PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale prices

kuhio98
09-28-2004, 10:24 PM
We're having a garage sale this Saturday to raise funds for Second Chances - http://www.alaskacaninerescue.com/

This is so stupid, but I've never been to a garage sale. I have absolutely no idea how much to charge for things. Can you help me? What would you charge for:

videos?
CDs?
tapes?
paperback books?
plush toys?
board games?
puzzles?
earrings?
necklaces?
bracelets?
candle holders?
Christmas ornaments?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Karen
09-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Paperback books - 50 cents, less if no one is buying any. If they're really beat up, charge 25ยข, books aren't usualy great sellers. Everything else depends on what kinda shape it's in, and what prices are normal in your area. Separate the "real" from the "costume" jewelry, put all the jewelry in one area so it doesn't get "lost" amidst the rest of the larger items.

Put up a sign that all proceeds go to charity, and tell people they can pay as much OVER the marked price as they want. Smile as you say it! Have hot or cold (depending on the weather) drinks available for sale cheaply, people will linger longer while they sip.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Karen
, books aren't usualy great sellers.

Isn't that weird!! I LOVE garage sales primarily FOR the books - I tend to spead-read, so I can get through 2 or 3 paperbacks in a slow week, and I can't afford to buy new books all the time.

I am convinced that one day I will find a treasure in a garage sale and it will be worth a fortune, so I spend hours scratching in junk shops etc!:rolleyes:

christa
09-29-2004, 07:08 AM
We had a garage sale a few weeks ago. I put $1 on just about everything. Went pretty well. It adds up quick.

Something I thought was wierd though, NO ONE even looked at any of the clothes, and I had awesome stuff for sale! Name brands galore!!!

They definitely come for junk! We had tons of awesome stuff and one of the first things to go was an assortment bag of pipe cleaners. :rolleyes: People even came in wanting to buy the scrap wood out of the garage!!! Geesh!

kuhio98
10-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Well, we raised $215 at the sale yesterday. It spitted a few raindrops at us but at least it didn't snow (like it did last Saturday).

Karen, you were right. We priced the paperbacks at 25 cents and did not sell a SINGLE ONE! :eek:

CDs $3, Videos $3, Tapes $1 sold very well.
Kitchen stuff - crystal, pottery from Portugal, terracotta stuff was priced between $1 and $5 but did not sell even after I dropped prices.

But, we did raise $215 for Second Chances and found a new family for "Snowball" a 2-year old American Eskimo who was abandoned by a breeder after giving birth to her second litter. Snowball and Helen (my neighbor) fell in love with each other at first sight. Helen introduced Snowball to her 3 cats and it went well. We were nervous because Snowball has been scared of cats in the past).

Thanks for the tips.

Uabassoon
10-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm glad to hear the garage sale went well and you were able to make $215 for a wonderful cause :)

Karen
10-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98
Karen, you were right. We priced the paperbacks at 25 cents and did not sell a SINGLE ONE! :eek:

I'm always surprized, because I Looooove books, and love to read. Hey - maybe you should mail all the books that didn't sell to Ally Cat's Mom! ;) Do you have Annie's Book Stops near you? It's a small chain of stores that just do used books, mainly paperbacks, cheap. They PREFER, of course, that you spend the money you get for books you bring in for more books, but they do sometimes give cash if you ask nicely, for used books in good condition.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I'm always surprized, because I Looooove books, and love to read. Hey - maybe you should mail all the books that didn't sell to Ally Cat's Mom! ;)

You are SOOO right - I bet if I was there I would have walked away with LOADS!!!

We are having a craft fair this weekend, so I am going trawling for books and early Christmas pressies!!