View Full Version : Boy Shoots Prized Horse

pitc9
09-30-2004, 09:40 AM
:mad: :eek:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3772582/detail.html

httpTeen Charged With Shooting Prized Horse
Horse Had To Be Euthanized

UPDATED: 9:45 AM EDT September 30, 2004

NEW PLYMOUTH, Ohio -- A teenager has been charged with shooting a prized horse on an Ohio farm that later had to be euthanized by police.

A show horse was shot and left to die along a rural road in Vinton County last month, WCMH-TV reported. Vinton County Sheriff David Hickey said Wednesday that he charged a 13-year-old boy with the Aug. 21 shooting of the half-Andalusian filly.

The teen was charged with one count of cruelty to and injuring animals, a first-degree misdemeanor. Hickey said he expected a felony charge, but that the Ohio Revised Code differentiates between animals and other types of property.

Authorities believe someone drove to Equestrian Ridge Farm in New Plymouth, lured a 3-year-old show horse to a fence and shot her between the eyes.

"It had severe trauma and bleeding and one of its eyes was blown away," said Jackie Stewart, owner of Equestrian Ridge Farm. "It was a horrible sight to see."

A neighbor believes he saw at least one suspect drive away in a pick-up truck moments after hearing the shot at about 7 p.m.

The neighbor called 911, but it was too late for the $7,500 horse that was raised on the farm since birth.

"(Authorities) had to put the horse out with two more gunshots," said Stewart. "It makes it really tough to know how loved it was … by the young girl who owned it."

Hickey said he believes another teenager will be charged in the incident.

Hickey said he does not know the motive for the shooting.

ramanth
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dukedogsmom
09-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Give me a gun and I'll let him know exactly how that horse felt! Only, I wouldn't make it a quick death at all. Shoot a couple of knees, first, make him really miserable. There's a special place in hell for this little hellion.

snappy
09-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Ok I am nieve, but what is a 13 year old doing with a gun in the first place? I know someone will respond that some get them all the time....go hunting :mad: etc. But I think the parents of this child should be held accountable also.

I will gladly help Dukedogsmom with the task of letting the boy know what the horse felt.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

DJFyrewolf36
09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
:mad: I wish this was a felony....stupid people

caseysmom
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
The sad part is this is not a felony and this punk will probably grow up to be some sicko murderer I have said it a million times but kids need pets to learn empathy.

dukedogsmom
09-30-2004, 05:11 PM
I sometimes think it can't be learned. I think some are just born evil and have no feelings. A lot of killers have said they have no feelings at all.

caseysmom
09-30-2004, 06:05 PM
I wonder that too, are some just born "bad seeds" it seems so.

KYS
09-30-2004, 06:16 PM
I wish it were a felony too.
It never ceases to amaze me how cruel
us humans can be.

Sweet Sixy
09-30-2004, 06:24 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(
There is nothing that breaks my heart more than sick people who can't be kind to innocent animals. That is disgusting!!! Who are the parents of this child...omg....

cocker_luva
09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Give me a gun and I'll let him know exactly how that horse felt! Only, I wouldn't make it a quick death at all. Shoot a couple of knees, first, make him really miserable. There's a special place in hell for this little hellion.

exactly plus more!!! :mad: i hope this bastard rots in prison, then in hell!!!

rg_girlca
09-30-2004, 10:28 PM
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG

"SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE, ONLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGALTO KILL THEM." :mad: :mad:

leslie
09-30-2004, 11:43 PM
In November, animal abuse will be a felony in mass. YAY! So in ohio it is not? Just a misdimeanor? Even so, he should be charged and if laws ever change, he will eventually serve serious time- this kind of crime usually repeats itself- this is one sick kid.

