PDA

View Full Version : fish

Jods
09-26-2004, 08:43 PM
My sicky fishy... Earlier this morning I bought a shubunkin friend for my other shubunkin (sp) noticed after a while he wasn't doing all that well had ick and that so I treated the tank hope I'm not speaking to soon but I don't see any ick on him at all anymore YAY!! and he is swimming about the tank and loving it... earlier he just laid at the bottom... I hope he stay okay!! :D here's a pic hes the bigger white and orange one.

teenster3
09-26-2004, 11:26 PM
You said you just bought him this morning?
I think they need to adjust to the water temp for alittle while before they swim around. NOT that I'm a fish expert by all means! I just remember having to go through that with our 4 fish.:) I hope he is ok now though!!!!!

manda_moo87
09-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Oooo... such a pretty fishy! :)

kingrattus
09-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Treat the fish for the Max amount of time the med. bottle says. Just because u cannot see it, doesn't mean its no there.. I have had thousands of Goldfish & all need to be medicated when u first get them..

U need to open the bag for air & allow the bagged fish to sit in the new tank water for about 30 mins to adjust the temp of the bagged water so ur fishy doesn't go into shock & die.

When I buy my feeder goldfish (300-400 at a time) I treat the fish right in their bags for about 30 mins & then set them free. I use LOTS of charcoal in my pond filter that it breaks down the meds. so it cannot harm the turtle.

Jods
09-27-2004, 08:00 AM
yeah he did sit in the bag for 30 min.... yeah trust me my moms a fish finnatic lol... Okay thanks I will treat him again tonight

kingrattus
09-27-2004, 10:31 AM
that thing in the back corner, is it just a bubbler or is it a filter too?

It could just be a reflection from the plastic but the water looks cloudy, which tells me there isn't a filter or its a poor filter or the filter isn't being used, or ur feeding ur fish too much food.

I've had fish all my life. My papents started teaching me how to care for fish just a couple yrs old. Then when I turned 7 I got my own tank for my bedroom.

My oldest fish was Captain Red, I had him for about 7 years. He would have lived longer, but my neighbour accitently killed him & his tank mate, Jaws & stick. Stick was about 5 years old, he was a weather loach, & Jaws was about 2 years old, he was a green commet.

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Quarantine tanks are a good thing! I learned that the hard way when I killed my mollies that I had raised up from fry. :(

kingrattus
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
hmmm good idea "Quarantine tanks".. I never had one. I would just med. the tank the day before I put the new fish in & med again for a week, to make sure all was fine.

I use to have a billion guppies in a 10 gallon tank. They were feeders for my turtle, but they ended up bredding so much that they were becomeing suicidal!!! they keptjumping out of the tank & were all over the floor. I put up a screen to save them but then they went to eating eachother.. it was crazy!! Poor turtle had a billion in his tank & never went hungry, but he just wasn't big enough his first year to keep their pop down hehehe.

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by kingrattus
hmmm good idea "Quarantine tanks".. I never had one. I would just med. the tank the day before I put the new fish in & med again for a week, to make sure all was fine.

That's a good idea too! I had a pair of dalmatian mollies for about five years that I raised up from teeny fry, and when I introduced a pair of corydoras to the tank everything died within a few days....I was SO upset... :( I'll be a lot more careful next time I set up a tank.

Jods
09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
The water's cloudy cus I just cleaned it ;)... I have both bubbler and filter...

kingrattus
09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
The water's cloudy cus I just cleaned it ... I have both bubbler and filter...
------------------

it shouldn't be cloudy ever, unless there is a problem.

I've never had cloudy from a water change, only when something is wrong, like when Oscar was deadly ill, or when my fish have outgrown their tanks & I have to wait to buy a new one, but even then I changed he water every other day.

So maybe ur goldfish r too large for the tank their in.

I had 2 goldfish & 1 weatherloach /10 gallon of water. & remember Goldfish r always growing. They grow like a dog does, & the small tanks just slow ther growth down, until they die. A 10 gallon is a great sized tank for 2 fish to live very long lives. But the bigger the tank the happier the fish will be & it'll show in their life span.

& if u treat ur goldfish right, u'll be able to pet them & hand feed them. & they'll get to know u 7 will go nuts when u get near their tank & will go insane when u pick up the food bottle...

Fish aren't as stupid as many say they r. My Oscar is SUPER smart. She understands where the heat comes from in her tank. Once the heater broke & was boiling her water, she was trying to pickup the heater off the bottom & toss it out of her tank. I saw what she was doing & found it odd. So I went to turn it down again for her & her water was sooo hot I don't know how she was still alive. She also uderstands that the intake on the filter will suck up unwanted things. I've watched her remove the cover to the instake, carry it to the other side of the tank & then start picking up rocks she didn't want in her tank & start to stick then into the intake. She even put a dead fish there once. She kept trying to hard to make it fit, it was funny.:D :D :D

Jods
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
okay thanks for the advice... It always goes cloudy when I clean any of my tanks until it all settles in about 10 min... wierd... I will try what you told me though