PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fence do you have?

Tina
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
My husband and I are thinking of putting up a fence around just our front yard. We were trying to decide what kind we want. We are wanting a good fence to keep the dogs from getting out of it.

We don't really need a privacy fence since we don't have many neighbors close by. I thought maybe a chain link fence, but my husband said it would cost us close to $5,000 to fence just 1/2 arce we have. So I told him we could just fence the front yard and not all of it.

He also said something about those underground fences. Anyone have one or know anything about them?

We do have some fence around our property but it belongs to my uncle.

I just thought maybe I could get some ideas and maybe a price range? We haven't measured anything yet. So I'm not sure how much we will need.

LorraineO
09-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Well.. how big are your dogs? If they are large,, a taller fence might be in order... of they are shorter,, maybe something smaller is good enuff... I dont have a fence in my yard,, but in my next house,, we will for sure,, and it will be wood,,,,

any fence is gonna be pricey,, esp if it has to cover a large area..

Underground fence,, I have heard good and bad,,, personally,,, I wouldnt trust it! But thats just me.

Tina
09-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Ginger and Reggie are both little dogs. We are talking about getting another Boxer maybe around November or December. Nothing is forsure though.

I think someone has some chain link fence for sale that they had left over. I'm not really sure how much we will be able to fence though. I believe they were only wanting $75 for it. So I don't think it was much. I also think it was 6ft. high I can't remember right now.

Only reason he said something about the underground fence was because couple of his friends has it. He said that it works for both of them.

Glacier
09-27-2004, 11:29 AM
We used livestock fencing around our place. The holes start off very small and get bigger as the fence gets taller. We used eight foot stuff, but we bend about 18 inches at the bottom under and than tack it to the ground. It helps stop the digging under. It's not real pretty, but we live in the boonies so who cares?! It's also much cheaper than chainlink. If Photbucket ever decides to start working again, you can see some pics of our latest fence in my other thread.

Chain link is expensive stuff. We have some smaller areas done in chainlink, but it was used fence that was donated to us. Chainlink is also a real PITA to work with. It gets caught on itself and causes all sorts of swearing, well, it makes my hubby swear anyway!:p

I don't like underground fences. They don't generally work for huskies. We tried one one Muskwa before and it didn't even slow him down! They also don't keep other dogs, people or animals out. If you were only going to use the underground fence when you were supervising the dogs & you have dogs with good recall, it might be an option.

Christiansmommy
09-27-2004, 11:38 AM
We have a split rail fence. We live in a neighborhood that has a home owners association, so that is the only fence alllowed anyway. But we like it. It has the wire surroundng it too, to keep Dale in, although, he would stay in even w/o the wire, he isnt a digger or jumper. We got a quote to have a fencing company do it and they quoted around $2900, so we went to the good 'ol Home Depot and did it ourselves for around $800 give or take. We rented a gas powered hole digger and were done with a days time. Our yard is only a 1/4 of an acre, though, so yours would cost a little more. I will have to take a pic and post it...

chocolatepuppy
09-27-2004, 11:49 AM
We have a 6ft wooden fence along the back of our property and a 4ft chain link to finish it off. Only our backyard is fenced. It's a 90 ft by 60 ft enclosure. We put up the wood one ourselves for under $400. but that was 10 years ago and the chain link part cost us $1500. to have put up four years ago. I agree with some of the others about the underground fencing,we did think about it, but I would never feel it was safe and other dogs could go right over it.

Tina
09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't think we are going go with the underground fence. It just scares me to much. Though it may work good for his friend's.

We are not really looking to fence all of our property. We may just end up doing a small area for them. Maybe we could do part fence and part chain link.