Friendy2004
10-01-2004, 10:55 AM
I am very upset about this as well... But I guess the part that upsets me the most is that the animal had to get shot 2 more times before it was killed... Could something more humane been done? Just curious.

chrissycat21
10-01-2004, 05:24 PM
:( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

How could someone do something that to a kind, inoccent, loving animal? Hey, dukedogsmom, need any help?:p

QueenScoopalot
10-01-2004, 08:53 PM
I agree the parents are responsible for this 'demon spawn's' actions. They most likely bought this kid the gun that he used. This sounds like the type of kid that will be popping off others in the classroom. :mad: He should be serving some heavy duty jail time IMO! :mad: :mad: Poor horse didn't deserve to suffer so horribly. RIP :(

leslie
10-01-2004, 09:04 PM
I guess I assumed that when I read the horses owner was a young girl, that the boy who shot the horse did it to hurt her. That she had rebuffed his attentions... I went back and re-read and it doesn't say this but I guess I want to believe there is at least a REASON to insanity...If this IS the case, she will know who it is. Even if not, I assume in these rural areas most everyone knows everyone or at least through acquaintances (and kids know kids through other kids). And at minimum, bully's love to boast about their bad deeds, He WILL blab on himself to someone and it will come out. Darn I do wish he'd get serious time. But yet HERE WE GO YET AGAIN. ANOTHER ANIMAL ABUSE CASE THAT WILL GO INTO NEXT YEAR AND WE WON'T HEAR THE END RESULT!!! THAT, to me is the frustrating part.

The_Duck
10-01-2004, 10:01 PM
*blink blink*:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There was a barn set on fire close to my school and four horses died in the fire. Then the guy that killed them ran away from the cops, wrecked his car after plowing over the nail strips, waved his gun in a womans face and took her car and has been holed up in some poor peoples house for the last 2 days, I think with them in it. Several shots have been reported from inside the house, so...who knows whats happening with them.

I say we take that man and this stupid kid and string them up by there toes. Use their chests for dart boards and chop of there fingers and place their hands in buckets of viniger!

*cough cough* Ok..sorry about that little bout there, but as the mother of 2 wonderful horses...I can't help but feel very enraged. (please note I'm not a phsyco ax murder, just a POed Equine parent):p

Desert Arabian
10-01-2004, 10:07 PM
*Crying* Ok, if that was me I would seriously go nuts and tie that kid up to a pole and beat him senseless with a bat all over his body, but not kill him, and let him hang there and suffer. Then MAYBE I might shoot him to put him out of his misery- or maybe not, just let him suffer to death. I don't care if I go to prision, because my life would not be the same anyhow if someone killed my horse- I would die inside and have no reason to live anyhow.

I hope that kid suffers real good, maybe get seriously injured somewhere down the road (like shoot himself or something) then rots in hell. I hope the little filly is romping around the giant fields of Heaven, poor thing, at least her suffering is over and her happiness will live on forever.

:( So sad. Sick SOB!

leslie
10-01-2004, 10:14 PM
The duck- is this happening right now? Can you send us the news story? It is of interest! If it is a past story- can you send us any news story on what the law did to him? I find it very aggravating to not know how these people are punished. How can we be politically active in this area when we are kept in the dark?

The_Duck
10-01-2004, 10:31 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/stories/public/200410/01/0ehh_news.html

Friday, October 01, 2004

Police show patience

Friend says man who has history of criminal charges 'snapped' under various pressures

Barricaded in his former employer's home at 8264 Louisville Road without water, electricity or telephone service, 41-year-old Russell Leroy Sublett of Smiths Grove continues his standoff with law enforcement officers today, despite his family and friends pleas for surrender.

Sublett was fired from his job as a farmhand on David Stewart's property about a month ago due to an altercation with a co-worker, according to Sublett's friends of nine years, Tommy and Melissa Cobb of Bowling Green.

Additionally, they said Sublett was experiencing difficulty in his relationship with his 12-year-old son from a previous marriage. The boy and his mother live in Glasgow.

Sublett became so distressed that he began hinting at the possibility of taking drastic action.

"He was just saying to me the other day, Don't be surprised if you see me on the news some time soon," Melissa Cobb said.

"He said if we saw him on the news, it would be over his kid or over (his being fired). That's when I said, Russ, don't do anything stupid."

Tommy Cobb described his friend as a "Christian fellow ... a really good person, generous and kind, though lacking a trust in people."

"He's snapped is what it is," he said.

