PDA

View Full Version : My Jasper Is Home, My Jasper Is Home!!!

Jasper's Mom
06-14-2001, 08:49 AM
I was intently writing an important letter. My phone rang over and over with calls for the "car for sale" ad my son put in the paper. He wasn't home, so I had to deal with it. More irritated with every interruption, I impatiently said "hello" to another caller.

The man said, "I am Roy from the Hawaiian Humane Society and I have your Jasper." I stupidly, in tears already, said, "Are you sure?" He actually got off the line to check again and came back to say yes.

After almost three months, I had begun to give up hope that he was alive.

He said he would hold him at receiving if I came soon, and I told him I'm on my way, abandoning my letter. Grabbing his carrier I was out the door in a flash, calling one of my sons on the way. I couldn't believe it and feared it was a mistake. I had to talk to myself for I was a wreck, heart pounding, tears flowing, slow down, pay attention to your driving!

Arriving I was greeted by two ladies who avoided eye contact. I waited several minutes, the only one waiting at the counter, and finally one lady, running her hand through her hair, over and over, tersly asked what I wanted. I told her of the call to my house. She yelled through an almost totally closed door, to Roy, "bring that black cat". Poor lady, having a bad day?

She handed me a card about being a good neighbor, keeping my cat indoors because my neighbor has a right to trap nuisance cats. She never asked, didn't care, but her card had nothing to do with Jasper. I told her I didn't need it. I only know the contents of the card because I read it hours later.

Roy, a young man, somehow a familiar face, came out with a carrier and a big smile. I looked in the door and said, "Jasper?" to a black kitty. He raised his big round yellow eyes to me and meowed, revealing the white tuft just under his chin. MY JASPER!! Roy asked if I needed help, I declined and opened the door. He turned around and I had to dislodge him he was so scared. He melted in my arms, I looked at his tummy markings and felt his back, right down to his STUB TAIL, it was MY JASPER. I hugged him and cried, Roy smiled. The two ladies sullenly ignored me. I told Roy I had a lost report there with pictures and he said he hadn't checked it. He called me just because of the AVID chip information. Twice requesting an update from the HHS on Jasper's chip after he disappeared, I had finally called directly to the company, and they were more than happy to update phone numbers and other information.

I put Jasper in his crate, asking how he came to be there. Mz Grumpy, since I shouldn't post her true name, said she wouldn't tell me anything except that he was trapped in Hawaii Kai. This is an area many miles from my house. She admitted he was probably trapped for being a problem animal and dumped in that area. I said no, he was trapped for revenge by someone from another area, involved in a traffic accident in front of my house, angry at us, and dumped by them there. Everyone knows cats in our neighborhood, everyone was looking for him, and no other cat but mine was missing. I am immensely grateful to the person who he eventually did become a problem to, so they brought him or even trapped him and took him there. He was probably asking someone for help and they listened, whether they know it or not. I wanted to reward the person but she wouldn't tell me anything more. Later I read the release form and it revealed the street where he was found, a long, long way from home, down a long road that is a prime dumping area.

He is constantly interrupting this writing for reassurance and affetion.

Everyone came into my bedroom to see him, excited and tears flowing. He remembered all of us, doing head butts to all, which used to be reserved for me and my son's girlfriend Carly. Now he gives them freely all day long.

He had a rough night, his first night home. He paced, cried, ate fractically every few minutes, and needed to be touched all the time. He drank his bowl of water I offered and later when I opened the bathroom door he bolted in, jumped onto the toilet seat, and drank for over 2 minutes. I realized he was severely dehydrated. I got the call in mid afternoon and he never used the litter box until almost 24 hours later.

When he arrived, besides being scared, his fur looked very scruffy. Today it looks better, probably because of the water rehydration and from our petting him so much. He has a fresh long cut below one eye, with hair gone and a few more other spots like it. Bumps along one side of his neck, probably scabs from injuries. He drooled whenever we petted him, a sign of deep stress he usually reserves for the vet. Today he has stopped that and seems more relaxed.

When he lays next to me, which is most of the time, I can feel the bumps on his backbone, the hip bones protruding, and his ribs too. His head and legs look too big for his shrunken body.

