PDA

View Full Version : Medical help for cat in Baltimore, MD

Logan
12-11-2001, 07:09 AM
One of the members of the Siamese Cat board, who lives in Baltimore, MD, posted a long story yesterday about an elderly woman who has been coming into her office on daily basis. Turns out that yesterday, the woman said that she had been evicted from her apartment, and she needed to get her cat. So this lady, Xena, drove the woman to her apartment and outside the door, she found a couple of boxes stuffed with personal belongings, and on top was Toby, the lady's cat. Xena says that Toby has a crusty nose, and needs some medical attention. She has found temporary shelter for the lady, and is getting her the medical attention that she needs with the help of the Salvation Army. What she needs now is some help for the cat. She wants to be able to have him treated and probably boarded until she can get this lady, Pam, settled in a new apartment. She said Pam is very attached to Toby and would like to reunite them as soon as possible. Her problem is money. Does anyone know of any low cost vet care in that area? Or do you have suggestions as to what she can do?

Answer me here, if you don't mind. I didn't post the link of the topic because last time I did, Karen said it was too long, and I don't know how to shorten it. The community can be found here: http://communities.msn.com/SiameseCatsandtheirpeople/

Then go to "Messages" and you can read it under the topic "Homeless Woman and her cat in my office".

Thanks for any help you can offer up.
Logan

Phred sez: Gosh, Logan ~ it's not like the Head Bunnie *yelled* at ya! ;)
Here's the direct link to the MSN BBS topic that Miz Logan described above:

Tail of Toby & His Mom... (http://communities.msn.com/SiameseCatsandtheirpeople/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=23270&LastModified=4675350539495737840)

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Phred ]

cr7clark
12-11-2001, 08:45 AM
Baltimore is a spread-out city...do you have an address or phone # for the lady in question? I live reasonably close, perhaps I can get in touch with her and find some help. My vet is quite reasonable in costs and perhaps I can find a temporary home for Toby so she won't have to pay a boarding bill. Please let me know if anyone else has offered to help as well.
Bless you for your caring thoughts!

cr7clark
12-11-2001, 08:48 AM
Baltimore is a spread-out city...do you have an address or phone # for the lady in question? I live reasonably close, perhaps I can get in touch with her and find some help. My vet is quite reasonable in costs and perhaps I can find a temporary home for Toby so she won't have to pay a boarding bill. Please let me know if anyone else has offered to help as well.
Bless you for your caring thoughts!

Logan
12-11-2001, 03:22 PM
BosMom,
I just emailed you with the phone number for the lady who is trying to help out. I hope you have some good suggestions for her. I also enlisted the help of another lady, who is a pet lover, who lives in the area, so you will see two addresses on the email, plus I copied Xena, so you could have her email address too.
This is such a sad story. But thank you for even trying to help out.
Logan

zippy-kat
12-11-2001, 07:46 PM
If you guys can't work something out, I have an aunt that lives in TawnyTown, MD. I have NO IDEA how close that is to Baltimore but I think it's fairly close. While she probably wouldn't be able to help out with the vet bills, she is an avid animal lover and I'm sure would provide a more than warm and loving home for the cat until he can be reunited with his owner.

Logan
12-11-2001, 08:39 PM
Oh, Tonya, I just know that pet love runs rampantly through your family!!! :D :D Thank you and we will certainly let you know if we need the assistance. Between BosMom and my friend, Missy, plus some good leads through www.muttcats.com (http://www.muttcats.com) I am so hopeful that Toby will be taken care of and reunited with his Pam very soon! :)

Phred
12-11-2001, 09:04 PM
If you missed it above; here's the direct link to the MSN BBS Topic about Toby and his Mom:

Tail of Toby & His Mom... (http://communities.msn.com/SiameseCatsandtheirpeople/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=23270&LastModified=4675350539495737840)

It will be a wonderful Holiday Tail if Mom and Toby can find a good Home for the Holidays. Let's all cross some Fingers and Paws and Pray that it happens :).

Logan
12-11-2001, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Phred, for the speedy link!! We're certainly doing everything possible to help them! These situations make those of us who are so far away feel very helpless, don't they??? I appreciate the interest that you guys have shown and I'll for sure keep you up to date on all I learn.

Thanks again!! :)

cr7clark
12-12-2001, 07:41 AM
Zippy-Kat, Taneytown is a bit farther away from Baltimore than I am, but it's nice to know that Toby has a place to go if needed. My husband is originally from New Mexico, and I've visited Las Cruces one time and thought it was the loveliest place I'd seen in some time (remember, this was my first visit to high desert country!). Especially the sunsets!!! The entire mountain range looked violet-hued while the lights of Las Cruces twinkled in the valley....I can still see the sight in my mind's eye. Does your aunt have E-mail? I think it would be nice to develop a network of pet lovers and Pet Talkers here in Maryland. I think lbaker lives in Kensington, which isn't far from Washington DC and Silver Spring MD.

zippy-kat
12-12-2001, 10:12 AM
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/AT/2F/JB/nS72586.jpg

Our sunsets are hard to beat! I took this picture from my bedroom window. If I could have the desert weather & sunsets but the trees and mountains from back east (I'm orginally from WV), I'd be a happy camper!

My aunt doesn't have email. :( I wish she did. She is an AMAZING lady! She has 16 cats (that was the last count) but feeds about 30. She has three with FIV that she keeps in her basement (not the drab place you might expect--it's quite warm and cozy from what I've heard) of the other 13, there are 2-3 house cats and the rest live in a 'cat house' right behind her house. (It's a building with enclosed yard). She also has 2 dogs that she rescued. Plus there's the duck that really belongs to the neighbors up the road, but has taken up residence at Aunt Nancy's house. There's Boo-Boo the mouse that she rescued from the woodshed and Tweety the cockatiel she rescued from who knows where! lol Oh and a 3 legged turtle! All of her animals are well taken care of.

