PDA

View Full Version : Just try to walk a fish....

RICHARD
10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Fish can learn quicker than dogs

Fish are much brainier than previously thought - and can learn quicker than dogs.

Oxford scientists have dubbed them "very capable" after building an aquatic obstacle course.

The blind Mexican cave fish tested memorised the challenged in just a few hours reports The Sun.

They spotted changes when the university researchers tried to fool them. And the fish still remembered what they had learned several months later.

Scientists also revealed their subjects completed complex mental tasks which would baffle pets like hamsters and dogs.

Dr Theresa Burt de Perera said: "The public perception of fish is that they are pea-brained numbskulls who can't remember things for more than a few seconds.

"We're now finding that they are very capable of learning and remembering, and possess a range of mental skills that would surprise many people."

She added: "We know that fish can recognise their owners - some will even go into a sulk if somebody else tries to feed them."

-----------------------------------

Well,

I've never seen a dog on a hook.....
;)

MariaM
10-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Ok?:confused:

LOL Richard:D

sabies
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Some days I wouldn't doubt that most fish are smarter than
Sadie but I'd much rather pet a dog!

kingrattus
10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks for more proof that fish aren't stupid.

My fish know me & they'll hide if someone else goes near them & Oscar will refuse to eat from someone else. Mango loves rob, but is scared of everyone else, unless I'm in the room.

Oscar can even beg for food. thats the only time she goes near the front of her tank

Karen
10-04-2004, 10:56 PM
This is just another example of scientists finally proving what ordinary folks have known all along.

Fish are not stupid. Neither are dogs, by the way, I have no idea how they decided fish were "smarter" or to what dogs they compared them.