This "never in your lap" cat now comes up behind me in my desk chair, pushes his head under my right arm, crawls onto my lap and then onto my chest, making me stop and pay attention to him. What a change. I got him a collar with a bell today. Then we can hear him if he nears a door. I won't let him go out now. I can't go through that again, and he isn't safe outside anymore. He only used to go out to potty and for short periods when I was outside, but no more. He never left the yard, was always with me and the dogs, and neighbors even said they had never seen him outside our yard and usually with us. A potty break into a trap I fear, which are given out freely by HHS, to anyone who asks, and no questions, no names. Just bring the cats in they say. And the State pays for all destroyed cats. Nice way to make money.

Jasper goes into the vet in just a few hours, for a day of observation and testing, then home again to my room. Depending on the outcome of the vet visit, he will be reintroduced to Moses, my lively 1 yr old Golden Retriever, and then our little feral rescue kitten, Eli, who is our home entertainment system. Jasper remembered my dog Sandy and they have been keeping each other company. Now when I leave my room, he cries and cries until I return. Seems he wants the new name Shadow, joke-joke.

I waited a day to tell everyone, for I was exhausted from the experience and my eyes burned, and he needed me. Hopefully he will be well again. All his shots were current. And he eats all the time, I think just because it's there and he can.

Five days before I brought him home, I had a dream that he had come home, I picked him up and carried him into the house. Well, dreams do come true. He is weary, but safe, my Jasper is home again.

Cougie Wechsler
06-14-2001, 09:12 AM
I am so HAPPY for you and Jasper. Your story has made my day! God Bless both of you and the other members of your fur family!

Logan
06-14-2001, 09:25 AM
What a tremendous story! I am so happy that you had him microchipped. It should serve as a reminder to all of us to have it done, even if we don't think it will ever be needed.

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face because I can remember the terrible emotions of losing a cat, and felt the same emotions so strongly through your earlier messages. And you have a good ending to your story. I'm so, so happy for you. Your prayers have been answered....and hopefully the rest of us praying helped a little bit too. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Can you believe it??? I am so, so happy for you!! Have a wonderful weekend with your newly found boy, Jasper!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Karen
06-14-2001, 09:26 AM
Yay! Hallalujah! Miracles happen! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Oh, Jasper, welcome back home, I bet that was a scary scary time away! Welcome home with big hugs and tummy rubs!!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

margaret
06-14-2001, 09:46 AM
OH MY GOSH!!! When I saw the heading "My Jasper Is Home, My Jasper Is Home!!!", I couldn't believe it! Could it be true? My jaw dropped open. WOW YAY HOORAY!!! I'm SOOOO HAPPY about this wonderful news, Jasper's Mom! It has made my day. I had been so very sad for you when Jasper disappeared and you tried so hard to find him, never giving up. I'm so glad you never gave up! Your (and our) prayers were answered and your long-lost friend has come home at last. And HE sounds so happy to be home, too! HOORAY!!! Let's have a WELCOME HOME PARTY!! Hooray!! Yes, please post pictures, if/when you can. Good luck at the vet's today! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/jump.gif

--Margaret

Gio
06-14-2001, 10:06 AM
This is the piece of news I got all week. I can't even tell how pleased I am for you. Poor thing I don't even want to think what he had to go through. But the most important thing is that he is safely home now. Please let us know what the vet says.

So welcome home Jasper! Give him tons of kisses from me.

Freckles
06-14-2001, 10:34 AM
I got a cold chill when I saw that title. Such wonderful news! Karen, you beautifully describe Jasper's increased show of affection and I'm wondering does he purr, too?
And I can remove the word "missing" from the Pet Talk list.

sammi
06-14-2001, 11:28 AM
That is the best news!!! So happy that Jasper is back home with you. Yes, miracles do happen. Hope all goes well @ the vet.