Aunt Nancy is recovering from breast cancer. The doctors believe they got it all but she recently found a rash in that area. We are hoping & praying that it is nothing more than a simple rash. Likewise, her husband had(!) a mysterious illness. The doctors at JohnHopkins had no idea what was wrong with him. I tell you, this lady has INCREDIBLE faith...she knew it was going to be ok from day one. She said things would get worse before they got better but they would get better--and they did! Her husband is now back at work and on light duty--a few months ago the doctors thought he was on his deathbed.

Aunt Nancy has a HUGE heart and can't turn down an animal. She would really, really enjoy this board if she had a computer and I-net.

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

cr7clark
12-12-2001, 11:23 AM
Wow! Aunt Nancy is truly amazing, with a heart the size of the Grand Canyon! Thanks for sharing with us about her love and faith and generosity. Hearing such stories renews ones' faith in people in general.
I'm sorry your aunt doesn't have E-mail....when you talk to her again please tell her that many folks on Pet Talk think she's a super person.
As for Toby.....Xena and I are working on a possible solution to Toby's future, so keep him and us in your prayers. Xena is taking Toby to the vet today or tomorrow, so I should be hearing back from her about Toby's health. She said that he is becoming more affectionate, is grooming himself and is starting to look more like a sweet housecat than a shriveled stray. Toby's owner Pam is another issue....she has multiple health problems and goes from one homeless shelter to another, so it doesn't look as if Pam can keep Toby unless her mental state improves miraculously. We'll have to see, but even when Pam had an apartment she didn't take the best care of Toby. Xena and I think this situation is due to Pam's illness and not any uncaring attitude on her part.
Until Toby finds a permamnent home, Xena is keeping him in a back room at her place of work. I think it would be a nice thing if those of us here at Pet Talk could send her a thank you message or E-card to let her know how much we appreciate her efforts. Logan, you need to get pats on the back as well for bringing this all to our attention, and Zippy-Kat as well.
Xena's E-mail is:
[email protected]
I've encouraged her to become a Pet Talker, she said she'd check into it. Xena has two dogs (rescued as strays) two cats (also rescued as strays) a bird and a hamster, I think so she'd be perfect for Pet Talk! :)

Logan
12-12-2001, 11:39 AM
BosMom, you have gone above and beyond for Toby and Xena. I would give you the biggest hug if I were close enough to do it. Thank you, thank you for jumping in there to help this boy out. I think you and Xena are two of God's angels, giving this boy a chance at a good, comfortable and healthy life. I will continue to say a prayer for sweet Toby. And wouldn't it be wonderful if we could see a picture of him before he gets placed?

And thanks for inviting Xena to Pet Talk. I hope she will join us, and I'll certainly encourage her to do that. I talk about you guys all the time over at the Siamese Cat Lovers Community, and they absolutely adored the post about "Only a Cat" when I shared the link.

I will also pray for Pam, as it sounds as if her life is not a good one, but she certainly has people who are trying to help her.

Zippy Kat, your Aunt Nancy sounds like an angel too!! I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy, just realizing again, how many wonderful people there are in this world.

Big Kudos for all of you. I was just the messenger.

Logan

Cynthia
12-12-2001, 01:15 PM
BosMom, thank you thank you thank you. Stories like Pam's and Toby's just break my heart, and it is so gratifying to learn of someone who will take the time to help those (both human and feline) who need it. Many thanks from me, Stump, and Emmett
Cindy

zippy-kat
12-12-2001, 01:37 PM
I just called Nancy. She is unable to take Toby but she is putting the word out and promised to get in contact with me if she finds anything.

On the other hand, her neighbor just moved and left his/her cats :mad: :mad:
Guess where all 6 or so are at? Yup, next door at her house! She is trying to find them homes as well.

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

sammi
12-12-2001, 02:06 PM
Its really so great how much you guys care for someone you don't even know. I am sure that this lady Pam must feel some relief to know that someone is willing to help her. I can't imagine being in that desperate of a situation and having a mental impairment that makes it hard for her to deal with all this. I will say a prayer for her and Toby.

Logan
12-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Tonya,
Please reassure Aunt Nancy that Toby is in good hands!! Our friend, Xena and BosMom are making sure of that!! She needs one less worry, and Toby is it!! I think our boy will be just fine. :)
Logan

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

cr7clark
12-12-2001, 02:56 PM
Logan, without a messenger no one would have heard of Toby and Pam's plight. The Bible says "inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these, you have done it to Me" and that sounds like you, so please accept some of the credit.
Zippy-Kat, thanks for contacting your Aunt Nancy so quickly! Please tell her that Toby will be taken care of regardless.
Another individual from the Siamese Cat Lovers Community has offered to drum up $$ in order to pay for Toby's vet bill!! So things are progressing, will keep you all posted.
The comments so far have been real sweet, I get teary-eyed every time I read them. What a bunch of super folks you all are!!
Cyber-hugs to Logan, Manxcat, Phred and Sammi :D :D :D

Logan
12-12-2001, 03:24 PM
Just in case Xena didn't get my message, please make sure she knows that I am willing to throw in the $$$$ towards Toby's medical care too. I emailed her yesterday telling her that, but just in case, you let her know that I am out here with some aid too.

Thanks so much, BosMom....You are an angel....

