PDA

View Full Version : Any gardeners here? Need advice! :/

Kirsten
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I had a so-called Lucky Bamboo, and it has been growing very fast...

Well, at least since yesterday, then Lily knocked the flower pot down and it broke:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/bamboo.jpg

Any chances to save the plant? Maybe trying to keep the upper part in water for a while and hope it will get roots?

And the lower part? It still has roots. When I plant it again, are there any chance it will grow new leaves?

I would be very sad to give this plant up!

Kirsten

chrissycat21
09-27-2004, 05:21 PM
If you put the part with out roots in some water the roots should grow back. Thats what my mom does with our bamboo when Snowy knocks some off.

jenluckenbach
09-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Sorry I don't know anything about that type of plant. Boy that Lilly can sure cause a mess. :)

Kirsten
09-29-2004, 12:03 PM
LOL, Jen, so true! :D

Chrissy, thanks a lot! Seems to work very well, I can already see some tiny little roots! :)

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Bamboo is pretty hardy! With a bit of luck you will get two plants from the original!

Kirsten
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Do you think it's worth a try to also plant the part that has lost the leaves? Will they grow back, and do I have to do something to stimulate the growth of new leaves?

Kirsten

Miss Meow
09-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Kirsten, you can probably try re-potting it with seed raising mix as that soil is finer than normal potting soil.

We dip the bottoms of our cuttings with honey to stimulate new root growth so maybe that'll help when you're planting. And a weak seaweed solution from the nursery every couple of weeks will reduce the stress on the plant.

Or ... it might kill it :) We don't have any plants in the house as they tend to jump off tables all by themselves too ;)

Killearn Kitties
10-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Kirsten, I would definitely plant the bit with the roots but no leaves. I don't know that htere is anything you can do to that bit to encourage growth, but hopefully with banboo being so tough, it will come back.