AdoreMyDogs
06-14-2001, 11:45 AM
I never posted because I did not know what to say. I was so sad for you and I hoped so badly that Jasper would be found, but I lost a cat when I was a child, he was the most perfect, symectrical (his black and white patterns were absolutely perfectly uniform)tuxedo who was so friendly and cuddly and floppy with his family but skiddish around strangers. Weestee darted out of the door one night...his first time out, and that was it. That was over 10 years ago and we have not seen him since. I did not want to scare you or give you false hope, but I must say this is one of the happiest stories I have EVER read! It was so very sad when you first lost Jasper, I felt your pain and felt the helplesness you felt. I have tears of happiness falling down my cheeks from reading your delightful post. Don't let my user name fool you, I am an all around animal lover, both dogs AND cats and I am thrilled to pieces at the reunion of you and that treasure named Jasper. You are so lucky to have him back, I am so, so happy for you. Thanks for one of the best stories I have read. If you were to send in that story to a publisher of a book of collected short stories similar to "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" that story would be published, and it might make people think twice about letting their cats outside without a collar and name tags...or even letting them outside at all!

Yeah for happy endings!

gini
06-14-2001, 12:29 PM
With tears running down my cheeks I have read your story of Jasper's return. My heart lept with joy to read that you found him.

My first cat, Sugar was missing for only one night. I know that I didn't sleep and you could find me walking the neighborhood at all hours looking for him. A neighbor had taken him in and returned him to me in the morning. I know what I went through in just those 24 hours - I cannot imagine what it was like for you for such a long time.

All of us shout with joy and celebrate his return. Give him absolutely anything he wants!!

AmberLee
06-14-2001, 12:52 PM
Dear Jasper and Mom,

We are so thrilled for you. What wonderful news. It's wonderful. Holding Jasper in my thoughts and prayers that the vet visit goes well.

A.L. and the fur-kids

Freckles
06-14-2001, 03:32 PM
Usually when I return to a topic to see the new posts, I just scroll to the bottom. But for this topic, I find myself rereading Jasper's Mom entire first post.It's such a wonderful story. Does anyone else do this?

nsweezie
06-14-2001, 05:45 PM
This has made my whole day! I was so sad when I heard about Jasper being missing, it is so awful when that happens.
I opened up the active topics for today, and this jumped out at me! I am so happy for you and also for Jasper.

Pam
06-14-2001, 06:02 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the title of this topic!! Thank God you have your baby back! I can only imagine what you and Jasper have gone through being apart so long. This is the nicest story I have ever read on Pet Talk. Miracles do happen!! I subscribe to a site called Pet Warmers. It has the nicest stories but I think this one beats them all! I can't put into words how happy I am for you both!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

auggie
06-14-2001, 07:23 PM
I can't believe it. This is the most wonderful News. I am so happy for you and Jasper. Please keep us updated. How relieved you must be after all this Time.

4 feline house
06-14-2001, 08:00 PM
I don't think there's a dry eye in Pet Talk land tonight. I haven't been on Pet Talk all day, having gone out for lunch at work today, but it was fixing to storm and a blackout last night nearly fried my 'puter, so I thought I'd at least get some email answered before having to shut off the machine. I was reading Pam's email which ended "Isn't that great about Jasper coming home?" I shouted out loud "Oh my God" and clicked my shortcut, went right to Cat Rescue, and there it was! Bless Jasper's little kitty heart, you know all that time he was wondering what in the world could have happended to his loving, comfortable world. I can't believe the evil in this world, that someone would steal a cat for revenge! Thank you, thank you God for the happy ending to all our prayers! I second Spencer's suggestion about kitten food. I'm so happy I could bust! My kitties will get extra scritchies in honor of Jasper tonight!

aly
06-14-2001, 10:33 PM
My mouth has been wide open for 5 minutes. The tears are just flowing now. I can't even express to you how happy I am. I don't frequent the cat side of Pet Talk because I usually don't have enough time. I check occasionally and I knew about Jasper being missing. I always felt so bad but I always had some kind of feeling that he would come home. I remember wondering if he would get along with Eli. You are the best mom for not giving up on your baby. I'm sure Jasper is so happy to be back in your loving family. I just can't tell you how happy this makes me. I had such a hard, sad day at the shelter and also not having my foster baby anymore... and I get to come home and read this. This is the absolute best story I've heard here at Pet Talk. I agree that it should be published in a book. It is stories like this that fuel me to get me through the emotionally hard times of rescue and shelter work. Jasper had an angel watching over him. I can't even imagine going through what you went through for three months. You stayed strong and brave and it paid off. You are Jasper are destined to be together for the rest of his life. Words just cannot express how glad I am you two found each other again.

