PDA

View Full Version : Travels with My Cats

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2004, 10:00 PM

What good travelers the E's are! They have taken to it like ducks to water! Eddie doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as Edwina but he sits peacefully in his carrier with his adorable little face out. Meanwhile, Edwina strolls about the vehicle...hissing at the occasional vehicle....before settling down in her "carseat for cats." They rode for just over ten hours today without complaint. Eddie seems to suffer just a bit from "mal de mer" as his nose is very pink.

Pit stops are the height of excitement for both of them... requiring intense staring.... Edwina gets on my lap a bit and looks out every window.

We are tucked up here for the night....the E's are having great fun exploring the room. Under the bed is a good spot... onward tomorrow toward Arizona. Wish I could sleep the whole way!

nibblets
10-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Best of luck on your journey! It will be interesting to see how they react to the new home. I hope they like it.

Corinna
10-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear they are such good travelers . Our old guy Winky enjoyed the whole move from Washington to Montana 11 years ago .

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2004, 03:52 AM
I'm so glad to hear that they are good travellers! That must be a weight off your mind. I was thinking about you all yesterday, wondering how it was going, but I needn't have worried.

I'm pleased to hear that Edwina is remaining alert, hissing at vehicles she doesn't like the look of and carrying out that most important of cat duties - intense staring. It is very sensible to remain vigilant while travelling.

Hope you all have a good sleep tonight and safe travelling tomorrow!

Barbara
10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
That really is true spirit of Pet Talk to keep us updated on that strenuous journey. I am happy to hear the Es bear it in dignity. I'm afarid I have two people here who would whine until their voices got down.

Oklahoma. Now you've left the North behind. Stay safe going West:)

lynnestankard
10-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Oh my gosh the E's are on the road!!!

Thanks for the update Sara - it sounds as if all's going well - wishing you a pleasant and incident free onward journey :) :)

Lynne

Randi
10-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Wow, Oklahoma already!! You must be tired!

So glad the E's are good travelers. :) Did you get the pills in both of them? I bet they're checking every inch of the motels rooms out, and enjoying to run free - of course, under the bed is safest. :D

I wonder if Edwina is staring so intensely to try and figure out the way back "home". :eek:

I hope you all have a good long rest and enjoy some yummy food! What are the E's having on the trip?

Is Eddie's harnesh tight enough???

Have a safe journey - and remember to relax! ;) Next stop, you'll probably be able to practise your spanish.

Hugs and headbumpies from,

Randi, John & Fister

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-03-2004, 11:22 AM
I am so glad your journey is going well and the E's are behaving.

gini
10-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Sara, I have thought about you and your trip west. I am sure you were anxious about the E's at first and how they would take to the long car ride.

I am really happy that they are not giving you much trouble.

Years ago, I took my little Patches to the mountains. I was so careful with her carrier/toys/food etc. She put up such a fuss while she was in her carrier and just sat there and yowled.

I brought her out because she was making such a terrible noise and that is all that she wanted. She sat on my lap, quieted right down and just stared at everything.

Have a good safe and uneventful "rest of the trip".

catmandu
10-03-2004, 12:31 PM
The Found Cat Angels,Fluffy,and Tiger,have been travelling,with you,to make sure that ES,are All Right,and because they LOVE MOTELS!We cant find Laguna Niquel,on our Map,buts its an old Map!

Pam
10-03-2004, 12:40 PM
As Roy Rogers used to sing "Happy Trails to you!" You are faring much better than I would. Trevor yowls like a mountain lion in his carrier during the 15 minute ride to the vet and Andy is almost as bad. I can't imagine taking them on a long car trip! :eek: Check in when you get to Arizona. Too bad you can't take it easy and slow and get to meet some Pet Talkers along the way.