Love,
Logan

tatsxxx11
12-12-2001, 07:21 PM
Logan, BosMom, Toby....Angels all. And bless her poor, sick momma who needs all of our love and prayers. I'm sure she loved Toby dearly and Toby her as well. Toby will be safe and well cared for now. :)

4 feline house
12-12-2001, 11:56 PM
I have only just now been able to read the thread on the other board detailing Pam's history.

This makes me so mad. The reason this woman is living on the streets is because a few decades ago some bleeding heart liberals decided that people who can't make decisions for themselves should be allowed the freedom to make decisions for themselves.

Many people with mental disorders are {i]fine, productive memebers of society so long as they take their medication[/i]. Unfortunately, too many of them look at their medication as a cure as opposed to a treatment. They start to feel okay and then decide they do not need to take it anymore. Years and years ago the courts could compel them to take their medication. Not so anymore, they have the "right" to be sick.

As a result, the streets and homeless shelters are full of "Pams". Being a libertarian, I am all for personal rights, but I am also practical enough to know that not everyone can judge what rights they should and can claim. We don't allow 9 year olds to drive and we shouldn't allow a mentally ill person who cannot function without medication and who becomes a burden on society without medication to decide whether or not they need medication. I certainly am not advocating the courts to decide what medical treatment is warranted for people who can make their own decisions. If I want to stop taking my insulin and die, that's my business. But if my not taking my medication, instead of causing me to die, causes me to lose sight of the fact that I need medication at all, and causes me to not be able to support myself, and causes me to not be able to manage my affairs, I would pray to God that someone would be compelled by law to force me to take it!

Along with deciding that people have a right to choose to become dependent on society, it was also made harder to hospitalize someone against their will. Pam has to either admit herself or be an immediate physical threat to herself or another human being. Of course, without treatment she doesn't have the capability to realize that she even needs treatment, so she's not likely to seek it.

Advocates for the homeless are usually quick to point out that homeless problem was nearly nonexistent until the mental hospitals started discharging their patients because the courts were losing the power to keep them hospitalized. Some people estimate that as many as 90% of the homeless people require treatment for drug abuse, alcoholism, or mental disease. My personal theory is that there are two types of homeless: regular folks caught in a temporary bind who are back on their feet shortly, and the Pams of the world, who spend the rest of their lives on the streets or going from temporary shelter to temporary shelter.

Also, so many people don't realize that all shelters are temporary. Many are only open at night, all have a very short maximum stay, usually 30 days or less. Even if Pam sought and received treatment, it would be impossible for her improve via her therapy, sort herself out, get a job, and save up the $1000 or so bucks it takes to get an apartment these days in 30 days. Almost all the homeless programs offer short-term fixes designed to take the place of a long-term solution.

Even the programs that have the resources to get Pam into an apartment are still not allowed to force her to take her medication. Thus, she is moved in courtesy of the taxpayer or charity donor and within months is once again on the street. Is that really a good use of resources? It would be a wonderful use of resources if someone could MAKE her take her pills everyday, then she would be self-sufficient in a matter of months, instead of right back where she started.

Anyway, I'm on a soapbox, and I'm rambling, and none of this helps poor Pam today. It just makes me so mad that a few liberals can make such vast changes to society and never have any accountability when the consequences become so dire.

sammi
12-13-2001, 09:23 AM
You said it just like it is. I also feel that if I was unable to make my own decisions about my medication that someone else would- to prevent me me from being on the street. (and I am refering to medication that I would need to function in society if this were the case). I doubt that people living on the street have living wills. Today some states have people sign to have their siderails up when in the hospital/Nursing Home! That used to be standard for someone who was sedated or confused - but the saying goes something like "Better a broken bone than a broken heart".

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Leah -

You have just given the speech I have given so many times -- especially to my stepson. He rants about "capitalist" causing homelessness and I try to respond with some factual history about how "humanely" we treat the mentally ill. It breaks my heart but it also frightens me. Sometimes people who need medications can become violent without them. I have had personal experience trying to help someone who needed to take medications to function. Very sad that these people who could, at the very least be more comfortable, and in many cases be contributing members of society are instead cold, hungry, feared, etc.

zippy-kat
12-13-2001, 01:11 PM
I tried to give spare change to a 'corner bum' and his dog last week--he wouldn't come over to my car window to get it. :confused:

Aly and I had a discussion on homeless ppl just the other day. I understand when ppl get down on their luck, and I hope that if I'm ever that way, there will be ppl to help me--but it's the ppl who refuse to do anything to CHANGE their luck that anger me!

Xena
12-13-2001, 01:12 PM
Hi Everyone!
I first of all want to say thank you to so many people here who have offered help. It is such a blessing to meet so many good hearted people who truly care about Toby and Pam and have never met them.

Reading some of these posts are hard but true. In Pam's case after speaking with her Pastor and Network assistance worker I was given a history. Pam was in a state hospital to help her with her mental disabilities. She decided she wanted to leave so they had to allow her. Since that time she has been wandering aimlessly around trying to get people to help her. The churches have had her set up in various shelters and even were able to set her up in an apartment. Unfortunately Pam's mental disabilities are not going to go away and she is unable to follow through on what she needs to do to take care of herself out here. I have been advised that I need to shut my office off as an outlet to her so she will get the help she needs. This is difficult but I am understanding a little about what is needed and why.