P.S. I'm going to try to keep up with the cat posts too. I can't miss out on stuff like this!

aly
06-15-2001, 01:19 AM
Yes.. thanks for reminding me. I am trying to get in the habit of doing that. That will help a lot actually http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Helen
06-15-2001, 05:37 AM
Absolutely brilliant for you! It just shows how we should never give up hope. Have a lovely weekend!

------------------
Helen

Jasper's Mom
06-15-2001, 07:52 AM
Overwhelmed is not even a word that adequately expresses my feelings when I came on tonight. In a fog from a long afternoon and evening of sleep, I read each post over and over, drinking in the loving, caring compassion coming from all of you about my Jasper's return. Today I mentioned to a couple people that he was home again, and one said, "Yeah" and the second person actually told me I was spending too much time on this "cat stuff". I thought oops, guess it means more to me than others. Sooo...I was unprepared for your extraordinary love and good wishes that have flowed in streams through my screen to Jasper and me. I am in tears again. You are all so precious, sweet and kind hearted, understanding and knowing how I really have felt and feel now with his return. So many are sharing my deep feelings of joy and wonder at his return, true caring people, loving furbabies like I do. I'm not alone in my tearful joy. You understand. So many have shared the same loss, grief and pain. Thank you for caring, for sharing your feelings with me, and most of all, thank you for your prayers. You must always keep in mind that your prayers helped to bring Jasper home. Not only did he have an angel looking out for him, he had all of you for his guardian angels too. Our prayers are answered, he is home, he is home, I missed him so much.

After two restless nights, and up early to drop him off at the vet, I was so tired, but kept really busy so I didn't think of him...but it didn't work. They said at first that they might have to give him IV fluids and observe him overnight, but he improved some while there and no fluids were needed. I got a call in late afternoon that he could come home.

They said he is Feline HIV and Leukemia free. No Upper Respiratory problems. Other blood work was sent to a lab. For his kidneys, diseases from cat fights and other things. Results tomorrow. My vet said his facial cut and neck injuries are definitely from fighting, maybe for his life. He got a flea dose as he had a couple fleas. Being so dark they are hard to see but he is scratching some. So far no fleas in my bed.

Jasper was classified as "dull" in his responses to the vet. He never cried once while he was there. This is not his usual self. He has lost more than 2 lbs, a lot for a guy who only weighed 11.7 lbs to begin with. Other than being extremely thin, he has a broken tooth, but it's not giving him any pain and should be fine.

He is due for his yearly vaccinations in July, and the vet said absolutely none for now. He needs time to recover, and it would be hard on him right now and also not be effective. He is to be isolated for another 48 hrs before saying hello to his brothers so he can gain more strength. They said he would not have lasted another month out on his own. Big sign of relief tonight. Fingers crossed, prayers said for his lab results tomorrow.

When I picked Jasper up he was very quiet. Another man in the waiting room was bringing in a cat he had trapped. Very pretty light creme color and soft striping. He quietly admitted he feeds feral cats and brought this one in because it seems sweet and tame, although sick, and hopefully has an owner somewhere. So many caring cat lovers I run into every day, trying to help the helpless. But they are not the norm. He said at the site where he feeds cats, he found a man and his child throwing rocks at the cats. He asked him what he was doing and the response was, oh nothing, we're just throwing rocks at the cats. He blew up at them, and said he would like to have thrown rocks at the father. What a thing to teach your child. And I am thinking now,
I know where there are a lot of people out of the norm, loving animals, at PET TALK, Yeah!

As soon as I stopped the car, Jasper started crying and crying and bumping around in his crate. Sandy happily greeted him at the door and I took him to Moses to say hi. Jasper was quiet but Moses was so excited and wanted a closer look. I placed his carrier in front of the kitty condo, where Eli spends time when I'm gone or asleep, and Eli came to the door, so quiet, just watching and curious. Jasper kept on crying the low cry of "Out, please!". When I had put Eli's brother in the same spot when he stayed here for a while before his new home, Eli hissed and growled at him. He did not respond the same to Jasper. Hope for a good friendship?? We'll see sometime late Saturday. I can hardly wait.