Sublett's last visit to Warren County Regional Jail, in January, was in violation of a domestic violence order obtained by his wife, Liz Sublett, from whom he is separated.

Stewart posted the $10,000 unsecured bond to free Sublett from jail in relation to that charge, which was not his first domestic violence-related charge. Additionally, Sublett has charges, including wanton endangerment and receiving stolen property over $300, that date to 1992 in Barren County, where several of his family members reside.

In Warren County, Sublett has been previously indicted on charges of robbery, assault, wanton endangerment, resisting arrest and attempting to elude police, among others. The charges in Warren County date back to 1994.

"Sublett, I understand, has a lengthy, extensive criminal record," said Chris Cohron, Warren County first assistant commonwealth's attorney. "He was a known individual to all the agencies involved (in the standoff)."

Police are waiting for Sublett to surrender, though he continues to fire shots from within the house toward officers.

Police have repeatedly released chemicals and pepper spray into the house, but the effects are apparently minimized by the home's spacious design.

The brick, two-story home has five bathrooms, two fireplaces and about 12,746 square feet of living space.

Sublett's closest friends and family members have tried to coax him out of the home.

"A selected number of people have been chosen, have tried and failed and those are the people who are the closest blood relation to him," said Todd Holder, KSP public affairs officer. "Everybody's saying they can get him out. They know they can."

Tommy Cobb was one such person ; one of dozens of friends who offered to help police talk Sublett into a truce.

As he stood Thursday afternoon outside the crime scene tape, inquiring about his friend's condition, Cobb recalled the Sunday visit from Sublett during which the man dropped off his gray Chevrolet Silverado truck. Sublett said the family could have the truck in the event that anything happened to him.

"He kept making little insinuations to me," Cobb said, staring toward the house where his friend continued to shoot toward police. "If anything ever happens to me, this truck is yours, and so on. I never put it all together."

Officers began pursuing Sublett around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday after he fled from Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents who were attempting to serve a search warrant at a residence in Glasgow where Sublett was staying.

State police soon joined the chase, which wound down U.S. 68-Ky. 80 into Warren County. At the Interstate 65 interchange, KSP used stop sticks that partially disabled Sublett's El Camino, but didn't stop Sublett from continuing west on the highway until he hit an oncoming car.

Sublett, armed with a semiautomatic pistol, then abandoned his car in the middle of the road and began exchanging gunfire with officers. He carjacked a vehicle, throwing the female driver out.

No one was injured in the accident, gun battle or carjacking.

Sublett drove the stolen vehicle further down U.S. 68-Ky. 80, right onto U.S. 31-W north and, around 5:15 p.m., crashed into the front door of the approximate $800,000 home owned by Stewart.

leslie
10-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh my! They didn't even mention the fire! What a horrible situation! I feel for everyone in this! He has likely come to his senses and now can't get out of it.. or hasn't come to his senses which is what law enforcement is legally to assume and act on- if he comes out, he'll be shot unless their is some agreement. I didn't quite get if there were people in the house with him and if so how many? (sorry, I'm a skimmer and have to re-read a lot!) Thank you much for posting this, makes me feel lucky to be where I am when I am!

The_Duck
10-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Yes. I think right now that the death of the four horses isn't really on their top priority lists as to where this man is concerned. Let's all pray that their's nobody in that house, and that this man comes out alive (though the horses part makes me want to press the backspace button over that) and hopefuly a changed man who can gain forgivness for the wrong he's done and move on. If not for his sake, he should be trying to do the right thing for the sake of his kid.

leslie
10-02-2004, 12:00 AM
I suppose it's most likely no one is in the house as there is no water, etc. Keep us posted ok? maybe when the morning news breaks out, you could start a new thread with the story you posted here? I was just on dog house in Richard's thread about Mario (he's a monkey owned by a pt member here, if you go there you will see). Any way, I had forgotten how monkeys are in jeapordy in India and Pakistan because their homes (I think is what happened) were chopped down. So if you have time, go there and look at the story I posted there. It is unfortunate that the religion there does not believe in spaying or neutering their pets!
By the way- this is a message to anyone visiting this post regarding animal cruelty- not just horses as it has started out and will continue- just a slight diversion....