PDA

View Full Version : Is a cleaned-up 'shed cat' really clean?

StrayCat
10-02-2004, 02:13 PM
My 9-year-old son wants a cat. We were given a 10-week-old kitten from a small backyard storage shed. The mother, a house cat herself, has been staying outside with her litter. We brought it to the vet.

'She is a beige cds (common domestic shorthair) somewhat like a tabby. She was dirty, has ear mites, worms and fleas. I did touch her before we brought her to the vet, and once there, held her for him as well. Later, after reading of the harmful worms this cat may have had, I disinfected everything I could think of that we could have touched (from car seatbelts to doorknobs and light switches.

He treated her for fleas with some new product that he squirted on her neck, then a yellow pill to kill most worms, another pill for fleas and other parasites like ear mites (I think) and cleaned her ears by first squirting a yellowish liquid and then used Q-tips. He then clipped her nails, and she got her first shots and he told us to give her a bath before bringing her inside and to change her litter box after each dump for a couple of days. The next day, we bathed her with a bit of dish soap and warm water, then a good rinse.

How risky is it to have brought this cat in our home? My son wants him, but obviously, health issues come first. The vet said we would not find a cat with a better temperament at a pet store, and that she is now clean and safe. Should I remain cautious?

Thank you all for the help and advice you may offer me.

Stray Cat

Uabassoon
10-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Lots of people have brought in stray cats as pets and have been perfectly fine. I think you took all the proper procautions and it seems that everything that needs to be taken care of has. It sounds like she is ready to become an indoor cat and provide your son with lots of love and affection.

carole
10-02-2004, 02:26 PM
I agree, you have had all the check ups done, shots etc, and the vet has given you the go ahead, so yes I would think Kitty would be absolutely fine, and ready and waiting for lots of cuddles and pats, by the way WELCOME to PT, and hoping to hear lots more about your new addition, have you a name yet? or any pics to share with us?

StrayCat
10-02-2004, 02:30 PM
After reading about all the parasites a cat could have, I needed to feel that I had done enough, and I now do. Thank you Uabassoon for your assessment and reassurance.

StrayCat
10-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Thank you Carole. Wow this is such friendly, giving forum. I feel I will have all the support I will need here. Thanks.

Her name is Toulouse, pronounced 'too-LOOZ'. My son named her after one of the kittens in the animated movie 'Aristocats' (french version).

QueenScoopalot
10-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Welcome to Pettalk first off! I do extensive rescuing, and have taken hundreds of kittens and their moms off the streets over the years. I worm them right away providing they're healthy, which the majority are. If old enough I also do their first distemper shots. Fleas get treated with Advantage. Ridding animals of internal and external parasites is first and foremost, and you did all the right things for this baby! Let your son cuddle and kiss her all he wants...she's fine! Hope that the mom cat & the rest of the kitten's needs are addressed as well. A friendly cat shouldn't have to stay outside reproducing endlessly, nor should the other kittens stay outside getting wilder by the day. Hope someone takes the rest under their wing. :( Jan

carole
10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Kewl name, yes I remember that character in the film, I have the book as well.

I have been here nearly two years now, and I love it, its very addictive, be warned, but you will indeed enjoy your experience here, as much as we will enjoy getting to know you, your family and furbabies.

As you will see I am from NZ, the other side of the world, and we have people from Britain, Australia, Europe and of course lots of lovely Americans.

Whenever you need help, advice of any kind, even just re-assurance, a kind word or a laugh PT can offer you all those things, its a great place with great people.

P.S tell us more about yourself, where are you from?

Karen
10-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Everyone has given you all the advice you need, she sounds like a typical stray kitten, but with that vet trip and all the care you've given her, Toulouse should be fine, healthy, and attacking your feet in no time!

StrayCat
10-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Thank you, QueenScoopalot and also Karen.

Thank you all. You have certainly made me feel welcome.

I have posted a new thread asking for help on visually identifying indoor plants that would be toxic to Toulouse, and will be asking for links on making or buying safe toys for her as well.

See you soon,

Stray Cat

smokey the elder
10-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Congratulations on your kitten, and welcome to Pet Talk! Your kitten sounds like he was cleaned up as thoroughly as the characters in The Andromeda Strain . (am I dating myself or what...)