If anyone has not had their pet microchipped yet, please get it done as soon as you can. If it wasn't for the microchip, he would probably have been put to sleep already, and I would never, ever have known. You don't want that pain. Do it, please, just in case.

In my room all he wanted was food, food, food, although they said he ate while at the vet. Starving guy. Amazingly, his gobbling has slowed down tonight. He is leveling out, maybe realizing that food will always be here, because this is home.

He seems to be telling me he's going to be ok. He says he didn't know how good he had it until mommy and home were gone and he was lost and no one was nice to him, and those other cats hated him too. He was so scared and lonely. He says, I love you Mommy, love me some more. He says he likes freedom outside but likes home, food and loving even better. He cuddled with me after he ate, and we both fell asleep for hours. Tonight he is relaxed, calm and not as frantic for attention as before. But he still often reaches for me, stretched out, standing on the floor on his hind legs, or lying in bed, touching me with his paw, talking to me. Mommy, I'm home, love me some more. While we slept, he stuck right next to me, and I often roused with the kneading he did on my bare legs and arms and through my clothes. I just smiled and drifted off again, loving it.

Jasper's purr machine has always had a low volume level, but when he crawls up to my face, rubbing me and meowing, I only have to touch him and I feel his happiness vibrating strongly. He is totally ignoring his new collar, something he normally would have fought to take off instantly. Maybe he feels his bell is his badge of courage for fighting the fight for life and surviving. I have a form to get Eli a tiny name tag, and now Jasper will get one too. Wish we had the great pet stores you have there, like PetSmart (is that right?). I see ads on tv but they haven't crossed the big ocean yet. They show products for sale and a cute one with someone taking home a young dog, and first thing it wets on the floor, tears up his cds, the couch, the curtains, and then, PetSmart to the rescue with training classes.

I will try kitten food for Jasper and the cream cheese. I know he'll like that. Boy, if he gets too spoiled I'll have to feed him gourmet food the rest of his life. When he has his 6th birthday in August, I will surely celebrate this year. Maybe a tuna or salmon birthday cake with cream cheese frosting??

My son bought me a new digital camera a couple weeks ago to use for pet pictures so I can post them. I have no idea how to use it yet, but I will figure it out. I have a printer/scanner but can't put regular photos through it. A flat scanner also, not hooked up. I'm going to get this all set up and try to get it going so everyone can see Jasper, before, after coming home, and well again, and the rest of his furbrothers. But not me, ugh!! I so enjoy all the pictures everyone shares and have been jealous I'm computer stupid and haven't figured it out yet. Now I have an important reason to get going.

Jasper is still not a lap kitty, but now is my "chest kitty". He wants my attention and I have just given him a spoonful of vanilla ice cream to keep him busy. Oops, it's gone.

Submit to pet stories, Chicken Soup for the Soul series, wow, that's a stretch for me. I partially wrote a story about a dog I rescued years ago, but thought no one would be interested. I never thought of Jasper's story. I have to think on that one. Do they take long manuscripts. I know, only short stories. Thank you for saying all the nice things, for this isn't really a story, but Jasper's This Is Your Life.

Tomorrow I am going to make up thank you flyers for my neighbor's mailboxes and to post on poles near apartment buildings where people who called me live. So many were supportive and searching for him. I will then make a different poster to put on poles in Hawaii Kai, on the street where he was found, thanking the person who turned him in. And write to a couple columns that accept good samaritian letters. Like my need to search in every corner for Jasper, I need to thank his rescurer (whether they meant good or bad for him) and get the word out of lost pets so more will be educated. Turn the bad into good.

Thank you all for your prayers, tears and words of affection for my Jasper. My heart is warm and light again with him home and with your warm WELCOME HOME messages. Truly, this has been a time of suffering, for Jasper in his struggle to survive, and for me in my search for him and education of the perils and concerns for feral and lost cats all around me. The physical, emotional and financial pains of what has happened, just for revenge, should be a lesson for all. But who will learn, only those who already have gotten this message. Those that need to learn and know will continue to abuse the precious animals arond them. Jasper is home, my family is all together again, but I will continue to help cats lonely and lost. For Jasper.

