PDA

View Full Version : Supersize Me

christa
10-02-2004, 11:46 AM
I watched this documentary last night called "Supersize Me". It's out on video to rent now.

This guy, who was in PERFECT HEALTH, went on an ALL McDONALD'S DIET for 30 days to see what would happen.

He ate McDonalds 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wasn't allowed to eat anything else but McDonalds for 30 days. He was being monitored by 3 different doctors the whole time and a nutrition expert.

He gained 24 pounds, his organs started shutting down on him, his cholestrol went up 200 percent . . . he was on the brink of having a HEART ATTACK!!!

The strangest thing about the documentary . . . he put McDonald's sandwiches in glass containers during a period of time to see how they broke down over time . . . all of the sandwiches had turned to mush & mold by 10 weeks . . . but the FRIES that he'd put in a glass container . . . well, they looked FRESH!!! They hadn't spawned one single spore of mold in a 10 week time period!

GROSS!!!

Seriously, this is something EVERYONE needs to watch! It could REALLY improve your health & life.

Tonya
10-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I saw that at the store. I am going to have to rent it.

Uabassoon
10-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I remember reading about what he was doing before the documentary actually came out. It was playing at our independant theater a while ago and I wanted to see it but never got around to it. I think i need to run out and rent it soon, I'd really like to see it.

carole
10-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes I had heard about this documentary, I am not a big Mcdonalds fan, we only have it as a treat now and then, so I am not too worried, I am fully aware of the high fat content etc, I think subway would be a better option and one I prefer anyday.

christa
10-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah, we'd heard his story a few months back . . . had been waiting for it to come out on video. I was actually surprised to see it in the video store though. You all should definitely rent it. My hubby & I stopped eating fast food in February, and I'm glad! LOL But this would make just about anyone think about their decisions when it comes to eating out. There are so many other options that are better for you. Subway is definitely the BEST fast food around here! We eat there every now and then. And then there are a few place around that make FRESH hamburgers, you just gotta look for 'em.

This all really worried me though because I've got a cousin that takes her kids to McDonalds AT LEAST 3 days a week. That's child abuse . . . you all will know what I'm talking about once you see this documentary!

sammy101
10-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I HATE McDONALDS!!:mad: Yuck!! and i live in Houston,and thats the fattest city in the U.S,and you see this place everywhere,i hate it.I like Wendys,and Jack in the Box,and i go there mabye once or twice a month,and usually at Wendys i have there salads,which i love them and they are very good and healthy for you.
Almost every McDonalds i go to,ther dirty,and the tables have ketchup and who knows what on them.its greasy,and i jsut hate it. the last time i've been there was probly almost 5 months ago,and i didnt enjoy it.i dont know how people can eat there:eek:

cubby31682
10-02-2004, 07:22 PM
I work at Mc Donalds, and our sales went down when this documentary came out in theaters. Now that it is on video I know our sales will go down again. Although I am an employee, I don't eat their food on a daily basis. I know that the guy ate a big mac meal supersized with a drink. I know that in it's self is a lot of food let alone pop. I do plan on renting it, I am very interested in it.

chrissycat21
10-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Another reason for me to hate McDonalds....:p

PJ's Mom
10-02-2004, 10:15 PM
I haven't seen this, although I intend to soon.

For any of you who watch the Food Network and more specifically, Good Eats, AB posted this on his website when he saw it...he makes good points and this may help you to decide to watch it (or not)

Sunday, July 18, 2004

I just saw the movie “Supersize Me” and I have to say that I liked it. It was fun, irreverent film making on a shoestring and it’s good to know that filmmakers can still pull that sort of thing off.

What shocked me about the movie wasn’t what it said, or. Heck I already new most of that stuff. What shocked me were the gasps I heard from the audience, most of whom seemed generally surprised that big business could be so…well…business like.

Here’s what it comes down to kids. Ronald McDonald doesn’t give a damn about you. Neither does that little minx Wendy or any of the other icons of drivethroughdom. And you know what, they’re not supposed to. They’re businesses doing what businesses do. They don’t love you. They are not going to laugh with you on your birthdays, or hold you when you’re sick and sad. They won’t be with you when you graduate, when your children are born or when you die. You will be with you and your family and friends will be with you. And, if you’re any kind of human being, you will be there for them. And you know what, you and your family and friends are supposed to provide you with nourishment too. That’s right folks, feeding someone is an act of caring. We will always be fed best by those that care, be it ourselves or the aforementioned friends and family.

We are fat and sick and dying because we have handed a basic, fundamental and intimate function of life over to corporations. We choose to value our nourishment so little that we entrust it to strangers. We hand our lives over to big companies and then drag them to court when the deal goes bad. This is insanity.

Feed yourselves.
Feed your loved ones.
And for God’s sake feed your children.

Don’t trust anyone else to do it…not anyone. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t go out to dinner every now and then…that is after all one of the great joys of life…but it isn’t life itself and that’s what I’m talking about.

Is MacDonalds food bad for you? What do you think? Does that mean you shouldn’t eat it? No, it just means you shouldn’t live on it or anything else made by someone you wouldn’t hug.

Burgers don’t kill people.
People kill people.
Don’t be one of them.

A

posted by Alton Brown, 8:08 PM

Just some interesting reading. Sorry if it's too long. :)

christa
10-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by sammy101
I HATE McDONALDS!!:mad: Yuck!! and i live in Houston,and thats the fattest city in the U.S,and you see this place everywhere,i hate it.

LOL, he actually went to a Houston McDonalds in the documentary. Ordered some type of special Texas sized McDonalds burger.

pitc9
10-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Humm... I think I'll have to go rent it!

guster girl
10-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Anyone who is still surprised by big businesses only being about the bottom line is crazy. And, anyone who thinks Mcdonald's won't make you unhealthy is outta there, too. Hey, I eat it once in awhile, but, I know what I'm doing to myself when I do. I haven't seen the documentary yet.

christa
10-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
Anyone who is still surprised by big businesses only being about the bottom line is crazy. And, anyone who thinks Mcdonald's won't make you unhealthy is outta there, too. Hey, I eat it once in awhile, but, I know what I'm doing to myself when I do. I haven't seen the documentary yet.

I know, I know . . . BUT I don't think people have any clue as to the extent of damage that this food is doing to their bodies.

Sad part is, school lunches are prepared in similar ways. It's processed, frozen, made to look like food . . . lunch ladies don't cook anymore, they reheat . . . and the food is comparable to McDonalds as far as nutrition goes. (that's all in the documentary as well)

lizzielou742
10-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I plan on renting it as well. Just the thought of trying to eat that much McDonald's makes me want to vomit!! YUCK!

I liked that Alton Brown article PJ's Mom posted. I like Altyon Brown and I agree with him on this one. I do not, however, hate McDonald's as a corporation. When I was four and had my heart surgery in Cincinnati, my parents were able to stay with me 24 hours a day because there was a Ronald McDonald House right across the street from the hospital. They knew no one in Cincinnati, and there's no way they could have afforded a hotel room for two weeks. That's one good thing McDonald's has done for me. Oh yeah, and I had my 5th birthday party at a McDonald's Playland, and Ronald McDonald came. :D ;)

cfuh
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
My brother watched that movie and got McDonald's afterwards with his friends. LOL :D

Even after hearing about how the fries didn't mold after a few weeks, I still like them. I don't eat them on a daily basis thought cause I know they are definitely not healthy. In moderation as my mom always tells me.

I'm gonna rent the movie as well.