PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in CA

lizzielou742
09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Did anyone feel it?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=4&u=/ap/20040928/ap_on_re_us/calif_quake

Strong Earthquake Strikes Central Calif.

5 minutes ago

U.S. National - AP

PARKFIELD, Calif. - A strong earthquake struck Central California on Tuesday, and it was felt from San Francisco to the Los Angeles area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There was no immediate report of injuries.

The quake, which struck at 10:15 a.m. PDT, had a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 and was centered 9 miles south of Parkfield. The area is 17 miles northeast of Paso Robles, scene of an earthquake that killed two people in December 2003.

An aftershock of 5.0 magnitude struck four minutes later.

Paso Robles police said there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

"It rattled everything hanging on the walls and the chandelier was swinging. It didn't do any damage to our house. There were two shakers, one right after the other," said Ben Brown, who lives in Paso Robles.

The quake was felt along a 350-mile stretch, as far north as San Francisco and as far south as Santa Ana, southeast of Los Angeles, the geological survey said.

Parkfield, located on the San Andreas fault, is known as the earthquake capital of California.

A magnitude 5 quake can cause considerable damage and a magnitude 6 quake severe damage, though problems are generally far less severe in remote areas and areas with strong building codes.

-------------------------------------------

And there have been several small earthquakes in the crater of Mt. St. Helens the past couple of weeks! :eek:
http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEASES/MSH_09_2004.html

:eek:

Logan
09-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Hope all of our friends in California are ok. We'll be saying our prayers for you all.

Let's see.....Hurricanes in Florida and the Southeast, sharks in Cape Cod, Earthquakes in California........

I think September needs to hurry up and be over!!!!!! :eek:

Tonya
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I didn't feel it at all and I am in Central California. Lol. Shows how much I pay attention. I was in church at that time today, all of the old ladies singing must have distracted me. :p

popcornbird
09-28-2004, 02:49 PM
We had an earthquake? :eek:

:confused:

I was informed of the earthquake from the news, otherwise I would have had no idea.

They say it was felt from San Francisco all the way down to LA, and was a 6.0 which is a BIG earthquake. I didn't feel anything. I was in the bathroom at school at 10:15am.......No one felt anything. No one in my family, no one at school, no one at my dad's work. Weird...

DJFyrewolf36
09-28-2004, 03:19 PM
No reports of damage that I have heard. They say we should have felt something all the way here (Carson city Nv) but nothing so far.

catland
09-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I hope everyone is ok.

btw - along with the Florida hurricanes and California quakes, our very own volcano, Mt. Saint Helens - is showing seismic activity (I'm about 60 miles south of there).

Take care everyone.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Didn't feel anything over here.

I didn't even know we HAD an earthquake in CA until someone *ahem* ;) PM'ed me and asked if we felt anything over here. 6.0 is pretty big, too. Weird..

RICHARD
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
PSHAW!

Don't mean to sound flip about this.....

Let's not let a little earthquake distract us from the people who are really going thru the disasters in Florida, I saw some pictures from some of the worst hit areas.............

popcornbird
09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/28/california.quake.ap/index.html

PARKFIELD, California (AP) -- A strong earthquake shook the state Tuesday from Los Angeles to San Francisco, cracking pipes, breaking bottles of wine and knocking pictures from walls.

There were no immediate reports of any injuries from the 6.0-magnitude quake and its more than 160 aftershocks.

More than 160 aftershocks??? Good heavens! Did ANY of the Californians on PT feel anything, or am I the only insane one? It really makes no sense that we didn't feel a 6.0 earthquake that was felt as north as Sacramento and as south as Santa Ana, with the center between LA and San Francisco. :confused: According to the news, it should have been felt in almost the whole state, but so far, everyone I've talked to and myself haven't felt anything at all. My tiels usually go insane hours before an earthquake, bu they are perfectly fine today.

I guess Californians have grown so immune to quakes they just don't feel them anymore. :confused: Did ANYONE feel it?

Ps. Richard, you're right (can you believe I said that???) Our earthquakes don't even COMPARE to hurricanes. I saw the pictures of Florida. Very scary and very sad. :(

RICHARD
09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Ps. Richard, you're right (can you believe I said that???) Our earthquakes don't even COMPARE to hurricanes. I saw the pictures of Florida. Very scary and very sad. :(

I used to ask my dad about his preference, hurricane or earthquake???

The only difference is that in an earthquake, you find all your stuff in a pile, not spread across the county.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have a heart.....I saw the Wizard a few weeks ago!;)

KYS
09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I did not feel it in Los Angeles.

Kater
09-28-2004, 07:34 PM
My brother in Salinas is about 112 miles from Parkfield. He was at work when the earthquake hit and says "the whole area rocked and rolled for nearly a minute." His building is constructed to earthquake code and is on rollers. No one was hurt and there does not appear to have been any damage to the building.

I'm guessing he is closer to Parkfield than those of you who did not feel it...:confused:

BCBlondie
09-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm in Berkeley, CA.... (about 30mins east of SF) Didn't feel a single thing....
Didn't even know there was an earthquake... :confused: LOL

Tonya
09-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Kater
My brother in Salinas is about 112 miles from Parkfield. He was at work when the earthquake hit and says "the whole area rocked and rolled for nearly a minute." His building is constructed to earthquake code and is on rollers. No one was hurt and there does not appear to have been any damage to the building.

I'm guessing he is closer to Parkfield than those of you who did not feel it...:confused:

Salinas is about an hour and a half from me, Parkfield is about three hours.

Felicia's Mom
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I heard about it on the radio news. I'm glad no one was injured.

NoahsMommy
09-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Nope, didn't feel it here either. We're about 3 hours south of Parkfield.

RICHARD
09-29-2004, 05:57 PM
ANOTHER QUAKE @ 1557 HERE IN LOST ANGELES.....

A nice swaying motion..east to west....
:eek: :D