PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Lily is addicted to cat perfume... :)

Kirsten
09-27-2004, 04:57 PM
I still have a bottle of valerian cat perfum from Denmark, and especially Lily is crazy for it! :D I only need to mention the word "cat perfume" and she starts crying demandingly. :D

And when I bring out the bottle, she's showing severe symptoms of addiction, look:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily175.jpg

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily176.jpg

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily177.jpg

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily178.jpg

Lily, you're supposed to smell the perfume, not to drink it! :D

And here she is, rolling happily on the bed: :)

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily179.jpg

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 05:37 PM
cat perfume? What does it do? I assume since its valarian it calms a kitty down? Hrm I should buy stock in that company :rolleyes:

leslie
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
What an interesting product! do tell us more about it! Is it like a catnip reaction or a calming after affect? (as should be..) I mean she looks catnip excited! What a pretty kitty and now she smells pretty too (or at least I guess her breath is pretty from licking the perfume!) Does Luna react to it at all?

sirrahbed
09-27-2004, 09:16 PM
I am curious too! I have Valerian extract and ...well...Valerian is known for the nasty smell-sort of like month old gym socks or like a VERY dirty catbox:eek: Does this perfume actually have a pleasant smell???

Uniqueviking
09-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Aww, how sweet. She reacts just like Boomer does when he sees the bottle.

Just let me know when you need more :)

Leslie, it's like a catnip reaction.

Killearn Kitties
09-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Lily precious, you just can't get into that bottle fast enough can you!! :D You are always beautiful though, precious, even iif you are acting with unladylike haste!

catmandu
09-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Lily,is it really that good? We are going,to havethe feeder,buy some! Is it expensive,Inquiring Found Cats,need to know!!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Looks like she'd eat the bottle and everything if you let her! Must be wonderful stuff. I wonder if there's somewhere us US people and buy that online.....hmmm....have to go searching....

Lily is adorable as ever! :D

DJFyrewolf36
09-28-2004, 11:50 AM
If you find anything Debbie, let me know! *It would be funny to dose Remus right before I go to work hehehe*

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Here's (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030415/1755.html) a good website on just exactly what Valerian is. Now I just have to find out where to buy it. Sounds like a wonderful thing!:)

Varga
09-28-2004, 02:48 PM
They sell that stuff over here as well. My friend even named his cat after it (if I'm not mistaken, it's called Baldrian in Danish).

I've never tried it on Leo yet, but I think I can remeber my former cat Ivar ( He got hit by a car and died, about a year ago ) was TOTALLY crazy about it. He was also a great fan of catnip, so I 'spose it's no surprise :D

-Varga

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I couldn't find any for sale in the US. The only websites I found that actually sell it were in the UK. I didn't check it out, but it's possible they would ship to the US. Just do a search on Google for valerian +cat and you'll find something.

:( Guess T & P will have to go without for the time being. Although....I might just try planting the plant myself next year. But then I might have every cat in the neighborhood fighting over it. :rolleyes: ;)

RedHedd
09-28-2004, 10:40 PM
You can buy it for a very reasonable sum from http://www.vitaminshoppe.com or any health-food store. And now I want to try it on my fur kids!

sirrahbed
09-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Are we talking about regular Valerian root and Valerian extracts like they sell in herbal and vitamin stores for people?? If so - what about the SMELL?:eek: OMEGOSH - if anyone has smelled this stuff you will NEVER forget it! Maybe the feline variety is something different - I am confused:confused:
I use Valerian myself as a calamative but it stinks to high heaven!!
Trust me on this one!! I have assorted brands and types (tea, capsules, extract) PEEE----UUUUUU:eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Maybe the feline variety is something different - I am confused:confused:

Deb, I was confused too. When I first did a search, I got tons of hits but it was all just the herbal form of it and didn't specifically mention cats, so I wasn't sure. I thought maybe they diluted it a bit for cats or something. I only found those few UK websites when I did a specific search for cats.

The sites did mention how it will smell awful to us humans but that the kitties seem to really like it. They said it sort of smells like dirty socks....and kitties love it....which might explain some kitty's infatuation with stinky shoes (Slick, are you listening? ;) ).

So Deb, why not do an experiment and let your crew get a few whiffs of what you have on hand and let us know what the results are. ;)

sirrahbed
09-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
So Deb, why not do an experiment and let your crew get a few whiffs of what you have on hand and let us know what the results are. ;)

OK I did just that - took an old aired out catnip pillow and dosed it with the pure extract. Emily and Eliot gave it a sniff and walked off. Only Dylan gave any attention to it, rolled around for 30 seconds or so, gave a few bunny kicks and then sauntered off. So, guess what I have is of no interest. It sure works on ME though - very calming and makes me sleepy;) And YIKES is it stinky!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Hmmm....so possibly it's more diluted for humans? Interesting, thanks for the test Deb. :D

Kirsten
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Are we talking about regular Valerian root and Valerian extracts like they sell in herbal and vitamin stores for people??

I guess it's those extracts you can get in herbal stores. Over here in Germany, valerian tea is very popular when you cannot sleep. Stinks terrible, and the cat perfume smells the same. And it has the same effect on cats! While it makes humans calming down, cats go crazy about it, just like they do with cat nip.

But boy it stinks!!! I don't know why it is so attractive to cats!!

Luna loves it also, but since Lily is always acting so wild and weird, she's keeping the distance now. :)

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
I always thought Valarian smells like wet dirt. Perhaps thats why its so attractive? I tell you what though, brew some pure Valarian into a tea and youre out like a light (at least I am lol). Works good for stomach ailments too :)

catfamily
09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Very interesting stuff.I've never heard of it.But glad to read on it.
:D
Sorry I had to change my user name from carla and mike.To many computer problems this week.But everything is all fixed now.:D

sirrahbed
09-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
While it makes humans calming down, cats go crazy about it, just like they do with cat nip.

This is interesting Kirsten. It must indeed be the same thing as valerian here is used for sleep and nervousness. Catnip is also sold and used as a sleep/nerves aid. I buy mine in bulk - also available as a teabag - at a nutrition store. (much less expensive and stronger than what is sold for cats in pet stores) I brew it as a tea and it puts me in dreamland quite nicely! That very same dried catnip tea is what I give the kitties for play.
How odd that what calms our nervous sysytem - is the opposite for our cats!

catfamily
09-30-2004, 05:41 AM
I think I'd like top try some of that.:D