Thank you all, my dear friends,
Jasper's Mom

Gio
06-15-2001, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the update, I am so happy that Jasper did not catch anything horrible when he was out there.

I can't wait to see the pictures...

Take care
Gio

bugmom
06-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Tissue! i need a tissue!! I am soooo very glad that Jasper is home and safe and purring with you again. I know first hand how it feels to have a cat dissappear (after 5years mine still hasn't return - but i keep hoping!) Oh you must be soooo full of every feeling....and fur up to nose it sounds like!
I can't believe i missed this yesterday! this is just tooooo great. i'm gusshing nonsense now i'm sure but i'm just so happy for you!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Give Jasper headbutts from us! and a gentle ear skretch too... oh gosh more tissue!!!!!

AmberLee
06-15-2001, 12:22 PM
I'm 'crying for happy' all over again. So glad the results are so good so far.

Cassy was chipped in kittenhood (as was his rainbow bridge brother, Sassy). I've got an appointment for Olivia upcoming, just couldn't afford it when I got her at tax time. Thanks for the reminder.

So glad your Jasper is home and healthy.

RachelJ
06-15-2001, 03:57 PM
Just found this post. Karen mentioned in one of the posts on the Dog Board that Jasper was home and I couldn't believe it was true, came running over here lickity split. Prayers are answered. This is so wonderful. You need to direct the Dog People over here as I think there might be others who missed this news, and this is Not news to miss.

AdoreMyDogs
06-15-2001, 11:04 PM
Jasper's mom: I want to let you know that every time I read only the topic: My Jasper Is Home, My Jasper Is Home!!! I shed tears. I have already told you once before, but my gosh am I so touched by this whole topic and I feel honored to know about such a perfect story as this one. And there is so emotion in just the topic title that even without opening it up and reading all of the posts I get teary eyed and I start sniffling and smiling at the same time. Just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed the reunion story and I think you should think about submitting it to one of the "Chicken Soup" books. I am so glad Jasper made it out OK at the vet office. An absolutely perfect happy ending http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif snif snif

Jasper's Mom
06-15-2001, 11:16 PM
After a nervous wait, my vet finally called with good news. Jasper's lab results came out just fine. The only thing of significance is a spiked enzyme level that suggests soft tissue damage, usually she said, the result of getting hit by a car. It is possible he had been hit although she said the rest of his face and right eye are fine. He also shows high levels suggesting he is suffering from what is referred to as post traumatic stress. It also manifests itself in his dull or depressed demeanor and his occasional staring into space, looking like he is far off deep in thought. It might also be from the damage to the right side of his face but she doesn't think so. She feels with time and TLC he will bounce back. She recommends slow introductions back into the family and quiet time in my room.

Today Jasper is very quiet, and not as much staring into space. Still wants lots of contact, but has stopped the crying and crying for it. His hoarse voice is back to his sweet soft mews, as he talks to me. As I softly whisper his name, he leans into me, showing how happy he is to hear my voice speak his name once again.

Jasper's vet (for cats only) mentioned that in her experience, it isn't often that lost cats return home after a long period. She only had one other return after a six month period, again a disappearance from one area and a find in a distant area. She remembers Jasper coming in as a tiny kitten with his tail stripped of skin and fur, and was the one to give him his 1" stub tail. I told her it was his most outstanding physical feature and the one that assured me it was truly him.

I mentioned to the vet that I knew some really wonderful and kind people with lots of furbabies on Pet of the Day, and how understanding, helpful and supportive everyone has been from the time of his disappearance through the long search. I told of your blessings and prayers and joyful messages upon his return. She was really interested and thinks all of you on Pet Talk are GREAT!

But the word is, never give up. Look at the cat who was found in Portland, Oregon, after being lost for years. Now that was extra-ordinary. Not sure where to find it again, maybe someone else does in case newcomers would like to read it.

Don't we all wish cats (and dogs) could talk??!!