We live in a really rocky area too, that is going be a pain it self when we try put up a fence.:mad:

Jadapit
09-27-2004, 12:51 PM
We went with chain link. We could not believe how much it ended up costing. It was $500.00 to fence part of our front yard. We also live on 1/2 acre and someday we want to fence the whole thing but money is an issue with us.:p

We live right by a busy road and the fence was a must. We live in the country and for some reason people use these roads like a race track. It really makes me mad.:mad: I feel so much better now that our dogs are in a fence. It was sooooo worth the money.

DogLover9501
09-27-2004, 01:02 PM
We also have chain link :)

pitc9
09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
We have a wooden fence (we have to, we have stupid neighbors)
We have it 6' as far as we could go, then we had to drop down to 4' (that's where Sierra and the neighbor's dog fight :mad:)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/pa0a537380cd81d4b105baa29fb7b966b/f7b83b7b.jpg

Tonya
09-27-2004, 01:05 PM
We have an iron fence and gate. The bars are pretty basic, they're smooth and they go straight up and down. We put it in at both houses, we bought it at Lowes. It was expensive though. I don't remember what we paid at the old house, but at this one, it was $300 to just go about 20 ft. They're indestructible and never need to be painted though, so I guess it'll pay off in the long run.

One thing to keep in mind...put the latch on the opposite side of the dogs. Roxy figured out how to stand up on her hind legs and open the latch with her paw.

*edit* Two sides of our fence are wood, like PITC's, and the back is a brick wall. We just put the iron up to divide the yard, it's kind of like a big dog run.

jazzcat
09-27-2004, 01:23 PM
We have 5 foot chainlink around our backyard - it was that way when we bought it - but we put up privacy fence around the pool so the nosey neighbors won't stare at us all summer. I'd love to have a decorative fence in the front to keep all the neighborhood kids out. The bus stop is in front of our house and they use my front porch as shelter when it rains sometimes. I hate getting woke up at 7:15am by screaming and yelling kids on my porch.

My brother put up a 4 foot chainlink fence for his Blue Tick Coonhound and if Bart gets worked up enough he can jump it.

bckrazy
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
we have a normal wood fence around our backyard, on the back of the yard there is rod iron fencing because of the golf course behind us. the rod iron actually works really well, its only about 4 ft but Gonzo has never wanted to jump it. Except small dogs can squeeze thru.. Ginger could probably get right past it. Chain link would work well, I don't think its very expensive if you do it yourself. :) good luck Tina

prechrswife
09-27-2004, 02:36 PM
We have chain-link. I think it is 4 feet high. (We've got Jeanne leftovers today, so I'm not going outside to measure.;)) Our dogs are bassets, though, so there is no danger of them jumping the fence. Oscar did figure out how to open one of the gates, though, so now all of our gates have chains.

Tina
09-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I'm not sure what we will do. Maybe just build a dog run or something. We will just have to look around at prices.:)

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-27-2004, 07:24 PM
A black iron fence to keep Blaze IN...but it isn't working as he still escapes, goes exploring and comes back after a while. Ahhhh! It drives me nuts, but at least he knows this is home. ;) We're going to find out how he escapes one of these days...hum...:rolleyes:

sammy101
09-27-2004, 08:32 PM
We have a wood fence and its great,because lots of dogs like to climb out of chain link fences,and its easier for dogs to dig under chain link,so iwould recommend a wood fence. our fence is about 8-9 feet?? somewhere around there.and it keeps Kodie in!!:D

robinh
09-28-2004, 07:55 AM
We live in the country and did the livestock fence in the back yard only. It's great for the little ones. I know Carly could jump it if she wants, but she never has. Where else would she go? No one would spoil her nearly as well as we do and I think she knows it.
:D

Kfamr
09-28-2004, 08:01 AM
We have a 6 or so foot wooden fence all around our backyard.

I'd never trust anything other than that.
Especially not an underground fence.

molucass
09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
We have an 8 ft. wooden privacy fence around the whole backyard.

Tina
09-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Well I know we are not getting a underground fence. I just don't think I'd trust it.

We are just going put a fence around part of our yard for now. We will probably go with the chain link fence.