kimlovescats
10-03-2004, 01:09 PM
I had no doubt the very "worldly" E's would do great on their newest expedition! Be safe and keep us posted!;)

catcrazylady
10-03-2004, 02:32 PM
It sounds like the E's are enjoying their journey. Be safe everyone and keep us posted on your travels.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-03-2004, 02:46 PM
I just got off the phone with Sara! I, of course, didn't check PT first so I didn't know Sara had checked in, so I called her. They were near Albuquerque and were headed up into the mountains and her signal was getting weak so I lost her. But she said everything is going just fine. The E's both love the carriers she got for them. Edwina's has a "car seat" that comes out of the carrier and that's where she prefers to sit. This surprised me because a few weeks ago when I visited, Sara showed me the little carrier and car seat and Edwina could have cared less about it. I'm glad she's taken to it - money well spent. :) Sara did say that she has not given them the valium she had gotten for them - they don't appear to need it. :)

So all in all, things are going really well and they hope to pull into their new home sometime tomorrow evening, which is making great time considering they're pulling a trailer with the Harley in it!

So far it sounds like "uneventful" is the theme of the trip, and here's hoping it stays that way. I didn't get a chance to ask her about taking pics of The Traveling E's. Guess we'll have to wait and find out about that one......;) :)

slick
10-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the update Sara. Stay safe and please give kisses to the E's for me.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-03-2004, 03:37 PM
:D I've been wondering how you were fairing! I'm glad the trip is going so well and the E's are taking it all in stride. I was afraid you would be treated to ear splitting yeowls the entire trip!:D

Uabassoon
10-03-2004, 03:46 PM
I doubt you'll get this in time, but where in Az will you be tonight? I'm sure you will be tired, but I know you have to eat sometime! Maybe if you end up somewhere near me we can have dinner.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I doubt you'll get this in time, but where in Az will you be tonight? I'm sure you will be tired, but I know you have to eat sometime! Maybe if you end up somewhere near me we can have dinner.

She mentioned they were hoping to make it to Flagstaff.

Uabassoon
10-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
She mentioned they were hoping to make it to Flagstaff.

LOL then I withdraw my invitation! That's about 4 hours from me. I knew she graduated from U of A, so I was hoping that she would decide to stay in her college town :) But if I were traveling I'd want to stay in Flagstaff too, the weather is about 30 degrees cooler!

krazyaboutkatz
10-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the E's are such good travelers.:) I hope you continue to have a safe trip.

catnapper
10-03-2004, 06:28 PM
You are so lucky. Just a ten minute car ride brings a cacophony of meows.

Good luck on the rest of your trip! This is so very exciting for the E's - and I hope your doing your PT duty and taking lots of photos! :D

Cinder & Smoke
10-03-2004, 07:27 PM
:)

Happie Trails... :D

Sounds like ALL is going very well...

Please ~ Drive Safe!!

And you FurKids - keep *ENJOYING* your Adventure! ;)

We can't wait much longer to see the *snappies* of the Big Trip!

AND the :cool: New Howze!

Keep SAFE!!

lizzielou742
10-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Glad things are going well! Best wishes for a safe trip across the mountains!

Edwina's Secretary
10-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Winslow, Arizona

Laura....how nice of you to invite us for dinner! We won't be going that far south:( ....The E's and my husband are feed....Edwina is at the foot of the bed and Don sonring peacefully. We drove 13 hours today. Exhausting....except for two little gray ones who slept most the way.

I just can't get over what good travelers these two are...especially Edwina. She LOVES looking out the window. I have taken photos.....The biggest problem is getting them in the hotel room....

Orange County tomorrow night.....I have finished a 500+ page book....I would name it but.....it's political...;) :D

p.s. Four states today...Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona!

rkidsrcats
10-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Sounds like your travels are going well.
The Tribe moved from Connecticut to Seattle almost 1 year ago - everyone did well on our 5 day journey. Sneaking 5 cats and a golden retreiver into the hotel was the biggest challenge - having only declared one dog, one cat. Having all five cats sitting in the hotel window is a dead give-away. We were never caught and the tribe was on their best behavior at night.

It's amazing how well they tolerate moving as long as they feel safe and are with the ones they love and trust.

Wishing you a safe and uneventful journey to your new home. :)

ramanth
10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear the travels have been uneventful! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Hmmm.....Winslow, AZ....were you perhaps.....standing on a corner.....with such a fine site to see.... ? ;)

Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see:
it's a girl, my Lord, in a flat bed Ford
slowin' down to take a look at me.

