PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mechanically inclined?

catnapper
10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I need help! My washing machine is broken, and I'm sure its easy to fix if I knew what I was looking for.

The machine itself spins, drains, fills, etc... but it doesn't move through the cycles on its own anymore. It gets stuck in each mode and I have to manually move the dial to take it to the next cycle at the appropriate time. Its very time consuming - I can't spend several hours a day running down to the basement every ten minutes to move the cycle knob to the bext cycle! :eek:

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix it? Please don't say "call your repair man!" :D

Kfamr
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
My dad has worked with appliances a majority of his life... He's currently buisy but when he gets the time I'll have him read this. :)

caseysmom
10-04-2004, 04:06 PM
You may need to change the part that you are manually moving, you can call a parts store and get some help.

catnapper
10-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks!
Please Kay, if he knows what it might be, let me know too!

Cinder & Smoke
10-04-2004, 04:17 PM
:(

Your "Timer Motor" died... :(

There is a small electric motor that powers the "Timer" - a series
of electrical "switches" that tell the machine what to do - and when.

Look in the Yellow Pages for "Appliance Parts" -
call one of the shops that advertise Your Brand of Washer.

Ask if they have either a "replacement Timer Motor" -or-
a "complete Timer Assembly" for your EXACT Model of washer.

Be CAREFUL -
there are a LOT of color-coded WIRES connected to the "Timer"...

MIS-placing one or two wires while you're working on it will
turn the washer into a crazy Pin-Ball Machine!!

To CHANGE it - you'll have to figure out "how" the TOP or BACK
of the "contrl panel" (where the Timer Dial is mounted) comes off.

Good Luck! ;)

/s/ Phred

Kfamr
10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
My dad says that the timer is bad, and that you need a new timer.

What brand is it? My dad could tell you approximately what it should cost/how hard it is to install.

He could even talk you through it on the phone if needed.

(PM me with your number and I can have him call you right now if you'd like. :) )

catnapper
10-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks a million guys!

The machine is a Frigidaire Crown Series washer. Its about 3 years old, maybe 4. How long does a washer last?

Kfamr
10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Dad says from his experience with that specific part -- it'd cost you around $100 alone for the part.

You can probably go to www.sears.com and put in the model # and find out how much the part costs. Or www.marcone.com

He says you should get around 10 years of use.

jazzcat
10-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
The machine is a Frigidaire Crown Series washer. Its about 3 years old, maybe 4. How long does a washer last?
A lot longer than that. My parents had an appliance store until they retired in 1990 and I have an old washer and dryer my dad fixed up for me. They are 1984 models and still working well.

Too bad you don't live close. My Dad and husband could fix it and it would do Dad good to have a project like that. He's losing his memory and can't remember what he ate for lunch but ask him how to fix an appliance and he can tell you like he's been doing it everyday. Unfortunately he can't use his fingers too well so that is where my husband comes in.

catnapper
10-04-2004, 04:39 PM
$100 :eek: :eek:

Oy! Why can't it be $5? :p

Lori, perhaps you want a road trip with your father and husband to Pennsylvania?

jazzcat
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
With kittens in tow? LOL!!!