This leaves sweet little Toby. The poor sweety seems like he has been through the ringer the last 3 months. He is very malnourished, appears to have an upper respiratory infection and has gotten into something that must have caused a bad allergic reaction in him. I have a vet appt today so we can find out where to start. Toby is a sweetheart that likes to talk now that he has been in my office with me for 4 days. He is very affectionate and has beautiful green eyes. Toby is Orange and White. The vet said we will need to run a series of tests. First being the feline lukemia test to rule that out. Then we can proceed from there. I am praying he is just malnourished and can pull through anything that is working on him.

Thank you Connie and Logan for inviting me to this commmunity and for helping me find a home for Toby if all goes well at the vets. I can see the members are loving and caring people and I am deeply grateful to be able to talk to everyone. Also thank you Tonya and Missy for offering your help. If I missed anyone I do apologize. Please say a prayer that all goes well with Toby today.

Thanks a Million,
Forever grateful,
Xena :)

zippy-kat
12-13-2001, 01:17 PM
I hope Lil' Toby gets to feeling better.
Prayers are comin' his way!

Logan
12-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Welcome, Xena!! We're all hoping and praying that Pam and Toby will be ok. Sure sounds like you have a lot more control over Toby's future at the moment, but it is a great thing you are doing. :)

We'll be anxiously awaiting your report.

Logan

Cynthia
12-13-2001, 01:44 PM
Xena, welcome to PetTalk! As you can see, this is an incredibly caring community. Thank you so very much for all you've done for Pam and Toby. Fingers and paws are crossed for them both.

cr7clark
12-13-2001, 02:28 PM
Welcome Xena! Bless your heart for taking care of Pam and Toby, especially at this time of the year when everyone is so busy. You have truly gone above and beyond the call of duty!! I know you will find everyone here on Pet Talk to be wonderful and caring.
I agree with everyone's posts about how sick people need to be gently made to take their medication if this will help them be self sufficient in society. Human nature will take the path of least resistance every chance it gets, therefore some sort of guidance system or internal set of standards are needed. With the mentally ill, they cannot hold onto (or have a distorted set of) these standards, so there must be some way to enforce them to their benefit. If we all didn't obey laws to a certain extent there'd be chaos in the world, and we are seeing this fact borne out in a small way with the homeless person problem in our country.
Oh well...This is a great place to "air out" one's opinions, and that is all this is meant to be.
Xena, Cyber-hugs to you!
BosMom
(Connie) :)

tatsxxx11
12-13-2001, 05:07 PM
Dear Xena. Thank you for all your assistance in helping Pam and Toby. You have a heart of gold. And we would be honored to have you join us here on Pet Talk as a regular visitor. Please keep us informed on Toby and Pam's status'. Prayers are on the way for them both....for their safety, health and especially, with hopes that they find a loving, caring home.

Xena
12-13-2001, 06:05 PM
Hi Everyone!
Thank you so much for the prayers. I have returned from the vets this is what I found out. Toby is approx. 5 years old.

Toby's Prognosis
Good News-
Toby tested Feline Lukemia and Immune Deficient Negative
He is also parasite free
Yipee!

Bad News-
Toby has a very bad allergic reaction to something that has been ongoing causing a secondary skin infection.

Really Bad News- (Sorry)
My blood is still boiling over this so excuse me if you sense my anger.
Toby has been abused. His teeth are damaged so bad and are chipped and broken all over.
The vet said the only way this could have happened is from being kicked and thrown alot. Because of this damage his teeth and gums are infected. They are beginning to abcess.

Pam stopped by my office today when I made it back from the vets right before closing the office. I asked her about Toby's teeth and told her what the vet said thought happened to him. She would not answer only look at the floor. Thank God I am a Christian. I was so angry. I understand violent mood swings in mentally ill people but poor Toby is declawed. He had no way of even trying to defend himself. I am not saying that Pam did this to him because I will never know for sure but she knows it happened when I mentioned that he had been kicked repeatedly. Ok I have to come off of this subject before I say something I shouldn't.

The vet is keeping Toby overnight. He is being given a shot of cortisone and is starting antibiotics orally. In addition to this they are going to soak Toby in a Conditioning of some sort and apply a topical antibiotic to him to help him with the secondary skin infection.

I tried to get a picture of Toby today for everyone and made the mistake of using a flash camera. He hid and now hides when he sees the camera. I will have to wait a few days to try and get another. Sorry

Let me tell you one thing about Toby he has the most magnificent translucent green eyes I have ever saw. They go right through you and melt your heart. He is afraid of people now I know why. But once you build his trust he is so overly affectionate you can't help resist his charms when he talks to you and wants a pet or a hug.

Thankfully Rachel has said she will take Toby when she returns back home after the Holidays.(Thanks Connie for leading her to Toby.) She is getting a winner in Toby. The only problem is going to be the dental work that he is going to need. According to the vet both top K-9's need to be removed. The one is broken in half the other is broken at the top. His bottom two are already gone. His other teeth are damaged but she feels they can be saved but will need alot of dental work.

The vet feels Toby is going to be ok and is very strong to be able to have gone through all of this. I Thank God I came across Toby when I did and will be so happy when he is placed in his forever loving home. Rachel will have to keep me updated because now I feel like his foster mom and am very attached.

I would love to keep him but I already have 2 big dogs Ben and Chessie, 2 cats Saber and Casper, a hamster Gizmo and a parakeet named Lee plus a fishtank in a two bedroom house so you can imagine. I will show you all my furbabies later they are a crazy but sweet bunch.

Thanks again for all your support and prayers for Toby. (I am very upset with Pam right now. But she still needs prayers too.)

Xena

zippy-kat
12-13-2001, 06:23 PM
Rachel? RachelJ? Tucker & Hannah's Mom????

