PDA

View Full Version : Here's my chance

4 feline house
11-01-2001, 10:09 PM
George and Shadow's people are moving out. This is something I have been praying for for quite sometime, but that's another thread! So I will have to decide, probably tonight, if I want to steal these two sweeties, have them neutered and vaccinated, and rehome them with people who really love and understand kitties. It would be two weeks before I could have them vetted, since rent comes out of this check, and I'm not real crazy about having two unneutered, unvaccinated cats with my regular four in my very small house for two weeks, so I'm tempted to once again remind myself that I can't save them all and let them be taken away by people who will never take steps to see that they live longer than two or three years. I'll let everyone know what I decide. They didn't even start moving out until about two hours ago, and even then they have moved so little so far that me and my son didn't realize they were even moving at first, (we did a little dance when we realized they were) so I doubt they will finish the job tonight, especially with it being a work/school night. So I may have at least one more night to mull this over.....

Logan
11-01-2001, 10:51 PM
Oh, Leah, but if there is chance to save a couple......maybe you should!!! And work to find permanent homes for them. Surely there is someone who would take them in.

Good luck
Logan

Cougie Wechsler
11-02-2001, 12:02 AM
4 Feline, I will be praying for you - Good luck and God Bless you for caring!

aly
11-02-2001, 12:28 AM
Leah, I don't know the whole story on these 2 kitties, but I am willing to do what I can do help. Shiloh hates cats but I could still try to keep them here for a little while seperated from her. Or I could talk to my shelter and see if we could make any room for them. We are over-run with cats right now, but I think I can sweet talk the receiving people :) Or I can send a contribution to get them fixed. Just let me know if you need any help at all!

4 feline house
11-02-2001, 02:54 AM
Well, I had to get up tonight to fix an insulin reaction. While I was up I checked and saw that George was in his makeshift bed we made for him a few nights ago, (he's been there every night since, even tho it was chilly only that one night) and while I was tanking up on carbs I decided to check out Pet Talk. Seeing these replies made me decide to at least make an attempt - I don't know where Shadow goes at night, but I'm going to bring George in and see how that goes.

Aly, I greatly appreciate your offers, and will let you know if I need assistance. The story on these two little guys is that my upstairs neighbors, who at the time was only a woman and her teenage daughter, decided to adopt two kittens. My radar immediately went up because I knew very little about these people at the time but what I did know is:[list=1]
They already had to get rid of a dog when she soiled the carpet from being sick and neglected
They were obviously, well, what a lot of people would call....trailer trash
They were very self-centered, selfish, and clearly lacking even a modicum of intelligence
[/list=a]
Since the kitties came, so has her son and a new boyfriend. Of course, the cats have never been neutered, so I'm sure they've also had no shots. Well, I don't know if someone was allergic or if they began spraying the house, but the cats began spending more and more time outside, until they were completely banished. They are outside when the folks upstairs are all gone for days at a time, they are outside in all kinds of weather, and they are outside during mating season, I'm sure making babies.

Well, I'm going to get George, and I'll keep everyone posted.....

4 feline house
11-02-2001, 03:02 AM
Carried him in, box and all! A little hissing and growling on his part, but my four didn't even seem to notice! He's in the bathroom. I'm not sure how I'm going to get Shadow because he's always been the more elusive of the two, and I don't know where he sleeps.....

TheAntiPam
11-02-2001, 03:20 AM
I'm praying for you - and all the kitties involved. I hope you can find Shadow. Thanks for having the courage to put actions with your beliefs. Please keep us posted!

zippy-kat
11-02-2001, 08:45 AM
Good Luck 4Feline!
One down, one to go!

wolflady
11-02-2001, 11:28 AM
4 feline, bless your heart for taking action to better these cat's lives. It really is ashame when people like that get pets. I always wonder why they do in the first place??! :mad: I sure hope you can get ahold of Shadow, and please keep us posted on what happens! **hugs**

purrley
11-02-2001, 11:40 AM
4 feline - guess it's true you can't save the world, but when that part of the world is right in your face it's so hard to turn away. God Bless you for the action you're taking - I'm sure George is very, very grateful even though he may not show it now. I know you can find a loving home for both the kitties. Good luck on getting hold of the other one and God Bless Ya!!!!

yorkster
11-02-2001, 05:40 PM
Oh, 4felinehouse! You are soooo awesome for doing this. Good luck and keep us all posted!!!

4 feline house
11-02-2001, 07:10 PM
Well, sadly, they managed to leave with Shadow. I never did see him last night, and a few times I went out to look but I could always see movement in their windows, so I was afraid I might be heard if I tried to call him. They left me a note offering a $20.00 reward if I should happen to find George and call them!

It occurred to me, if I am for some reason unable to adopt him out, I could at least get him neutered and vaccinated, and make sure he is always inside when it is really hot, really cold, or stormy. He would still be better off than before, and there would still be no little Georges being made. I would consider it a last resort, but a possibility if worse does come to worse.

4 feline house
11-02-2001, 09:35 PM
Well, this ended up being a real short story! With a happy ending! George is already adopted! My son had some friends over, and one of them said they had been wanting a cat since one of theirs died leaving the other lonely and depressed, so he called his mom who came over, loved George, understood his history and background, was okay with the fact that he had probably never been to a vet, answered all the questions right, even uses my vet! I think George helped his case by talking to her like a Siamese and headbutting her the whole time she was here! An unexpected resolution! Of course, I'll always worry about Shadow.........

aly
11-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Leah, I am sick to my stomach and in tears after hearing about those people. I want to run around screaming obscenities at people like that :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bless you for saving George. You did the best you could for Shadow and I hope he will be okay. You're a saint. Always let me know in the future if you have more situations and need financial, physical, or emotional help. We aren't THAT far away.