PDA

View Full Version : Volcano????

FizzGiggs_Mommy
09-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Is it true Mt. St. Helen is going to erupt???? I hope everyone in Washington State will be smart and evacuate.

:confused: I think mother nature is mad at us:confused: All of these hurricanes then a earthquake in Cal last night two tornadoes in NJ and now this Volcano:(

lizzielou742
09-29-2004, 10:01 AM
I know! :eek:

Here's two interesting articles:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002047584_webhelens27.html

http://www.fs.fed.us./gpnf/mshnvm/

Karen
09-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Seeing as California and Washington are on the same edge of of the continental plates, the volcano/earthquake connection makes sense. Just hope everyone stays safe and follows any evacuation orders given!

DJFyrewolf36
09-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Oh H**L!!! My brother and his family and my Grandmother both live near there! Sigh, I think you're right FizzGiggs, nature seems pretty POed!

My mom and grandma saw the first time Mt Saint Helens blew its lid. Mom even has a little container of ash from it.

cfuh
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by FizzGiggs_Mommy
Is it true Mt. St. Helen is going to erupt???? I hope everyone in Washington State will be smart and evacuate.

:confused: I think mother nature is mad at us:confused: All of these hurricanes then a earthquake in Cal last night two tornadoes in NJ and now this Volcano:(

there were tornados in jersey...where? :eek: :eek: my parents live in central jersey by the shore?!?!?!

lizzielou742
09-29-2004, 07:02 PM
uppy-date:

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=71467

September 29, 2004

Activity At Mount St. Helens Prompts Advisory

VANCOUVER, Wash. - Scientists raised the volcanic activity level at Mount St. Helens to a level two 'Volcanic Advisory' Wednesday afternoon. Earlier in the week the mountain was at a level one 'Notice of Volcanic Unrest'

They say earthquakes are "ramping up," which is increasing the likelihood of an eruption.

Scientists expect an eruption would be limited to within three miles of the volcano.

They do not expect a repeat of the big 1980 blast at Mount St. Helens.

Scientists told reporters at a news conference at the Volcano Observatory in Vancouver that they are more convinced now that magma is moving under the volcano.

Small earthquakes are now occurring at the rate of four a minute.

There also is a preliminary report that the lava dome in the crater has moved an inch-and-a-half, which could indicate pressure is building up in the volcano from gasses or magma.

The 1980 blast killed 57 people, leveled forests and dumped ash over the Northwest.

RICHARD
09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Lava
by B-52s

My body's burnin' like a lava from a Mauna Loa
My heart's crackin' like a Krakatoa
Krakatoa, east of Java, molten bodies, fiery lava

Fire, fire, burnin' bright
Turn on your love lava
Turn on your lava light
Fire, oh volcano, over you
Don't let your lava love turn to stone
Keep it burnin'
Keep it burnin' here at home

Oooo Hot Lava
Oooo Hot Lava

My love may be as high as the highest volcano
But the altitude is way too high
Well it gets so cold when you look at me that way---yeah
I just wanna have that hot lava
Lovin' me away

My love's mountin'
My love's eruptin' like a red hot volcano
Fire, oh volcano, over you
I gotta lotta lava love locked up inside me

My love's a lava bomb
Knock you in the head
Knock you in the head
Kick you in the lava bed
Over you, hot lava
Don't let your lava love turn to stone
Keep in burnin'

Oooo it's so hot
It's burnin' up in here
Oooo look out, it's about to erupt
Oooo my body's burnin' like a lava from a Mauna Loa
My heart's crackin' like a Krakatoa

Hot fire, red-hot fire
Lava, ohh, hot lava
Hot lava, red-hot lava
Hot lava, re-e-ed, hot lava
Oh hot lava

I'm gonna let it go
Let it flow like Pompeii or Herculaneum
Let it sizzle, let it rise
Don't let your lava love flow turn to stone
Keep it burnin'

I'm gonna jump in a crater
See ya later
Oooo hot lava
Oooo hot lava
Hot lava
Red hot lava
Hot lava
Red hot lava
Yeah

--------------------------

One of my favorite songs!:eek: :D ;) :rolleyes:

Pam
09-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by cfuh
there were tornados in jersey...where? :eek: :eek: my parents live in central jersey by the shore?!?!?!

In South Jersey, Cherry Hill to be exact, about 15 min. from me and right down the street from where my hubby works. It tore through a shopping center and did a lot of damage to a supermarket and the cars in the parking lot as well as other stores in the center. There was also another one about an hour away in New Castle, Delaware. We don't usually have tornados in my neck of the woods so this was really creepy.

RubyMutt
09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
lol, DO NOT worry about us (but thank you for your concern) :D

There's really no need at all to evacuate anywhere, unless, perhaps, you're a mountain man living on MSH. It's impossible for the eruption to be as massive as the 1980 eruption. Not to mention, the mountain is located in an incredibly rural area. Some cities may get some ash in the air, but it's nothing to be concerned about :) It's actually rather exciting :D

Freckles
10-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Yep! Right NOW!:)

But now it's slowed down.

gini
10-01-2004, 02:35 PM
And it is very dramatic to see live on television, even though this was a minor eruption.

But stay tuned, they think there may be more eruptions.

LoudLou
10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Yep. Mt. St. Helens has indigestion, she has burped, I believe she feels better now... ;)

Freckles
10-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Here is a link to Mount St Helens vocano (http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/). You might see the next steam eruption here. :)

Freckles
03-08-2005, 08:16 PM
It's blowing steam and ash right now.:)
Blowing East.
Earlier this week they were talking about opening Johnston Ridge for visitors. Think that will change!

Karen
03-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Be safe everyone!

Corinna
03-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Just talked to mom who lives in Washington,its blowing and yes thank you very much,blowing east my way. Some great pictures on the ABC stations.