Ok, so I tried to create appropriate lyrics, but I'm just not creative enough - drat! :rolleyes: ;)

13 hours - ugh! That's a loooooonnng day. We do about the same every year when we head home from Denver after seeing Terry's family for Thanksgiving. It's a long tough ride and the only thing that helps is knowing we'll be sleeping in our own bed at the end of the night. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for you, but these long driving days will shorten the length of the overall trip and you'll be arriving today instead of tomorrow or the next day - which is a good thing too. It's like the long days are tough, but they shorten the overall pain of a long dragged out trip. Yoday should be a short day in comparison. Hopefully you'll hit LA at sometime other than rush hour so you don't hit too much traffic - which really sucks after a long drive.

I'm so happy the E's are being so cooperative and so far the trip is uneventful. Here's hoping it stays that way. :)

Cinder & Smoke
10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
:confused:

Are we HOME, yet??

:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Phred, I checked my maps program and they still had about 500 some miles to go today, which is still a good 9-10 hour drive, and seeing as they are now 3 hours behind your time, I wouldn't expect to hear from them until late this evening. I think Don is an early riser so they probably headed out early, but it's still a long ride.

Cinder & Smoke
10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... they still had about 500 some miles to go today...

... but it's still a long ride.

:eek:

"Dad?
Kan ya drive a lil *faster*??" :p

I can remember MANY Loooong childhoold drives up into Canada to
Dad's two-week "Fishin Vacations"...

The well-worn conversations centered around How Many DIFFERENT Ways
Can You Ask the SAME Question...

Are we THERE, yet?
How much longer?
How much farther?
Is it lunch time, yet?
When are we gonna stop for gas? (An hour after we DID stop.)

Barbara
10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
I remember that drive from last year and that Sonora desert takes forever;)

Vio&Juni
10-04-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm glad to hear the Es are cooperative and are enjoying the trip :)

Hope to see pictures of Edwina stuck to the window :D

rg_girlca
10-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Glad to hear that all is going well for everyone, especially the "E's". on the trip to your new home.:)

gini
10-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Can you believe my perfect luck?

I just called Sara and Don on their cell phone and THEY HAD JUST CROSSED THE STATE BORDER INTO CALIFORNIA!!!

It enabled me to WELCOME THEM TO CALIFORNIA at just the perfect moment.

They sounded pretty tired.........but they don't have far to go now. They were in Bullhead City, Arizona and crossed over to California there.

I couldn't talk long because the reception was poor and the call kept breaking up!

Here is hoping for a safe rest of the trip!

slick
10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
WHOOO HOOOO!!!
Me thinks there should be another BBQ to honour their arrival???;)

wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by slick
WHOOO HOOOO!!!
Me thinks there should be another BBQ to honour their arrival???;)

That's a wonderful idea Slick! :D

Great timing, Gini! :D

Killearn Kitties
10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
:D I'm so pleased they are on the home straight now! Hang one E's, it's not long now!

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
We have arrived! We are in Don's apartment now.... our furniture doesn't arrive until Thursday.

Oh the desert! It did drag on! We went through the Mohave....(I was a little off on my mapping when I spoke to Gini....we crossed at Needle.) If that isn't the end of the earth it is pretty darn close! We arrived early enough to miss rush hour traffic.

The E's were great travelers. Except when Eddie decided to howl at 3:00 this morning. I tried everything.... food, litter box.... even made him a blinkie if he needed to ....you know....:rolleyes:

We are chilling now with a little vino rojo after 32.5 hours of driving.... (incidently...stops are only allowed when the vehicle needs fuel. It is important to tie any biological needs to the fuel needs....)

And Debbie... I always thought it was "a girl, my lord, in a plastic Ford.....:D :D :D Makes alot more sense your way...;)

slick
10-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Thank goodness you made it safely. Enjoy the happy hour...you deserve it! So happy the E's were OK. Please give them both smoochies from me.

Miss Meow
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm so glad you're all together safe and sound!

