebread... So I paid the $500 and reserved my baby and went to pick her up a few weeks later...

Gomer:
We were looking for a male golden, but my mom was trying to make it difficult said she wanted a purebred and would only pay $200. Well we were like whatever your not gonna find a golden for that around here... So one day we were at the petshop and there was a notice on the board male golden retrievers $200 and my mom had exactly 200$ in her wallet she was planning to put in the bank, but we didn't deposit it we went and got Gomer instead.

both my dogs are worth that and so much more!!

cloverfdx
10-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Clover was $20 out of the news paper.

Elvis was a freebie :eek: his breeder is a friend of ours and gave him to me, although i was more than willing to pay the $500 ;).

Penny was freebie, a friend of my Mums was given a Jack russell Terrier and was told she had been spayed but she hadn't and 8 weeks later Penny and her 3 siblings came along and the rest is history.

Theodore is a pet shop pup :(. (Never will do that again)

lovemyshiba
10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
A little bit of everything, lol:

Kito --we got him from shiba breeders, however they weren't his breeders, they were just trying to sell him for someone else, a woman who was going to show him, but fell ill and had to rehome him and his sister

Abbey --we got her from Nittany Beagle Rescue, she had been transported here from a shelter in Ohio

Riley --I did get him at the SPCA, but he wasn't adopted through them. I met a woman in the parking lot who was going to surrender him, and I took him before she could bring him in.

Jada --we did adopt her from the SPCA

ramanth
10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Kia came from the Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing, MI.

Here's her "mug shot" from their website. :D
http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/kiamisc/Kia.jpg

BitsyNaceyDog
10-05-2004, 03:54 PM
We got Bitsy from a breeder.
Charlie was given to us by a lady who couldn't keep him
Buster was rescued from an abusive home
and Nacey was a dog we were fostering and found a home, but that didn't work out so she came back and we kept her.

Pam
10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I voted "Breeder" because I got 5 out of the 6 poodles I have had from breeders. Ripley was my only rescue, but if I ever get another dog it will be a rescue. He is as devoted to me as if I had him from birth and such a sweetheart. :)

chrissycat21
10-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Snowy came from a family who's dogs had puppies. The mom is spayed and the dad in nuetered now. She goes back there to visit her sister when we go on vacation,.

Kfamr
10-05-2004, 05:31 PM
All three of them came from the shelters.
Kiara and Nala came from the Humane Society of Pinellas & Simba came from the St. Petersburg SPCA.

I would NOT have it any other way.

MariaM
10-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Major came from the side of the road:( Somebody dumped 6 lab cross puppies and their dad (more than likely) on the side of the road about 30-40 minutes from us. A farm near there took them into their barn for a few days. We went to go look at them and my mom ended up falling in love with Major.
(I fell in love with them all!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/mm.jpg

Amber
10-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Katie came from a pet store

Elvis came from a breeder

GiantSchnauzer
10-05-2004, 06:54 PM
I got Zoey, my Giant Schnauzer, from a breeder in Canada(near Toronto).

ComedyDevil
10-05-2004, 07:00 PM
We adopted Toby from the shelter when he was 8 months old.

Squid came from a farmer who didn't want him because he was the runt of the litter.

Ollie was part of an unexpected litter of pups, my moms friend's dog was pregnant but the owner didn't know. Her dog has now been spayed.

:)

daisyshuman8
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Actually, I got Daisy from neither a breeder nor a shelter. She belonged to my best friend before I had her. My friend and her family had to move from their house to an apartment and could not bring Daisy with her. At the time, my friend's sister was 6 and loved Daisy so much and cried at the fact that they had to give her away. So my friend asked me if we would like to have her for free. I asked my dad, who at first was hesitant about having another dog (we had another beagle in the past who chewed up everything and peed on my mom's flowers) but he finally gave in.

That was about 7.5 years ago (we got Daisy when she was 7 months) and believe me, she's the best thing that ever happened to our family. She's one of us and definitely has her forever home.

lute
03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
i just got Wolfie from a breeder friend.

cali
03-08-2005, 05:59 PM
for some reason my post does not include Blair lol he is from the same breeder as Happy and was a freebie because the breeder thought he would benafit from a sport home and he was under shot his head was the wronge shape, his ears were too big etc.. and she did not want him sent out as a rep. of what they breed, so he was given to us. oddly enugh conformation wise he turned out the best in the whole litter lol he is also the only pup that is succeeding in anything.

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
i got Tikeya from a breeder..

My parents got Oscar from a breeder, and I got Baby from a friend.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Tango came from a friend of ours. Tia is Rb Jesse's daughter (who was pregnant when we got her.)

cocker_luva
03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
we got Jesse from a breeder.