Thanks all you PetoftheDay/PetTalk moms and dads, for being there for me,
Jasper's Mom

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited June 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited June 16, 2001).]

Daisy's Mom
06-15-2001, 11:35 PM
Okay I know I am a "Dog Board" person but I just had to say I am glad Jasper is home and okay! Welcome home Jasper!!!

Freckles
06-16-2001, 01:24 AM
Karen, you should reread:
Cats, General, Never lose Hope - Cat found 9 years later. The link to the original story no longer works, but there are some new posts there!

[This message has been edited by Freckles (edited June 16, 2001).]

tatsxxx11
06-17-2001, 08:03 AM
I can't believe it. No, I can. OMG! OMG! Crying, crying crying! Oh, what joy!!! A miracle! Oh Jasper, Jasper, Jasper. Brave, beautiful Jasper Boy! Oh, thank God. Oh how happy, how shocked how exhausted you all must be! Oh, Japser, Welcome Home! Finally a wonderfully, incredibly, magnificently happy ending! I can't talk. Oh, how wonderful. Heal well Jasper. Your mama's there to keep you safe and loved FOREVER! We ALL love you. I couldn't be happier for you all! YEAH!!!!!! Miracles do happen! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Love to all of you....Sandra

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 17, 2001).]

wolflady
06-18-2001, 04:37 PM
LOL LOL tats, once again you say exactly what I am feeling!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I was so happy to see that Jasper made it home! I've been away from Pet Talk a lot lately due to work, so I've missed a lot of the goings on! This was truely a blessing and such a happy ending! I'm so glad for that! Many many hugs to Jasper and his mom and everyone here on Pet Talk! Prayers have been answered, and the support of wonderful people is truely a blessing in and of itself. Now, if only Jasper could talk and tell his tale to the rest of us about when he'd been doing all that time.....???!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

thelmalu99
06-18-2001, 05:12 PM
Oh my gosh, I just wanted to say that I'm sooooo happy that you have your Jasper back! Poor baby! I can't stop the tears! I can't believe I didn't see this post before!
Welcome home Jasper!
I'm so happy for you!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Edwina's Secretary
06-20-2001, 10:44 AM
Edwina was chipped at the shelter before she came home. We have moved and changed phone numbers since then. Even though she is an indoor cat I would like to make sure info is correct just in case. Do I call the shelter?? or you mentioned a company?

I too have followed Jasper's saga and am speechless with tearful relief at his return!

Jasper's Mom
06-20-2001, 07:49 PM
UPDATE ON JASPER:

With Jasper's return came changes in our house. A shift to graveyard for one son, another son capturing my computer and me painting throughout the house, leaving little time to visit Pet Talk. The only quiet place is in my room, where Jasper, the computer and the only air conditioner are. So graveyard son sleeps days in my room. Jasper loves the full time company but still crys and wants lots of attention when I enter the room. Between turning my computer on and getting to this topic, Jasper stood on his hind legs, tapping me on my left arm, three different times, asking to sit on my chest. He always has tapped me for attention ever since he was little, but NEVER wanted to snuggle before he was lost. So we sat and hugged, loved and spoke of kitty things a while before I could start this.

For updating ID chips, first call the shelter, or vet, where the chip was inserted as they may be able to do an information update. Do you have a certificate with the ID chip number? It makes it easier. If not, the place the chip was inserted might do it with just your name. All places are different. The least they can do is tell you the brand name of the ID chip so you can find a company number to call. Jasper has an AVID chip and the company number to call for lost animals or information update is, 1-800-336-2843. They were very nice and helpful. Anyone who needs to update addresses or phone numbers on their pet's ID chip should do it right away. Of all the things I did, posters, talking to people, and mailings, in the end for Jasper, nothing but prayer and the young man Roy, scanning Jasper's AVID chip, brought him home. His AVID chip and GOD!

Jasper is feeling much better the last two days. He still eats like crazy but happily uses his litter box more often now. He seems to be filling out a little as his backbone and ribs are not as pronounced when we pet him. He spends the night and a lot of the day in my room still, giving him respite from the painting mess and noise. He enjoys Sandy and Moses coming into the room to cruise with him. Lots of licks from the dogs and rubs from Jasper.