AmberLee
12-13-2001, 06:24 PM
{{{Xena, Toby, Rachel, and Pam}}} <-- Cyberhug

What a mess. Thank you for the update. I'm so thrilled that Toby will have a loving forever home with Rachel and you have been quite a savior. My heart aches for Pam, but it does seem that Toby will be MUCH better off elsewhere. Will hold you all in my prayers.

Regards to your fur-babies, too, Xena. They have a very loving mommy. By her works shall we know her, if you'll pardon the paraphrase.

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]

4 feline house
12-13-2001, 07:33 PM
Xena, you, Toby and Pam are all in my prayers. As are Rachel, Logan, Tonya, Connie, and everyone else on this board and the meezers board for special blessings.

I am completely unable to help with Toby's expenses at this time, but since his dental problems will be ongoing, I will be happy to contribute in the future should it become necessary. Just have anyone email me now or in the future and I'll do what I can when I can.

Logan
12-13-2001, 09:22 PM
I think this Rachel is a different Rachel, someone BosMom knows, in the Baltimore area, not our Rachel J. BUT, our Rachel has a heart of gold and I'll bet she would have helped if she could! :)

Xena, I'm relieved at the negative tests and distressed at this poor boy's condition, and the horrible treatment he has endured.

This is what I want you to do, if you will. Ask the veterinarian if they would accept funds on Toby's behalf from others, and then I would like it if you would email me with the vet's name, address and phone number. I'll take it from there and you WILL NOT and ARE NOT asking for money. But we have some generous members here, who not only do a great job of supporting and praying, but will try to help with money for a needy pet, like Toby. It could be $3 or $30, but anything will reduce the burden on you and Rachel for this dental work Toby is facing.
You must let us try and help you with these expenses. I personally would like to have a part in his future.

I am SO very glad that Toby got to you. :) Bless his heart....his life will get better now.

Logan :)

zippy-kat
12-13-2001, 11:17 PM
I will help too but I'm afraid it won't be very much. (I'm a poor college kid.)

cr7clark
12-14-2001, 08:07 AM
Xena, count me in on the $$ contributions. And yes, Toby's Rachel is someone I know here at work, not the Rachel from Pet Talk.
Xena, it's a good thing I'm a Christian too or I'd behave in a very angry and inappropriate manner!! How can people abuse animals like that?!?!? Poor Toby!! At least he is going to a better home, his prospective new owner is a truly decent person with a pleasant and well-balanced personality.
Thanks Xena for all of your care and work on Toby's behalf. God bless you!

Logan
12-14-2001, 08:15 AM
I heard from Xena this morning that Toby will have to see a dental specialist and she is going to get us the information so that anyone who wants to, no matter how much or how little, can help with his bills. I'll let you know when I have the information confirmed and then you can email me if you want the address. Just yesterday's vet bill was $155.

Xena, as I mentioned before, I'll do all I can. And I'm going to check into a few other options for help as well. Keep us posted!

Logan

Xena
12-14-2001, 06:22 PM
Hi Everyone :)
I think the Spirit of Christmas is helping Toby and I. When I went to pick him up the bill was cut in half from $155.00 to $82.00. I told them that was incorrect and they said no it was right. I looked at the bill and the vet had removed alot of the charges. God Bless Her! She said Toby was so good for them with his treatment and is going to make someone a very good friend. She was helping Toby's cause. I wanted to hug her but the lobby was full of people so all I could do was say thank you, thank you, thank you and shake her hand. I am praying that the dental vet will be lenient. Everyone say a prayer. He was unable to see Toby tonight so I need to make an appt for next week. I have brought Toby home with me until Rachel gets back. He is going to be sharing a room with my son.

4 feline house
12-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Our prayers are already being answered!

Xena
12-14-2001, 07:07 PM
http://communities.msn.com/CatsandDogsinHarmony/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=64

This is Toby sorry he is a little camera shy so it is hard to get a good picture of him. I have set up a crate in my sons room without the front so he can go in and out as he pleases. For now he seems to like to stay in. I am sure within a few days he will venture out into the room. He looks alot better already. The vet said that his skin allergy and secondary skin infection should continue to clear up. Leah you are right when you say our prayers are being answered. :)

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

Cinder & Smoke
12-14-2001, 08:30 PM
Hi, Xena ~

Sorry, but the MSN sites will NOT let you cross-post "their" photos on Pet Talk :mad:!

Here's a link to your MSN site that will allow the photo to be seen if you click on this link:

Toby Cat at Xena's house... (http://communities.msn.com/CatsandDogsinHarmony/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=64)

To directly post his photo on Pet Talk, you'll have to send it to one of us in an e-mail, -OR- open a WebShots album and load it there. Then you can post from the WebShots album and see the photo here.

WebShots is at: Webshots.com (http://www.webshots.com/homepage.html)

4 feline house
12-14-2001, 09:06 PM
Bless his littel heart, he does look scraggly, doesn't he? I'm glad you were able to get a picture of him!

sammi
12-14-2001, 10:15 PM
Will say an extra prayer for Toby. Thanks for posting his picture. He is lucky to have you and Rachel to help him.