Suki Wingy
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
I was not aware of so many people getting dogs from BYBs but I'm really glad you all know now! I am really licky as to have been raised NEVER EVER breed a dog unless in's a conformation champion (ch.) as well as a temperment to match the breed description. Also that dogs should be altered before their first heat.
NiƱo is from here.
Layla was from here and went back here
http://www.anticruelty.org/
Clark was from a private Great Dane/ Pit Bull rescuer in Indianna. If we could find her (I've searched!)I could know where Clark is now and maybe even meet him again, full grown!

Vette
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I was looking for a female Pom puppy and instead stumbled upon an add for a 2 an a 1/2 year old male Toy Poodle up for sale in the classified adds that i found on the Internet,, because his owner was a moving to place that doesnt allow dogs. i went and met him and feel in love with the little fuzhead. :D

Chica
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
I GOT CHICA FROM A BREEDER IN L.A. :) WHEN I SAW HER I WANTED HER. ;)

bckrazy
03-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Tonya

Roxy came from www.norsled.org it's a sled dog rescue.

aww, I love NorSled! Our nieghbors, who are awesome people, got their 8 month-old Sibe puppy from that rescue :) he is of course a big handful like any pup, but he is gorgeous and such a sweetie! NorSled is the best ^_^ I really wanted to get a Sibe from them before I found Gonzy.

oh, and Gonzo came from a cattle ranch in Elk Grove, Ca. He was this dirty, scrawny little adolescent and they were basically kicking him out... just letting him roam around the property. He ran up to me and gave me tons of kisses and he was all wiggly! :D of course I had to take him home. I found out about him from our family friend from BCRNC, they had recieved two other dogs from the same dumb people. Gonzo apparently didn't have a hard enough mouth, or enough drive, or something... :rolleyes:. He was free.

2crazypuppies4me
03-09-2005, 08:58 AM
I got Lilly from a paper article (breeder) and Maggie from the Westmoreland shelter. http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3043956&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=422f0e8b34727a84-app3&display=&preview=1&row=200&tmpl=petlistx.html&stat=

http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/VA25/VA25.3043956-1-pn.jpg

tricollie4me
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
We found our pup through Petfinder -- adopted her through a rescue organization a few hours from our home.

http://iblinkedyougrew.typepad.com/photos/everywhere_a_pup_pup/dsc03095_1.JPG

Now I check Petfinder and our local shelters/rescues daily -- my eyes have been opened up to all the sweet dogs and cats that need good homes!

IRescue452
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Pepper came from a breeder who I'm sure ran a puppy mill, but we didn't know what a puppy mill was 14 years ago. Autumn came from mill.

LeahMM
03-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Niki came from the humane society.
Bozy came from the ARPH.
Cody came from a breeder.
Buddy came from a high kill shelter.

Pit Chick
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
I found Ginger as an emaciated puppy at a auto shop in the middle of a ghetto. She was just hanging out in the parking lot when we pulled up and everyone would just ignor her and walk on by. I called to her and she ran up to me with her floppy feet and huge ears. I had no idea what she was until my vet told me she was a Pit Bull. She is the reason I've tried to learn so much about the breed and dedicated my time to rescue them.

My other female Gravity was running scared for her life down the street outside my neighborhood. I was already late for work when I tried to stop and get her, but she wouldn't get in my car because she was so scared. My boyfriend had mentioned wanting a black and white Pit Bull, so I called him when I got to work and told him to pick up his new dog off the side of the road. Of course he went and rescued her. She's not very friendly with strangers (fear aggressive) but she is a big baby to us.

My "white boy" Hydro (a Pit Bull) was also running down the street outside my neighborhood, only he was trotting along on a mission. So we pulled up to the curb and opened the door and he didn't think twice about jumping in and pushing me out of my seat :rolleyes: The fur around his neck was gray and dirty from having what I think was a chain around it at one point. He has a very sassy mouth and will tell you off in an instant, especially if he thinks you are mad at him. It was a mutual decision between me and my boyfriend to keep this one too.

melandchico
03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
We got Goliath from my husbands best friend's girlfriend. Her dog was a Labrador with some St. Bernard, she was 10 months old and the Doberman next door broke his lead and she got pregnant and had 13 puppies. 2 were still born, but the rest were healthy. Our Goliath was the first one born and the biggest! When they were 8 weeks old, my husbands best friend drove from Montreal to North of Toronto to bring him to us. His girlfriend kept 2 of the puppies the owners of the father kept 1 of the puppies and the rest went to friends and family. Goliath was an accident but I wouldn't trade my beautiful baby for anything!