PDA

View Full Version : Agility - Need Advice!!

BCBlondie
09-28-2004, 07:06 PM
I've always wanted to do agility... And before my aunt gave me Sesh, I REALLY wanted a BC that I can compete in Agility with one day...

I was thinking of getting a BC that I can actually do agility with, since Sesh refuses to do anything and HATES pleasing and learning things.. :rolleyes: :(
But, because of a complicated situation, some people told me to just try to work with Sesh. Sooo I was going to try to do that....

I emailed an Agility trainer in my area, with this email:

I'm interested in starting Agility... I have a Border
Collie, and I've tried to do a little agility at home,
but he doesn't seem to be that interested. I was
thinking, is there a way to try a class out with him
to see if he likes it or not? I don't want to have to
pay $100+ on classes if he refuses to do anything. Or,
can I pay for the classes and have my BC come the
first day, and if he doesn't like it, then continue
with my Pomeranian? (She already knows some basic
agility stuff, like the tunnel, hurdles, dogwalk and
stuff)

Thanks again!
~ Diana
His reply was:

Dear Diana,

You can't know from one class whether a dog will like agility or not.
You really have to commit to the whole series of lessons to really make
a determination. Once you start the class there are not refunds.

Best regards,
So what should I do?? :confused:

binka_nugget
09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Try it out! :D

Kai *hated* his advance obedience class. He's timid of new things in general but he is extremely fearful of men (we had one in our class). He wouldn't even sit for me for the first 3 classes. Then on the 4th class, he got to do jumps. His self confidence sky rocketed from that one class. After that class, he started enjoying class and actually went from refusing to do a sit to doing a down on recall! Kai's favorite part of the class were the mini agility contests. He always got so excited and whined until it was his turn. :D

He started out like Sesh too. He would rather sleep than learn but the agility stuff really changed him. :D

jenfer
09-28-2004, 08:19 PM
yup, i agree with ash. you never know unless try it out. in gigi's class there is a black lab, she was shy at the beginning, but the trainer and the owner slowly works with her and now she is doing pretty good. :) as for gigi, she loves it. lol.