Xena
12-14-2001, 10:20 PM
Thank you for posting the link for Toby's Pic. I was trying but knew there had to be a trick to it. Thanks for explaining. I placed his pic on a site I opened to store pics on. I never told anyone about it before. So you may think I am picture crazy if you look at the site sorry. Toby actually has picked up alot more weight since when I first had him he was nothing but fur over bones. I am feeding him 4 pouches of Whiskas chicken and gravy a day and was giving him two cups of Whiskas dry food. Spaced out throughout the day. But now know he has to have soft food only because of his teeth. I thought chicken was the easiest digestible and the gravy would help fatten him up. I was going to increase this to 6 since he can not have dry food anymore. Should I put him on straight soft kitten food even though he is 5 yrs old? I was afraid to overdo it because I know he is not accustomed to having much and was afraid he might get sick if I try too much too soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Xena :confused:

4 feline house
12-14-2001, 10:24 PM
As long as he is still sick and/or underweight, kitten food would be a very good idea. If you are worried about a change in diet upsetting him you can gradually switch over - 3/4 of what he's eating now mixed with 1/4 kitten food, then half and half, etc. until his diet is completely switched over. Chicken and rice chopped fine or pureed is also good for convalescing cats as a supplement to the kitten food.

Logan
12-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Xena,
As I told you in my earlier email, I think he is beautiful!! :) Bless his heart...he looks comfortable and I just know he will get better and better.
The Webshots is acting up tonight and I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow, so I emailed his picture to Sandra to see if she will try in the morning. We need his face plastered right here!! :D
Have a good Saturday everyone.
Logan

4 feline house
12-15-2001, 12:35 PM
Introducing Toby:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/o2/MF/6k/iw20072.jpg

Xena
12-15-2001, 02:57 PM
Thank you Leah for posting his pic. I tried using Webshots but must have done it wrong.
Toby is starting to explore his surroundings today. He is so affectionate but scares very easily. We are making steady progress though and he is eating really well too. I have started him on a mix of kitten food and the Whiskas today. I will decrease the Whiskas daily and add more kitten food as you suggested.
Thanks again,

tatsxxx11
12-15-2001, 05:57 PM
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/pk/NI/aQ/ak87837.jpg

Here is precious Toby!

tatsxxx11
12-15-2001, 05:58 PM
Just saw Leah already did. Sorry Logan. :(

Logan
12-15-2001, 06:58 PM
I think two doses of Toby is better than one!!! I think he is precious....and it helps to put a face with the name. Xena, I'm so happy that sweet Toby will be with you over Christmas. :)

Thanks Sandra, for posting that, and Leah too!

Logan
12-15-2001, 10:01 PM
And here is a newer picture of Toby, feeling all better, thank goodness!! Xena reports that Toby likes sleeping on her son's bed now.....isn't he just wonderful???

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/039/Sw/7j/hG/iR31518.jpg

Xena
12-16-2001, 07:53 AM
Thank you Logan for posting Toby's Pic. He is eating like a horse (pardon the expression)and even has a belly now. lol He has stopped scratching and chewing at himself so bad. His skin is really clearing up nicely. I think the cortisone is kicking in. Now to get the dental work done and Toby will be on his way to hopefully many years so he can enjoy a loving and safe future. Thank you everyone for all the prayers, support, advice and donations. You are wonderful and may God Bless all of you!

lbaker
12-16-2001, 09:14 AM
Xena, I think BosMom may have mentioned that I, too, live in MD and only now have picked up on this thread.. If I can help in any way $$ or ANYTHING please reply.. is there an address that I may have missed :confused: to help with the bills :( sorry I'm so late with the offer but better late then never :p at least I hope so :confused:
laurie

Xena
12-16-2001, 10:17 AM
Hi Laurie :)
No it is not too late. Toby goes in next week for an estimate on the dental work he is going to need. Thank you so much for offering to help. I will email you the Animal Hospital address he is going to where they have started the fund for him. Toby and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

4 feline house
12-16-2001, 01:08 PM
Xena, please email me that address, too. It will probably be next month before I can do anything, but if he is indeed going to need ongoing care then funds may still be needed then, too.

cr7clark
12-17-2001, 06:29 AM
Xena, count me in on the $$ donations, I won't be able to contribute until next month but I'd like to be prepared.
Toby looks a lot like our Gaucho, who now lives happily ever after in NJ (he and Bo didn't get along). I am so glad this story is turning out to have a happy ending!
:D :D

Xena
12-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Hi Everyone!
I was able to get Toby an appointment for the dental estimate on December 27th. They said due to the holidays they can not make anymore appointments til then. Well at least we were able to get one for this month and then we can find out all that needs to be done. Toby is still doing great and picking up weight nicely.
Thanks,

Logan
12-19-2001, 10:40 PM
And Xena has also reported that Toby is purring for her too!!! Say it with me.... "Awwwwwwwwww"!!! Reading that made my day!!!!

Xena, you are God's gift to cats, in my opinion, with lots of help from Connie(BosMom)first, then the other "cyber angels" who are going to help Toby out financially.

Happy Holidays to all of you, and LOTS AND LOTS of HUGS to Toby from me, please.

Logan

Xena
12-27-2001, 06:09 PM
Hi Everyone!
Well Toby and I just got back from the Dental Clinic. We have good news and not so good news.

Good News
Toby has gone from 8 lbs 3 oz to 11 lbs.
He is picking up weight great!

The Dental Vet thinks he can save the right K-9 and his other teeth.

Not So Good News
He definately has to remove the one K-9 and clean the black tartar off each individual tooth. Then treat his gums. Toby's gums have receded exposing parts of his teeth that are not suppose to be exposed and they are absessed.

Bad News
Toby is missing a large part of his tongue. This has been why Toby has had so much trouble cleaning himself and eating. He is hoping that it is just from a past trauma. But he will not be sure until he goes in and is able to pull the tongue out to examine it. There is a thing called Neo Placia (not sure of the spelling) which causes the tongue to recede because of a mass that grows on it. If it is this it is cancerous.

