PDA

View Full Version : Experiences in human/feline communication anyone?

Kirsten
09-27-2004, 06:50 AM
I would like to add a chapter on this to catmom.de (http://www.catmom.de/engl/) since there doesn't seem to be much information on this subject so far, but I think there's still a lot of potential that hasn't been documented yet.

I'm not talking about only reading the cat's body language, I know there are books about it; I'm more talking about ways to try to find a "common" language or to use parts of of the feline (body) language/behavior pattern to have a better communication with cats.

For example I found out that when you're blinking at cats with both your eyes, they would often come to you and want to be petted. Blinking is a friendly gesture in the feline world, it is their way to smile at someone, so it seems to me they recognize this when you do it to them.

Or something I copied from the mother cats to "discipline" kittens when they're acting too wild: Growing at them or nudging their noses, for example when they're biting your hands (something many kittens love to do, especially when they are teething). This method worked very well with both Luna and Lily when they were little. :)

To approach a cat, even one I haven't seen before, I'm kneeling down to their size (well, at least almost) and reach out my hand, showing them the back of my hand/fingers to let them sniff first. Often they would come over that way to get to know me, and if they don't, it's their decision. I'm even doing that with my own cats before I pet them, I let them "greet" me first.

Anyone else here who has developed a kind of a mutual language? And if so, what are you doing to communicate? I would like to use some examples in my report, if you agree. :)

Kirsten

sirrahbed
09-27-2004, 07:03 AM
I have read that the ultimate in trust in when a kitty will roll over and expose their belly to you - that it is only done among family members and close friends - never to strangers or casual visitors. I notice that me laying down on the couch or bed is also and invitation for them to come over and walk on me, headbutt, snuggle, and settle in:)

Kirsten
09-27-2004, 07:08 AM
That is sweet! Mine do that also! :)

Yes, it could be very well that they interpret this as a gesture of trust from you! :)

Kirsten

catmandu
09-27-2004, 09:33 AM
I do,the eye blink,with The found Cats,and I find,that when I meeeeoooow,they often mmmmmeeeeeeeoooooow,right back,especially the Siamese Squad!

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 09:43 AM
I've gotten quite good at imitating Remus' meows. When he is being friendly, his meow is short. I find that if I meow back he takes it as a sign for him to headrub me and cuddle. If his meow is long *meeeeooooow as opposed to a short little mrow* it is a sign he is agetated (he usually is out of food or water when he does this but he'll yowl if I don't have my bedroom door open or if I lock him out when I take a shower. He also yowls if he gets too wet. He'll escalate to yowling too if I don't respond to his quick meows.) Impatient kitty! I notice too Debbie, that if I lay down on my back Remus is generally up in my face (even when Im playing a game :rolleyes: ).

nibblets
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
In one of the cat books I have called Cat Speak, it says to convey 'I love you' to a cat, you make eye contact and then do a slow blink of both eyes. I can to this to Julie and she will either blink back or she will come over and jump up on my lap.

When she was young and would start to bite me, I would make a little whimper sound and she would stop. It worked in training her not to bite when we play. She still gets a wild hair every not and then and takes a bite, but not hard enough to break the skin, just hard enough to say 'I'm a bad a**.'

We talk all the time. She loves to carry on conversations. When I sit at the computer, she will come up behind me and stretch up so she can tap me on the back to let me know she needs a bit of attention.