PDA

View Full Version : In Remembrance

K9soul
10-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Today it has been one year to the day that my grandpa passed away. You know how you read sometimes how a period of mourning lasts "a year and a day." I never really understood the significance of that when I was younger, but now I do. Every season's turn and every holiday of that first year, it's the first time without that person. My first birthday to pass without him calling, the first Christmas without him, the first spring... and now it has come full turn. Today it feels almost as if it were a year ago and it hurts. I don't ever want to have a birthday or Christmas go by without thinking of him..

He was a lot more than a grandpa to me, he was a dad to me in a lot of ways. My parents divorced when I was a baby. Mom moved away, and my real dad wanted nothing more to do with me and I never saw him again. It was my grandpa who bought me my first fishing rod and took me camping and fishing, taught me to love music and dance, had me read to him when I first learned how, and so much more. He was a jeweler and he made our wedding bands when David and I were married. It was the last jewelry project he completed, as his health deteriorated too much after that.

His favorite song was Stranger on the Shore by Acker Bilk, and though his health was too poor to come to Minnesota when I was married, we had Stranger on the Shore played at our reception for a special dance honoring him. My Mom called him on her cell phone so he could hear the song and know the dance was for him.

I wish I could say how much he meant to me, how much he still does, but there are no words. The closest I've come was the poem I wrote to him when I was 17. I've been working on a memorial page for him today. It's nothing elaborate and I actually want to add more in time.

I'm not looking for responses with this really, I know it can be hard to know what to say to something like this. I just felt a need to put my feelings down. I needed to tell others about my grandpa and how special he was to me, and how much I miss him.

The page I'm working on is Here (http://www.doordolt.com/jess/repratka.html)

PJ's Mom
10-02-2004, 02:40 PM
How wonderful it is for you to do something like this for him. It's great for you to be able to share him and how wonderful he was with the rest of the world. :)

carole
10-02-2004, 02:42 PM
What a lovely tribute to this special person in your life, thank you so much for sharing.

tatsxxx11
10-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Jess, your grandpa was just as lucky to have you as his grandaughter as you were to have him. I'm so sorry you no longer have him with you. But I'll bet he's looking down on you right now, sending you his love and comfort, so proud to call you his grandaughter. I too love that song, Stranger on the Shore. It brought tears to my eyes, picturing him on the phone, listening to that song as you danced your first dance...What a beautiful tribute you have written to this very special man and we thank you so much for sharing him with us. My thoughts are with you Jess. {{{HUGS}}} Love, Sandra

I just looked at your memorial page, Jess. What a handsome man he was. Your beautiful poem brought tears to my eyes, Jess. Again, he was so lucky to have had such a lovng and caring grandaughter:)

K9soul
10-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Thank you for your heartfelt words. I know with so many sad things going on around us all the time, it can be hard to share in everyone's grief, but if even one person looks at my grandpa or hears about him and is impressed by his warm smile and loving deeds, then I feel I'm doing some justice to an incredibly wonderful man. I wish I could really relate all the things he's done, from serving in World War II to winning an award for heroism when he faced a bank robber who tried to use him as a hostage to get away safely, and he got the gun away from the man. He later found out the man had killed a person in the past.

He was so social and charismatic, he could make a friendship sitting on a bus with a stranger that lasted for years afterward. He was the kindest, warmest hearted person imaginable. I guess it is natural to sit here and wish I had told him more about how special he was to me and how much he meant to me.. but it's still hard.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-03-2004, 12:57 AM
That's a beautiful page, Jess. Your poem was great, too.

He sounds like he was a wonderful, amazing person, and he was lucky to have someone like you in his life. :)

lynnestankard
10-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Jess what a lovely rememberance for a very special person - your Grandpa. Alas you've found the truth of mourning a loved one - it doesn't 'go away' at all. Hopefully, the pain will lessen as years go by.
But be prepared - suddenly a piece of music, their birthday, the anniversary of the day they died, someone who walks like them - the list is endless - and you're broken hearted again and again and again.
I think your Grandpa was such a lucky, loved man to have such a loving Grand-daughter. I think he's looking down and smiling at you right now - how proud he is. xxx
{{{Hugs}}} across the miles Jess - thank you for sharing this with us - we feel honoured.

Lynne xx

popcornbird
10-05-2004, 02:16 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I just came across it and had to reply. What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather, who was obviously, a very special person in your life. May the wonderful memories of his life be with your forever. {{{hugs}}}

ramanth
10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Jess, what a wonderful tribute. Sounds like he was everything and more. *hugs*

My grandpa has been gone a little over 2 years now. And I still miss him greatly.

pitc9
10-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Jessica, that was wonderful!
Your poem was very touching!

I never had the chance to meet my dad's father. He was killed in a car accident before I was born.

You are lucky to have all the wonderful memories of him to hang on to for the rest of your life!