Glass of vino and got the internet connection working and trying to work out the cause of Eddie's ants in pants - you are an inspiration!

Corinna
10-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Glad to hear all made in good shape. The E's must want to investagate the new digs.

gini
10-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Sara, NEEDLES???

Oh my goodness, do you know that Snoopy's brother Spike lives in Needles?

Just think how close you were to him.

Glad you arrived safe and sound.

It sounds as though Eddie picked up on a scent that he didn't like and he felt threatened - or he just knew that he wasn't at home.

lizbud
10-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Sara,

So glad to hear you all arrived safely.:) Sounds like the E's
kept you entertained on the long, long drive. I'd be interested
tp know what book you were reading, but I'll ask later.:D

Rest,relax & enjoy a good night's sleep.:)

popcornbird
10-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Sara, I'm soooo glad to hear you're journey went fine, and that you've all arrived home safely. A big warm WELCOME to California!!!!! Hope you, Don, and the kitties all come to love it here. :D

So how long was the journey? 4 days, 3 nights?

Vermontcat
10-04-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm happy to hear that you all made it to California safely.
Do you have any pictures of the traveling kitties?:)

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-04-2004, 09:02 PM
It's great to hear that you all made it here safely. Get lots of rest and give the Es a big cuddle. Welcome to California!

krazyaboutkatz
10-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Sara, I'm glad that you made it safely to California.:) I've also driven through Needles before and actually stayed there for a night. It's a place I'd like to forget. I hope that everything goes well with the rest of your move. Take care.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Hmmm....Needles....sounds familiar. If I remember correctly, I think some of our Corvette friends from California have made some runs out that way. Are there long wide stretches of road with no one in site followed by narrow twisty turns through the canyons? If so, that sounds right up their alley - especially the part where no one else is on the road. ;) (No one else on the road is a good thing when you're in a car that is capable of 180 mph). :eek: :D

I'm so glad to hear you've made it all in one piece and even had time for a little cocktail hour besides. Sounds like Eddie finally figured out that something was up - about time buddy! ;) :D

Looking forward to pictures and tales of new adventures in your new home. :D

Randi
10-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Sara, I'm so glad you have arrived safely, and that the journey was without incidents. :) You must be proud of the E's - what good travellers!! :D Give them kisses from me!

I bet you need a good rest .... and then, you deserve another bottle of wine! ;)

Looking forward to see pics and hear how you're settling in, one of these days!

Hugs and headbumpies.

lynnestankard
10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Great news Sara - so pleased you all arrived safe and sound.

Bet those poor furries are exhausted???!!!! All that driving! :eek: :eek: Nose kissies to the E's xxx

Lynne

slick
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Sara, just curious, did you take any pictures on your travels? Would love to see some of the E's with their travel gear on. :)

Vio&Juni
10-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Sara, I am glad you arrived safely. It must be such a relief to finally be at home.

Waiting for pictures... :)

Cinder & Smoke
10-05-2004, 05:48 PM
:)

WELCOME

** HOME **!!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

... (incidently...stops are only allowed
when the vehicle needs fuel.

It is important to tie any biological needs
to the fuel needs....)

Sounds like Your Don attended the *same* "Traveling With Family"
class that MY DAD attended...

"STOP!?? ~ :eek: ~
WHAT FOR???
We just "stopped" 4 hours ago!!" :p

GLAD you all made it - Safe & Sound!!

Now...
If the FURNITUE will just show up on the "scheduled" day...

:rolleyes:

AmberLee
10-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Welcome to California, dear!!!

So glad to read that the E's are terrific travellers (and, blush, a little envious -- Livvy believes that the travel experience is enhanced when she yodels. Her record is 1.5 hours non-stop, driveway to driveway. :rolleyes: ;) ) Perhaps the E's will publish a 'How To' pamphlet that will enlighten other PT pud tats on travel tips???

So glad that you all made the trip safely and fingers crossed here that all the furniture will arrive on time and in fine condition, too.

RedHedd
10-06-2004, 06:21 PM
YAY! Welcome to California E's and family!