PDA

View Full Version : Cat Transportation

aly
05-18-2001, 05:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a GOOD airline to ship a cat on? I have a rescue that needs to go to California to his new home. A woman working in dog rescue was telling me about an airline that ships the pets in the same area as the passengers instead of down below. I can't find her email address to ask her which airline though.

aly
05-19-2001, 03:29 AM
Perfect.. thanks http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

aly
05-19-2001, 12:12 PM
I'm using the Continental Quikpak service. If anyone else needs to ship a pet, I have read a lot of good things about this service. I will let you know how it works for me.

nsweezie
05-19-2001, 06:04 PM
On this same note, I may be moving in the near future, would it be wiser to take my two cats in the car with me (will be a 2-3 day drive) or have them shipped by plane to me when I get there? Which would be less stressful?
Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!

aly
05-20-2001, 11:02 AM
I would probably say to take them with you but it depends on your cats. How are they in the car? I would just be paranoid that something might happen to the plane or someone might do something. Of course I have an overactive imagination and I'm convinced my house is going to burn down every time I'm away.

4 feline house
05-20-2001, 11:19 AM
If you take them with you, you have to be prepared. Find out which motel chains take pets (Motel 6 does, if you don't mind a "bare bones" stay, and alot of Red Roof Inns do, too), have crates large enough for them to move around in and shield them from the sun shining in the windows. Even in an airconditioned car, if the sun is beating down on them or their crate they can overheat quickly. Get them used to harnesses or be prepared to have them use litter boxes in their crates (which will mean scoops, plastic bags, and lots of air freshener! Although they'll likely hold it until you get a room for the night. If the harnesses are no problem, then be sure and stop every few hours and let them stretch their legs, but only if they are used to their harnesses, because if they struggle they may work loose and escape. The really tricky part is meals, because you won't be able to leave them in the car while you go in somewhere and eat. Even with the windows cracked they will overheat quickly. So you will have to pack lunches and do drive through or only eat once you have a room. Once you have a room, you have to be very careful coming in and out because they may dart out the door. And it's best to crate them up first thing in the morning, because the commotion of packing up may send them under the bed, and you may have a difficult time retrieving them.

Travelling with cats can be done safely, but it does take some advance preparation.

nsweezie
05-20-2001, 06:08 PM
My cat Scooter actually likes riding in the car, so I think that I will be taking him with me when I drive.
Clyde on the other hand HATES driving. I am seriously considering putting him on a plane. Has anyone had experience with this? I have read that you may want to sedate the cat, but I have also read that this is not wise, as the cat may get banged around in his carrier, since he is sedated.
Thanks for any advise!