He gets to go into the rest of the house in the quieter times of the evening, having the run of the house. His constant door and window patrols persist, but last night he finally gave up for a while and snoozed in one of the rooms.

He has been introduced now to Eli, (my formerly feral whirling monster), a really interesting time for me. My granddaughter wanted to watch but I made her stay in the next room, lifting the glass paned door curtains so she could check out the action. We used my youngest son's room to keep my room as Jasper's refuge if he wanted. The rooms are connected and I expected Jasper to race back to safety. He didn't.

Jasper came into the room first, jumping up on the bed, making himself at home. I opened the other door, letting a curious and spunky Eli in. I made sure he'd had a lot of play before to wear him out a little. Jasper immediately started a low growl and some fantastic opened mouth, fangs showing, hissing. Wow, that's new too. Must have learned that great style out in the wilds. I sat near Jasper, petting him, softly telling him it's ok. Eli knows his name and I talked softly to him too to reassure him. Eli pranced around, hopping sideways, attacking little things (as all young mens rooms have). Jasper just watched. For the first time he did not focus on the window which features "birds all day", where he usually sits licking his chops over and over.

He turned his head to watch Eli. Wow, that's great. That Eli is one spunky, and fearless guy, wrestling with the dogs and now with his delightful and happy spirit, is cheerfully, with no hissing or growling, enticing Jasper into liking him. He darted in and out of the blowing window curtain low to the ground, sometimes popping up at the curtain edge next to the bed. Those little eyes peeking out, to spy on Jasper, and Jasper growls and hisses at him but doesn't move. In and out, darting around the bed in mock attack at the bed skirt. More hissing from Jasper, and oh great teeth.

After a few minutes, brave little Eli decided it's time to attack the top edge of the bed, popping up so Jasper doesn't know where he's coming from. Each time he's hissed and growled at. I'm sitting at the back of the bed now, ready to burst at Eli's attempts to tease Jasper. No growl, hiss or batting on Eli's part. I realized Jasper was aloof, but actually was enjoying and being entertained by Eli. I finally had to get up to tell my granddaughter to stop tapping on the glass, distracting the cats. I grabbed a chair, sat near the door, and turned to see that in those short moments, with Jasper watching me at the door, that tiny, just over 2 lbs Eli, has snuck up the back side of the bed and his nose and paws were now only four inches from Jasper's back feet.

Jasper suddenly spotted Eli, rose slightly, growling and hissing. I was so afraid tiny Eli would be injured. Eli slowly rolled onto his back, wiggling all four legs in an act of play, slightly reaching towards Jasper. It was such a sweet attempt at friendship, his tummy exposed to Jasper. But he realized it wasn't working, and rolled back over and was quiet. Moments later, Jasper sunk back down, although his round yellow "headlight eyes" (as my son calls them) were beaming down on Eli. Eli knew not to move. He just lay there very still, watching Jasper back. Finally Jasper grew quiet, would look away slightly, and finally, looked towards me. Eli stayed where he was too. I was frozen in the chair, not wanting to break the spell. My granddaughter at the door was watching with excitement in her eyes. We waited. For almost five minutes by the clock near us, we were transfixed by the scene. Finally Eli took the first step again, reaching one tiny paw slowly towards Jasper, and Jasper immediately said, enough. He hissed and backed up a little. Eli decided he'd tried hard enough for one day, and with ears back, backed up himself until he finally was more than a foot away, and he hopped off the bed. Whew, the first encounter was over. I personally think it was a big success.

This afternoon we try again. Jasper used to have a kitty brother when he was little, but he escaped out a partly open window one pouring down, stormy night and disappeared. We fostered a cat once for a year, but Jasper has not been around cats at home for two years now. After the cats he met in the wild, he's probably expecting to be attacked. Time will bond my two kitty boys. Eli has the innocent determination to get along, and Jasper, after his rough time, is just a big faker. I feel in my heart they will, in a fairly short time, be best buds. Thank you Lord.

I appreciate and again thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. With many around me not understanding my feelings for Jasper, it does my heart good, and I feel like I have true friends in you who think and feel as I do. Thank you for always being there for me.

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited June 20, 2001).]