I am so upset right now because Toby has got to be the sweetest most lovable cat there is and it just isn't fair. I am praying it is just from past trauma and that he has adjusted well to eating with a partial tongue. He can not eat canned food unless I clump it and make balls for him. Dry food is out of the question. But he is able to eat Whiskas so I have been giving him 6 packets a day and he has been doing great with it. He grabs a chunk and wings it to the back of his throat to swallow it. Now I understand why he is doing it. He will always need special care because he can not clean himself well. But he is sooooo good with anything you do with him I just use kitty wipes to clean him up.

Since Toby has began purring he purrs constantly now. He loves to roll on his back and be scratched on his chest and under his chin. He talks to you constantly and you can see the pleasure in his eyes when he sees you. He loves to be held like a baby now and purrs away. The dental vet poked and prodded in his mouth for 10 min never once did Toby hiss, growl or meow. He is so good it is amazing. He also loves his catnip pad that Santa gave him and he looks like a kitten when he rolls around on it. lol

Now for the estimate. Toby will need to be under anasthesia a mininum of an hour and a half maybe longer depending on what the vet finds out about his tongue also if he has to take a biopsy. With the hospitalization, surgery, anasthesia, tests etc etc etc the estimated bill is $799.00. I know my eyes popped out of my head too. But Toby is worth it and I will find a way to get him through this. Thanks you so much for the donations. The Animal Clinic said that Toby's fund is up to $130.00 and I think that is great! God Bless everyone who is helping it is greatly appreciated.

Xena

AmberLee
12-27-2001, 06:19 PM
:confused: Sorry, I've missed the post where the fund's address was given. Would you mind reposting it? I'd like to support this, but need more info. (Sorry to be dense, but just plain missed it. ??)

sasvermont
12-27-2001, 06:50 PM
Dear Xena and Toby,

What great news and yet I have to wonder about that tongue problem. Is the Vet going to biopsy the tongue first? That is what I would have him do. Let us all know the outcome of the tongue problem, please. I truly hope it was damaged from mistreatment and not due to a tumor. If the tongue problem is serious then I don't think the Vet will go forward with repairs to the teeth. What do you think?

I have misplaced the information for the payments to the Toby fund and if you would email me or post it here, I would appreciate it. It must have gotten mixed in with the Christmas rush.

Xena it is so nice of you to take this poor kitty in to your home and give it such TLC and if it turns out that the tongue cannot allow it to survive very much longer, then you will know that it had a wonderful time at your place and was given such great care! Again, I truly hope it is from a past trama.

Good luck Xena and don't forget to give that address out to us! Thank you!

SAS

I just reread your posting and noticed your comment about the biopsy etc.

I will say a prayer for Toby!

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: SasVermont ]

TheAntiPam
12-27-2001, 07:30 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Toby is purring and gaining weight. Even though he's been through so much abuse and neglect, I'd like to believe that the tender care he is getting now will renew his little spirit.

Keep fighting for life and health, little Toby. Your friend Xena and all your PetTalk friends want you to feel love and hope for just as long as possible.

Xena
12-27-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks for offering the donations we really appreciate it. From what I understand the vet is going to look at his tongue first while he is under anasthesia. By examining it he should be able to tell if he needs to do a biopsy or not. Hopefully he will find that it is only from a past trauma and will proceed with Toby's dental surgery. He did say that Toby's weight gain is great and that he feels confident that Toby will do well with the surgery. Maybe I am being optimistic but I don't believe that life can be so cruel to take away his future so soon. Toby has had to go through so much but has still managed to keep his loving and sweet nature and continues to thrive. I will keep praying to St. Francis to watch over him and protect him.
Xena

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

Xena
12-28-2001, 01:06 PM
Ok Everyone Great News I hope! I was finally able to get through to the Rescue Organization that I adopted my second kitten from. Thier Vet is going to look at Toby tonight. Over the phone I explained what needed to be done. They think the surgery and biopsy if needed can be done there for around $219.00. Don't worry about the donations I am sure I can retrieve them if we need to switch vets. Your prayers are helping and I know someone is listening from up above.

Xena
12-28-2001, 07:28 PM
Fantastic News Everyone! The rescue organization's vet examined Toby. He said that Toby does not have Neo Placia and that it is scar tissue that has built up on the end of his partial tongue. The vet said that just like any handicapped animal Toby has adjusted his eating etc. and that he does not see his tongue as a major problem. He is going to do the pre-blood work to make sure his kidneys and liver can take the anasthesia. Extract his K-9, clean his teeth, treat his absesses and put him on antibiotics. The vet said he should be able to do all of this for under $200. Thank God! Graciously he is giving us the Rescue Organization's discounts for the procedure. He listened to Toby's heart and lungs and said he looks and sounds very good and should be ready for the surgery. I will need to talk to Rachel as to how she wants to do this. The vet is about 20 min from me and about an hour from her. It will be done as an outpatient where Toby will be dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening. I am just so happy to know that Toby will finally be able to get the dental work done and that his tongue is ok. Toby has this one final hurdle and will then begin his loving painfree future.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

Xena
12-29-2001, 06:11 AM
An update on Pam. She called me yesterday Pam voluntarily went to the state hospital and they are reevaluating her medication and helping her. Now that she has taken this first step the network assistance worker said they are going to assign someone to help her when she gets out to find suitable housing and to watch over her. Basically this means a worker will go to her house daily to check on her, handle her finances and make sure she has food in the house. If they see a change where her medication needs to be adjusted or any problems they will be able to address it right away. So it looks like Pam is finally receiving the help she needs and hopefully will never be in such a bad situation again.

sasvermont
12-29-2001, 12:11 PM
What great news about Toby and good news that Pam will be looked after. I am so happy to hear that the tongue thing for Toby worked out just fine. I didn't want to mention it before, but I just (Feb. 2001) had to put a cat down because she had inoperable tongue cancer. So I was really scared when I heard about Toby. Glad bad starts can have a good finish these days.

Still let us know about the money angle of this situation. I know how expensive things can get eventually.

Thank you for your efforts in saving this poor kitty.

SAS

Logan
12-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Xena,
I am so relieved to hear about Toby and the fact that you have found a vet who will help out on this, much more inexpensively. I hope that the other vet, where we sent money to is going to work with you on transferring it to the new vet. I certainly hope so!!
Kiss Toby for us, and tell him that is he loves Whiskas, I'll be glad to send it to him by the crateload!!!! :D
Logan

Xena
01-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi Everyone!
Sorry I have been without a computer for a couple days. Toby is scheduled to have the dental surgery done next Thursday, Jan 10. Thanks for all your help and support through this it has been greatly appreciated.

Logan
01-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Xena, I never know where to respond to you, since I follow Toby's story at Siamese Cats and here. Please know that I am excited that he will have his surgery soon, and hopefully feel much better when it is done.

I know you haven't discussed his behavior issues much over here, but maybe you could when you have time. You might get some good suggestions from these folks too.

I am so disappointed that the "forever" home doesn't seem to have worked out. I do hope you will at least hear from her. I wish I were closer and didn't have two of my own, because he sounds like a love, and I would take him in a minute. Mimi would never allow it....she still flattens her ears and hisses everytime Butter comes near. And he is so mean...he might intimidate the heck out of Toby.

In the end, whatever happens, I'm sure Toby will be fine. You'll make sure of it!! :D You are very dear to me, because I know you are a compassionate, loving individual. I read it in each and every post. Thanks for all you do. :)

Logan
01-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Here is an updated post from Xena - she left it over at Siamese Cats this morning:

Hi Everyone!
If you could just say a small prayer I would be most grateful. Toby goes in today for the dental surgery to have his teeth worked on and one or more extracted. I will be dropping him off early this morning and picking him up this evening. I know I am a worrywart but that is what I do best. lol
Thanks for all the support in helping Toby.
Xena

I knew you would want to keep Toby in your hearts and prayers today. :)

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Logan ]

Xena
01-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Hi Logan! Hi Everyone!
I am sorry for taking so long getting back here. Toby had his dental surgery yesterday and did great! The vet said his one K-9 was infected all the way through and was very hard to extract. He said poor Toby had to have been in alot of pain from it. The vet in addition to doing the dental surgery also gave him all of his vaccinations and rabies shot. He is also on antibiotics for dental infections and abcesses. He took the antibiotics like a trooper this morning. So now Toby should be done with vets for a long time. Poor little guy didn't sleep too much last night and his eyes are all puffy this morning. When I was leaving for work he finally looked relaxed and was sleeping peacefully. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support. Toby should now be in A1 shape and painfree from here on out.
Xena

As far as the aggression towards the kittens I am going to see how Toby does with them after his mouth heals. I am thinking with a major toothache like he had to have had could have made him easily aggitated. So keeping my fingers crossed that maybe he will tolerate them a little more now.
:D

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Xena ]

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Xena-

I am so glad to hear Toby is doing well.

Were you able to use the contributions sent to the Vet Clinic for Toby?

purrley
01-11-2002, 12:45 PM
I just finished reading all this on Toby - missed this all the way around due to the holidays and all. I'm so uplifted to know that there are so many wonderful, wonderful people out there since lately I've run into such mean ones. God Bless everyone for their efforts on helping this wonderful kitty, my heart is so full it brings me to tears!!!!
Xena - it appears you're going to keep little Toby, he should never return to Pam since I guess it was her that inflicted the abuse on the poor thing right???

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: purrley ]

Xena
01-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi Everyone!
Ok I have been working with the original vet Toby was going to. I explained the situation and why we couldn't use them. Since they took so long getting back to me and said they were working on it I just scheduled Toby for the surgery with the other vet. I paid the bill for the new vet so that is all clear.

The original vet has agreed to return all donations back to the original donors. They said the refunded donations will be sent by next week. If anyone does not recieve thier donation back please email me. I am trusting that they are very honest but just in case of a paper error I would like to be sure.

As far as keeping Toby I have become very attached to him this past month he is such a sweetheart. Toby is a little territorial though. I have 7 and 8 month old siamese mixes which he gets a little rough with and holds them down. I also have two dogs which he is not very fond of. So I am still working with Toby to see if he can adapt to living with the rest of my furry family or if he would rather be an only cat. As far as Pam he will not be going back with her. If it comes down to him not being able to adapt to a mutliple pet household then I will begin a search for an only cat home. Which if that were to happen I will be very picky about since Toby has special needs and he needs to be loved bunches.

Thanks,

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Is there anyway the donations can be forwarded to cover Toby's expenses with the new vet?

Xena
01-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Thanks so much ES but I paid the other vet yesterday at time of service. I didn't want to hold them up waiting for the first vet plus didn't want to delay Toby's dental surgery any longer.

Xena

Logan
01-11-2002, 10:49 PM
I do wish you could be reimbursed for some of this, Xena. That was our intention.

Xena
01-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Logan,
I do understand and God Bless all of you for giving the donations. The vet was unable to forward the money to the other vet or me due to the checks being payable to them. Since Toby has had the dental surgery completed and is now all up to date on his shots I thought it best to have the donations returned. This way they can possibly be used for another down the road in need. Toby and I would truly love that.
Xena :D